Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

ONR question once again

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
brgurung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ONR question once again

Hi,

I read so much about ONR in this forum, I just ordered it yesterday. I live in apartment complex and do not have access to hose for car wash. So I used to go to self-service car wash station. But it would always be a race against time there plus I wasn't able to wash it properly as somebody would be in a queue behind.

When I read about ONR, I was really happy. Most of the people seem to use it only during winter. I'm in San Diego and it's sunny most of the time. If I wash my car once a week, can I just replace normal wash with ONR rinseless wash? Or it's only short-term solution?

Also, I have 2009 BO G37 - recently bought. It has few swirls and minor scratches. Since I don't have buffer (and don't know how to use it), I'll have to go to professional detailer to remove them. Is it better to remove them now or wait for 4-5 months when i might have some more scratches. I'm planning to clay and apply sealant on my car next weekend.

Sorry for the long post. This forum has been really helpful to me. Thanks for all the help guys.

Regards,
Bik
Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You are fine to use ONR all the time especially if you use it often. Now if your car is really dirty, you may consider using another option, but use ONR all the time on my G and don't have any problems.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can use ONR to wash your G regularly. Not only do people in the colder climates use it in the winter, a lot of people in the south use it when there are heavy water restrictions enforced in their area. It's totally safe to use regularly.

Regarding getting your G detailed, if you plan on claying and sealing your car next weekend, I would recommend getting it detailed by a professional first to get rid of your paint imperfections. I don't really see much of a reason to wait for another 5 months to get it done. Personally, I give my vehicles a full detail twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

ONR is the only thing I use on all my cars because it WORKS and it is FAST. It is an ideal product for an apartment dweller. I use it in my garage and the amount of ONR that ends up on the ground is less than minimal and evaporates by the time I am done. The product is beyond description as far as I am concerned.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
brgurung

Hi,

Thanks a lot for quick responses. I'm happy to know I can use ONR for regular wash )

As for swirl/scratch marks, I just wanted to wait few more months due to pure financial reason ) It seems it costs at least more than $150-$200 for minor swirl/scratch removal, rite? As my car is new, it has scratches only in few places. So I thought why not wait few more months! As I'm new to washing/detailing my car myself, I'm bound to have more swirl marks soon - even though I'm following 2 buckets method with grit-guard and MF waffle towel for drying as recommended on this site.
If these paint imperfections are not treated on time, can they affect the paint later on?

Thank you again,
Bik
Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

If the paint imperfections are not removed now, it certainly won't affect the paint later on. You can wait for a couple more years if you wish, and a professional detailer will still be able to remove them for you.......it just may take a little more work on the detail's behalf. In the meantime while you wait to get it detailed, give her a claying and a sealant like you mentioned previously and you'll be good. Btw, what claybar will you be using?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 AM
09G37xCpe

ONR is awesome. We have been getting blasted this year up here with snow and road salt and just flat out nastiness and ONR cleans the car up in no time. In fact I did an ONR wash last night.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM
brgurung

I got DI clay bar package from detailed image. I think it's gentle fine grade clay bar and comes with Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe as lubricant.
I'm applying claybar for the first time. I hope I won't create more swirls.

Btw it's out of context, but is it recommended to buy PC orbital buffer for beginners too? Or I'm good with hand application only. I'm planning to give my car for full-detail to professionals (mostly for polishing part) once or may be twice a year. Otherwise, I'll do washing, claying. applying sealant/wax myself. So was just thinking whether buying buffer is necessary or not. It seems I'm bitten with detailing bug now. I hope I can continue
Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

^ Sounds like you purchased Claymagic Fine Grade claybar. It's great stuff, I use it myself.

Regarding your question about the PC, yes it can easily be used by beginners. You really don't have to worry to much about messing up your paint with a random orbital polisher like the PC. A rotary however is a different story. Anyways, if you plan on getting your G professionally detailed and only plan on claying/sealing/waxing yourself, I wouldn't bother purchasing a PC. If you were looking at doing paint correction yourself I absolutely would recommend picking up one, however it's not required whatsoever for sealing/waxing. I hope that helps.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:51 PM
brgurung

Hi,

Thanks again for your advice. I have one more question though

I had a minor accident with my car recently and had to get right fender changed and bumper repaired. The body shop also repainted part of hood/bumper/fender to match the color. They said it'll take 30 days for the paint to get cured and asked me to refrain from washing the front part with soap.
So my question is - is there any way I can wash my car ( front side ) with water only and not worried about scratches/swirl marks? Can I use ONR on it too? If not, what method do you recommend to wash my car.

Also after the paint is cured in 30 days, I can clay/polish the front part of the car too right? Next week I'm going to clay and apply the sealant in other parts of the car.

I thank you again for all the responses. I'm a total beginner in detailing and have learned a lot from this forum.

regards,
Bikas
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I would not wash the repaired area with anything but water as per their advice. I would not go at it with ONR either.