Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Review 5 Star Shine!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
5 Star Shine!

"From technology proven in the aerospace industry comes a paint protection system guaranteed to protect your car's finish for 5 years and keep it incredibly clean. 5 Star Shine's unique PPS technology took over a decade to develop and patent. In fact, 5 Star Shine's PPS formula is the only paint protection system ever awarded a U.S. patent and tested to survive over 150 washings!"

So, I've decided to try it out to see if it's a gimmick or not. With shipping (to Canada) is priced at $90 USD; which is considered pretty expensive for a small bottle like that. Two bottles; one's a cleaning solution, which you'll use 1 gallon of water with, and the other is the wax (more like sealant). And a waxing pad.

I pretty much used 70% of the bottle to wax the entire car; which means it's a one shot deal for bigger vehicles.

If it really last 5 years then maybe it's worth it... But right now, it looks pretty , plus the paint surface is very very smooth.

We'll see what happens after a few washes, see how it stands over time from dirt and road grime.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cchrissy%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <wisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</wisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <wisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>2</wisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:SpaceForUL/> <w:BalanceSingleByteDoubleByteWidth/> <woNotLeaveBackslashAlone/> <w:ULTrailSpace/> <woNotExpandShiftReturn/> <w:AdjustLineHeightInTable/> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:新細明體; panose-1:2 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:PMingLiU; mso-font-charset:136; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 137232384 22 0 1048577 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@新細明體"; panose-1:2 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:136; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 137232384 22 0 1048577 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:新細明體; mso-font-kerning:1.0pt;} span.arialplain {mso-style-name:arialplain;} /* Page Definitions */ @page {mso-page-border-surround-header:no; mso-page-border-surround-footer:no;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:42.55pt; mso-footer-margin:49.6pt; mso-paper-source:0; layout-grid:18.0pt;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

Be great if someone can post those pics for me
<!--[endif]-->
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

Last edited by Black Betty; 02-21-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Embedded images per OP request
Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Does water bead up and roll off of your car with this? I so report back in 6 months and tell us if it still does without anything else (like wax) layered on top of it.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Interesting product. So what was your application process? Degrease, wash, clay, then use these two bottles?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Road gets really slushy up here in Canada, the car needs to be washed quick often, I'll check up on it 2 months later
Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Legz
Registered Member

I didn't use the washing bottle, instead I used Optimum No Rinse since washing in winter is an issue up here. Didn't clay it either since the car is only 6 month old. However, I did make sure that the previous layer of wax is completely off - then left it in the garage for 2 days to let the wax seal.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ It would surprise you to see how much surface contamination can be removed by a claybar after 6 months.

Anyways, I have serious doubts that this product will truly give you paint protection for 5 years. Show me tests after 5 years and I'll believe, but until then I'll say it's a farce.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW. at last, i thought i was the only one who heard about the PPS technology, i started a thread a while ago asking about PPS but no one responded... so i thought PPs was a gimmick... i initially wanted to have my new car layered with it too, but after consulting with a lot of people(most from forums, who are detailers) i decided to back out. What PPS does is put a layer of teflon on top of the paint to protect it, but i am not allowed to wax the car after because it will decrease the layer or shorten its lifespan, and yea, it said it is guaranteed for 5 years.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
ProTan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I am nuts but I wouldn't buy a product for $90.00 that has a crooked label. I work for a company that manufactures skin care products. We ship thousands of items per day. Each and everyone is inspected against a template. If the label is crooked it doesn't ship. Also I purchase and approve many of our Bottles and tubes. Those caps and bottles are by far the cheapest stock available..

Quality control is very important and if you cant get a label on straight I dont trust whats in the bottle.... Just a pet peev of mine... Maybe I am wrong but if you are making a high quality car care item as a company wouldn't you think that people might pay attention to things like that? They can help make your car look it's best but they cant deliver a bottle that looks perfect? I mean you are going to have the bottle for five years, dont you think they could at least work to make the packaging look decent?

Maybe great stuff but I would never use it.