Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Purchasing the following to detail/wash.. few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitdog540
Clay bar not needed....detailers recommend it because??? $$$

I would match my detailing with any detailer. I just think more damage can
come from someone who doesn't know how to clay a car.
Hey, if you think clay barring a new vehicle isn't necessary, by all means don't do it. That is your choice. But don't think for one second that professional detailers clay bar a vehicle during a new car prep is just to make money. That is far from the truth. Every single professional detailer that I have ever dealt with is a perfectionist and wants to offer their customers the best detail possible, including myself. There are many differences between a novice detailer and a professional one, this is just one of them.

But again, if you feel clay barring is not a valuable step towards obtaining a perfect finish on a new car, that's your prerogative.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You guys saying that claying a new car isn't necessary must either be smoking crack or have no idea what it does for a car's finish. I don't care if it came in a hermetically sealed bubble, there are contaminants on the car's paint when it rolls off the truck. I know this for a fact because I used to not believe it. I ordered my car and was there personally when it came off the truck. I used to not believe that it was needed on a brand new car. Then I did the sandwich bag test the first day I had my car and was amazed at how it felt. Even more so, when I clayed half a panel and felt the side by side before/after there was no doubt that I had been wrong.

It is most certainly necessary. Like Garnet Canuck, a long time respected forum veteran and trusted professional detailer says, don't do it if you are somehow convinced you know more about the matter than people who earn their living doing detailing do. But please don't spread the falsehood to new people who don't know any better.

Professional detailers spend the extra time, money and elbow grease to clay their own car even when they aren't getting any money for it. How does one explain that if it's "just about money?"
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
... I used to not believe that it was needed on a brand new car. Then I did the sandwich bag test the first day I had my car and was amazed at how it felt. Even more so, when I clayed half a panel and felt the side by side before/after there was no doubt that I had been wrong...
Well said GC and BB. I have seen a few cases where a dealership will do a great job on a dealer prep and for a small percentage of people using a clay bar will not be necessary. I know on my moms G37X, I could see where the plastic started and ended because there was a build up of contamination in those areas during the transportation of the vehicle.

Hitdog does bring up a valid point that improperly claying a car can add marring and imperfections which would require it to be polished out, but if you take your time and follow a proper clay bar guide you shouldn't have any problems on a new car.

Here's another perspective on why you should clay bar a new vehicle.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Jeremy/George, thanks for chiming in with your thoughts and experiences as well. This section of the forum is to educate and help each other care for their G properly. And while there are always exceptions to the rule, claying a brand new vehicle is always recommended.

Sometimes, even polishing is recommended. As an example, here is a customer's vehicle that was brought to me for a new car prep. His Bimmer was only TWO weeks old when he brought it to me!! After looking at his paint condition under my halogen lamps I informed him (and showed him with pictures) what his paint condition was like. Needless to say, he got me to do more than the new car prep and polish it as well.

Two week old paint.

[IMG][/IMG]

After I was done (although not the same panel).

Like I mentioned earlier, every Professional detailer that I've met personally or online strives for perfection, no matter if it is a customer vehicle or their own. Detailing steps are recommended for a reason, not for a money grab.