Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Using Touch Up Paint.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using Touch Up Paint.

Before i use the touch up paint on my car to fix the scratch what should i do before i apply it on the car as far as washing, sanding ect..
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Old 02-06-2010, 11:08 AM
pwlorraine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously wash and dry carefully the car in the area you will be working in. I don't know where you live but here in the northeast is not the season to be working with paint outside - curing times will be messed up.

It is a challenge to get a good result with touch up paint - the paint and clearcoat you apply have a different contour to the rest of the panel and the repair looks like a small streak of water (exaggerating). This is why the body shop blends over an extended distance. If you google the subject you can find good faqs on how to do this - I read one where the person attached little disks of very fine sandpaper to the tips of pencils to selectively wet sand into the scratch and used a tapered toothpick to apply paint - very very little to avoid building a contour beyond the body.

Looking at your pic in your other thread, I'd be tempted to do a touch up as well. I think you'll continue to see it as you know where to look but after a repair it won't be noticeable to others casually looking at your car.

If your scratch is still in the paint or clear coat - not into the metal - you can try polishing the scratch first (just the scratch area!). You may be able to take it down enough to only need a clear coat touch up at the end. A dremel tool polishing bit might be helpful here.

Peter
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

what type of a product should i wash the area down with? are their special soaps and what not. also i am leaving the car in a heated garage right now then i am going to go back in a couple hours to touch it up. I will not be doing it outside its inside and the garage is heat and pretty warm. You think it will be fine in a heated garage?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

I just used the touch up paint on my car it looks great. How long should i wait until i wash the car and get it wet again? I just put the touch up paint on about 20 minutes ago.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
I just used the touch up paint on my car it looks great. How long should i wait until i wash the car and get it wet again? I just put the touch up paint on about 20 minutes ago.
I've always gotten great results from the touch up paint. I usually apply 2-3 coats of touch up (~10-15 mins apart) then let it set for a good 24 hours before any kind of washing/abrasion on the painted area
Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

have you used touch up paint on your car you currently own right now? how many scratches have u gotten? also in the future will these paint fade at all in the sun/car washes as the years go on or do they hold its body pretty well.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
have you used touch up paint on your car you currently own right now? how many scratches have u gotten? also in the future will these paint fade at all in the sun/car washes as the years go on or do they hold its body pretty well.
Yeah I sure have. I actually used it today on my G before I installed my Autokits-X stuff...I drove from SC to CO to TX for different air force stuff and had a handful of rock chips afterwards and used the touch up paint that I bought at Infiniti of Denver...it is the exact same color code as the stock paint, so if anything, it should stay with the stock paint. The only thing is there is no clear coat on top of it, but for small rock chips that's fine IMO. I just apply a handful of coats and it looks great, even I can barely find them unless I really search and I'm crazy about stuff like that on my G
Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Does the bottle of paint they gave you say "Nissan" on it? and is the paint code something like KH3 or whatever the code is?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 PM
G Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the bottle of paint they gave you say "Nissan" on it? and is the paint code something like KH3 or whatever the code is?
Yes. The bottle is labeled Nissan for the black obsidein paint.