Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Scratch on my headlight cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 AM
JMacsG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch on my headlight cover

I used to have overlays on the headlights, and didn't trust the installer. Once they came off i noticed this mark, looks like a piece just got sliced off. I've been told I maybe able to get fine sandpaper and water and it may make it a little less noticeable. Just wondered if anyone else had any other ideas for repairing it without replacing the entire cover.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Polish it out with a compound followed by increasingly finer polishes.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1. If too deep for just polish, you can wet sand and then polish. I have done it and you can not tell where the mark was.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Polish it out with a compound followed by increasingly finer polishes.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM
JMacsG37

I'll definitely try that this week while the weather stays nice. Any brands I should be looking for?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM
HamstersG

It is hard to tell from the picture if this is (1) something on the headlight left over from the overlay or (2) part of the headlight cover peeled off. If (1) try goo-off first and it can be used on the lights without damage and then just clean with lots of water and polish. If (2), you may have to wet-sand or use a polishing compound (not a rubbing compound) first to get it all smooth and then polish out the marks left by the wet-sand. For final polishing unless you are into detailing the entire car, I would just use some of the Meguiars products you can find over the counter. When you do use poishing compound or wet-sand, blue take off so you only hit the parts that need it as that will result in less work with the polishes to get it all shinny again. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks to me like a residue of some sort.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM
JMacsG37

I can't get a real good picture of it, but its not residue. By running my finger over it i can tell theres missing plastic. I tried to maybe clean it off some with some goo gone but that didn't do anything. I gotta wait until the weather gets a little better and I'm going to try the polish.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM
HamstersG

If some of the plastic is gone from the headlight, then it is going to take more than polish. See my post above. If not too deep, it can be made as good as new as the plastic the lights are made of can be sanded and then polished out.....I've done it on a friend's lights and you can not find it no matter how close you look. Just don't get in a hurry and do everything my hand (no buffer).

Originally Posted by JMacsG37
I can't get a real good picture of it, but its not residue. By running my finger over it i can tell theres missing plastic. I tried to maybe clean it off some with some goo gone but that didn't do anything. I gotta wait until the weather gets a little better and I'm going to try the polish.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Here's a guide on restoring headlights using sand paper and some polishing. This is about as far as your could go without actually replacing the headlight.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 PM
HamstersG

Great guide like the others you post. If he does not have a PC and if the problem area is small, I would suggest blue taping off just the damaged area and wet sand as little as possibe as that will be a lot less elbow grease. The one I did was only about 1/2" by 2" and that was enough manual labor. I sure wouldn't want to to the entire light by hand, but that is why I bought the PC from you. Come to think of it, I have to get some more supplies to do the whole car again once it is a little warmer.....swirls are starting to show up to much.

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Here's a guide on restoring headlights using sand paper and some polishing. This is about as far as your could go without actually replacing the headlight.

Good luck