Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Cloudy Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Mid-Life Crisis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cloudy Clear Bra

I've had a clear bra installed on my G since near new (don't know the brand). Lately I've been noticing it is no longer real clear but getting cloudy. I had it washed today as it was very dirty with road salt and melted snow slush. The city of Montreal uses a lot of salt in winter to keep the snow in check and my G is a daily drive.

After the wash, the clear bra was obviously cloudy and a finger rub showed there was still a residue on the surface. The hand-wash place advised the discolouration was due to the road salt. I did notice it becoming more cloudy for the past 6 months so it is more than salt residue. I haven't tried to give it a super-clean or scrub yet to remove any lingering contaminants but thought I'd ask for some advice first.

1. Is the cloudiness due to age (sun, etc) or the road salt?

2. What is the best way to maintain a clear bra? (only wash with soap? Protectant?

Appreciate any advice and comments.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 AM
juicybusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plexus is the safest bet to clean and polish but as has been mentioned here before a microfiber and 70% isopopyl alcohol has rectified a myriad of clear bra appearance issues for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 PM
jmark

I use Plexus after I wash my Nismo Z's clear bra.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:26 PM
g37musings

i second plexus.............
Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Originally Posted by g37musings
i second plexus.............
I think that would be 3rd.

Thanks for the inputs, I've ordered the product online and will hope for the best.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by juicybusa
plexus is the safest bet to clean and polish but as has been mentioned here before a microfiber and 70% isopopyl alcohol has rectified a myriad of clear bra appearance issues for me.
Do not use alchohol on film unless its 3M film. I have seen people ruin film with alchohol. Venture, Xpel, and other brands do not have the same clear coat 3M uses... so please do not recommend this unless you are sure they have 3M film on their car. I have been installing film for 7 years and I ALWAYS recommend you go back to your installer and get their advice. If you dont you can easily void your warranty since you tried something your installer did not recommend.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
juicybusa

plexus is safest-alcohol has worked for me-reportedly will damage some brands-use your own judgement
Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I used Plexus on the Clear Bra on my G35 and first G37. However, after my first G37 was totalled the installer told me to not use Plexus. I can't remember why, but I do remember him saying that it was because Plexus actually does have petroleum distillate and will cause the film to Yellow. XPel Film no longer recommends using Plexus and many manufacturers of film are following this.

I use the XPel Sealant now.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
A good way to properly maintain clear bras is to use a non abrasive chemical polish, like Klasse All in One. In one step you can remove some oxidation, brighten the clear bra as well as protect it in one step. This will make maintaining the clear bra easier when it comes to washing your car as it will help the heavy contamination fall right off.

Plexus has fillers in it to help mask imperfections, but it can fade and get washed out of the plastic you are trying to keep clean. It does work well for gauges and other clear plastic surfaces though.

Hope this helps.