Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

My 14 Hour Detail on My Brother's Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL =/

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 14 Hour Detail on My Brother's Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL =/

Yup, 14 hours over 3 days. He bought the car a month ago and the paint condition was hidden by some cheap wax at the time of purchase. After the first wash, low and behold, he discovered swirls on top swirls on top of scratches on top of scratches Right away he called me up and asked when I had some free time to detail his car. He came into town for the holidays so I figured i'd do it then. Started Friday and finished Sunday. Washed it, then clayed it. Gave it an alcohol wipe down to get rid of any kind of residue to see this under the halogens:

The ENTIRE CAR WAS THAT BAD but I didn't get a chance to snap too many pics because my priority was to correct the paint and totally forgot to snap pics along the way Brought out the Cyclo and used Blackfire Compound and yellow pads to get out the heavy swirls and light scratches after finding out a light cutting polish and pad combo wouldnt make the cut.

After one pass with Blackfire compound and yellow pads:

You can see there were still some deeper scratches in there, and for those I used Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and Purple Foamed Wool Pads. Got them right out. Like I said the entire car was in this condition, which is why it took me sooo long to finish the paint correction.

After about 9 hours of polishing out the swirls/scratches/stains, I used Menzerna Nano Polish for my finishing polish with white pads.

Some pics after the Nano Polish:

After the final polish, I used Migliore Original because I LOVE the deep wet look it leaves on dark colors. Here are a few pics of the final results:

LOVE the blue flakes in Acura's Nighthawk Black Pearl

"After" shot of the same fender pictured in the "before" stage above with swirls/scratches

Mmmmmmm reflection shots

Like I said I didn't take too many pics. Did the usual interior detail as well, but no one really cares about those pics so I didnt bother taking them lol. If anyone is interested in the products i used just ask. He was pretty amazed at the results and I was glad he was. Afterall, 14 hours over a Holiday weekend (that included a New Years drunkfest, a wedding on Saturday, and a Birthday dinner 4:00 PM on Sunday) is no piece of cake and I doubt anyone else would've wanted to do it But I had a blast doing it and was glad to see him jazzed up about it.

Big thanks to Detailed Image and Migliore Wax for their continued support and deals they give the community. Highly recommend all of their products to everyone

Thanks for looking
Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Great job. I bet your bro really appreciated it.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
That is a ridiculous amount to be cleaning a car... But, it's well worth the effort considering the result
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Great job. I bet your bro really appreciated it.
Thank you sir. Yea he was speechless haha

Originally Posted by soolman32
That is a ridiculous amount to be cleaning a car... But, it's well worth the effort considering the result
Thanks Yup, took a long time. Condition was horrible.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Nick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha wanna come to atlanta and detail my black G

PLEEEEAASEE!!

plus ill only let you clean 13 hours on mine instead of 14 haha.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks great. Ive got to get mine done. Inoticed mine was all swirled after I bought it. I took it back to the dealer and they sent it out to the body shop they use and they charged them $330 to do the whole car. That was like 6 months ago and now Im starting to see alot of the swirls coming back. Im thinking about just getting it done myself .
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome job man, I am sure your bro was extremely pleased with your work.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soolman32
14 hours is actually very average for doing a full detail on a vehicle in that condition. My longest job was 26 hours spanned over three days on a Cadillac Escalade.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Triple_X

damn man nice work. Your bro must be pumped. He owes you big time haha.

couldn't help but notice in one pic the piece parked across the street tho

jk
Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Always amazed at how bad some of these dark color cars get and how relatively quickly they can look showroom new again. He owes you big time. Nicely done!!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Originally Posted by Nick
haha wanna come to atlanta and detail my black G

PLEEEEAASEE!!

plus ill only let you clean 13 hours on mine instead of 14 haha.
Haha sure if you wanna fly me over there lol. PM Blackjack I know he does some detailing on the side in ATL and he does great work

Originally Posted by Buckeye G
Looks great. Ive got to get mine done. Inoticed mine was all swirled after I bought it. I took it back to the dealer and they sent it out to the body shop they use and they charged them $330 to do the whole car. That was like 6 months ago and now Im starting to see alot of the swirls coming back. Im thinking about just getting it done myself .
Thanks. Yeah you want to give it a good detail about every 6 months or so. Usually people out on the east coast wait until spring comes to remove all of the nasty-ness that comes with winter.

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Awesome job man, I am sure your bro was extremely pleased with your work.
Thanks GC

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
14 hours is actually very average for doing a full detail on a vehicle in that condition. My longest job was 26 hours spanned over three days on a Cadillac Escalade.
Geez 26 hours? My record is 19 on a lifted Suburban Those big SUV's can be a pain.

Originally Posted by Triple_X
damn man nice work. Your bro must be pumped. He owes you big time haha.

couldn't help but notice in one pic the piece parked across the street tho

jk
Thanks! Yeah my car is in pretty bad shape right now from all the rain we we had been getting lately

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Always amazed at how bad some of these dark color cars get and how relatively quickly they can look showroom new again. He owes you big time. Nicely done!!
Thanks CHI!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG there's hope!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Haha there definitely is bro. Just need a few hours of elbow grease and good as new
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
BOXER83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work and I need you to do mine. Do you travel. I need you to come to Houston. LOL Nah a have BB here about 30 mins. away
Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Haha thanks. Yeah BB is the go-to guy in Houston

Quick Reply: My 14 Hour Detail on My Brother's Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL =/