Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New G37 - Best products to wash with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 AM
darkhawkkg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G37 - Best products to wash with?

I thought I would go straight to the exprts for some tips. I just got the sedan last weekend so of course the blue slate is already dirty. I will have a newborn (why I got the sedan ) in about a month so I am not planning to be able to spend a whole day on the weekend detailing.

My plan is to get a full detail every 6-8 months here in Houston but would love some recommendatios on products I should use in the meantime. What washes and waxes are best for the self healing paint? I thought I would leave the polish for the experts.

Thanks in advance for the tips. I searched the existing threads but didn't come up with a similar question.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
When you do need detailing in Houston, hit me up.

On my G I use these for washing:
CG Wash and Gloss This is my regular go to shampoo
CG Maxi Suds I like this one too and use it as well
Optimum ONR I use this when I'm lazy and want a good shine but don't want to polish and wax

I have a ton of waxes. These are some of my favorites that I've used on my G.
CG Pete's '53
Blackfire Midnight Sun
Natty's Blue - don't let the cheaper price fool you - it's good
Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 PM
darkhawkkg

Thanks for the links. Any tips on materials and brands for washing mitts, drying towels, etc.?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by darkhawkkg
Thanks for the links. Any tips on materials and brands for washing mitts, drying towels, etc.?
Lots of pros like sheepskin mitts but I personally don't. They cost too much and they don't last very long (at least not for me). I only use Microfiber on the finish because it's very soft and susceptible to fine scratches and swirling when you wash and dry it if you're not careful. Plus MF towels last a very long time if you take care of them properly.

I use this for washing, this for drying, and these for polishing/buffing. You can find the chenille MF wash mitts locally at Costco and at some auto parts stores. Costco also has some small MF towels dirt cheap (like 36 for $9.99 for so) that I use for interiors, glass, etc, but not on the paint because they aren't as plush as I like. They are more like these but a lot cheaper.

Spend plenty of time reading the info from pros at Detailed Image's blog and make sure you understand car care before you start. It's one of the resources that has helped me a lot. And George at Detailed Image is a site sponsor and is very helpful in answering ay question you might have.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:18 PM
worldcrafter

+1 to ONR, I also use CG hose free wash (similar to ONR).
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
drahc

Good stuff... what about interior? Is an armorall type product ok? They have a leather wipe product I was looking at....
Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Armor All will dry out your leather an vinyl. It also stains the hell out of concrete ( I didn't know this when I used to use it). I have stains on my driveway and sidewalk that are 8 years old from Armor All.

I like 303 because it's not expensive and not too slick and shiny.

I also use Lexol cleaner and conditioner which work well and are cheaper. You can find them locally at a lot of places.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
So how many MF Waffle towels do you guys typically use per wash for drying your car? I guess 2-3?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i use 2 MF waffle weave towels from detailedimage for drying my coupe
Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
i use 2 MF waffle weave towels from detailedimage for drying my coupe
thanks I will probably order 3 just to be safe.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I invested in a really cheap leaf blower ($30 or $40) that I use it to blow off all the excess water and get it out of those impossible to get places like body panel cracks, mirror housings, crevices of wheels etc. After blowing off most of the water, I only ever need one waffle weave MF to finish the drying. It's great for engine detailing too to blow off all the water immediately after you rinse it off.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:29 PM
drahc

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Armor All will dry out your leather an vinyl. It also stains the hell out of concrete ( I didn't know this when I used to use it). I have stains on my driveway and sidewalk that are 8 years old from Armor All.

I like 303 because it's not expensive and not too slick and shiny.

I also use Lexol cleaner and conditioner which work well and are cheaper. You can find them locally at a lot of places.
So the armor all leather wipes are a no go? Not regular armorall.....
Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 PM
worldcrafter

look into getting Zaino or Adam's brand leather products, I use Zaino Z9 to clean my seats, and use Adam's leather conditioner afterwards. I read that Z10 can actually dry out leather, that's why I went with Adam's instead. Has a very nice finish on my black leather seats, not greasy at all and it has a slightly leathery scent as well, like Z10 (smelled some at a local detailing supply shop)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
darkhawkkg

I think I will get the ONR starter kit DI Packages Complete Hose Free Wash Package with ONR | Detailed Image and a pack of extra MF towels from Costco.

Thanks for all the recommendations and I'm hoping I can keep it clean and swirl/scratch free until I need to call in Black Betty's expertise on the Blue Slate.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Raizon

Originally Posted by darkhawkkg
I think I will get the ONR starter kit DI Packages Complete Hose Free Wash Package with ONR | Detailed Image and a pack of extra MF towels from Costco.

Thanks for all the recommendations and I'm hoping I can keep it clean and swirl/scratch free until I need to call in Black Betty's expertise on the Blue Slate.
I would recommend picking up an extra wash shampoo like CG or Poorboy's. I only use ONR when the car is a little dirty and use a full car shampoo wash for when the car is really dirty.

Quick Reply: New G37 - Best products to wash with?