Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New G37 - Best products to wash with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Raizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for jumping a bit off topic but doesn't anyone know a good method to rejuvenate the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels? After like 4-6 uses, I feel like the towel doesn't absorb water that good anymore. I always wash with Chemical Guys Microfiber Cleaning Detergent after 2 uses but the absorbing power weakens more and more after each use. After about 6 uses, it absorbs very little. I hate having to keep spending $18 for drying towels after like 6 uses.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 PM
jleddo

Hold on, BB. Where are you getting your info on Armor All? I've been using Armor All since 1974 (when I drove a Corvette in college) and have never been aware of it drying anything out. I use it on leather, vinyl, rubber, whatever. Could probably even use for skin conditioner!
Seriously. Have you personally experienced it drying your leather out?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do u guys ever bring your car to the car wash? or always manually wash it
Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
do u guys ever bring your car to the car wash? or always manually wash it
That's blasphemy!!!

On a serious note, if you want to keep your paint surface in the best possible condition, definitely do not take it to car washes......whether they are touchless or not. Washing your car with the proper tools and washing techniques is something I can't recommend enough.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will car washes touch them up a little bit over time? also why kinds of tints do u have on your car?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Raizon
Sorry for jumping a bit off topic but doesn't anyone know a good method to rejuvenate the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels? After like 4-6 uses, I feel like the towel doesn't absorb water that good anymore. I always wash with Chemical Guys Microfiber Cleaning Detergent after 2 uses but the absorbing power weakens more and more after each use. After about 6 uses, it absorbs very little. I hate having to keep spending $18 for drying towels after like 6 uses.
You can try putting the MF in boiling water to help reopen all of the fibers pores which should also increase absorbency. Try using less detergent next time around, you should only need a little bit.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
jleddo

You must be selling the other stuff, 'cause I've used Armor All since 1974 when I drove a Corvette, and it ain't nuthin' but good ... to me.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM
darkhawkkg

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Lots of pros like sheepskin mitts but I personally don't. They cost too much and they don't last very long (at least not for me). I only use Microfiber on the finish because it's very soft and susceptible to fine scratches and swirling when you wash and dry it if you're not careful. Plus MF towels last a very long time if you take care of them properly.

I use this for washing, this for drying, and these for polishing/buffing. You can find the chenille MF wash mitts locally at Costco and at some auto parts stores. Costco also has some small MF towels dirt cheap (like 36 for $9.99 for so) that I use for interiors, glass, etc, but not on the paint because they aren't as plush as I like. They are more like these but a lot cheaper.

Spend plenty of time reading the info from pros at Detailed Image's blog and make sure you understand car care before you start. It's one of the resources that has helped me a lot. And George at Detailed Image is a site sponsor and is very helpful in answering ay question you might have.

So is there a big downside to using the Costco MF towels with ONR? I gave it a try and didn't see any negative results, but I'm still an amateur.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 AM
worldcrafter

i recently picked up a sheepskin mitt from the local adam's supply shop and it is fantastic. it rubs dirt and other spots off alot better, and cleans up pretty easily. it also can hold alot of shampoo wash in it after dipping in my wash bucket. it is not like the crappy sheepskin mitts at walmart, which tends to bald itself of the sheepskin fibers after a few washes like it's got cancer. I only bought it cuz my mf wash towels were getting pretty old, and really rough to the touch (most of the fibers were probably gone after so many washes).

i saw someone mention a leaf blower. if i had one, i would not use it to dry the car. i'd use it to to blow water out of crevices (eg between the rear taillights and rear bumper, grille, etc. as for using a waffle weave towel for drying, i first use one of those "the absorber" type towels to soak up most of the water on the paint surface, then pick up the small water spots that are left behind with the waffle weave. that's what works best for me.

whether the car is really dirty or not, i always use ONR because it neutralizes the car wash soap so that it doesn't leaves spots when it dries if I wash the car in the sun, or makes spots easy to clean off with a detail spray. i rarely wash the car out in the sun (i hate water spots with a passion)
Old 01-24-2010, 01:13 AM
worldcrafter

Originally Posted by darkhawkkg
So is there a big downside to using the Costco MF towels with ONR? I gave it a try and didn't see any negative results, but I'm still an amateur.
the costco mf towels are great, there shouldn't be a problem with scratching from the towels, it's usually the dirt/particles on the paint surface that are the cause of scratches when you rub them off while washing
Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by worldcrafter
the costco mf towels are great, there shouldn't be a problem with scratching from the towels, it's usually the dirt/particles on the paint surface that are the cause of scratches when you rub them off while washing
ditto!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:23 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jleddo
Hold on, BB. Where are you getting your info on Armor All? I've been using Armor All since 1974 (when I drove a Corvette in college) and have never been aware of it drying anything out. I use it on leather, vinyl, rubber, whatever. Could probably even use for skin conditioner!
Seriously. Have you personally experienced it drying your leather out?
Originally Posted by jleddo
You must be selling the other stuff, 'cause I've used Armor All since 1974 when I drove a Corvette, and it ain't nuthin' but good ... to me.
If it is working for you personally, fantastic. Armor all contains Silicone and will dry out rubber, harm exterior paint, and stain concrete. But if you love it don't let me stop you from using it. Millions of folks love it.

I don't sell any detailing products, just trying to help him because he asked.