Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:10 AM
MyGcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra... thoughts?

I keep seeing more and more posts about clear bras and my buddy has a full body clear bra over his IS-F and is trying to get me to do it. I was against it at first but im starting to concider it more and more. (expecially with how soft our paint is and with a 08 BO) What do you guys think about clear bra'ing the whole car... couple questions I have.

1. How much should doing the whole car cost when getting it done in So Cal.
2. Which one would you recomend? (I hear about 3M a lot)
3. Does this mean the only exterior clearning that needs to be done is some soap and water? (no more polishing, waxing...?)
4. Would this effect the shine and appearance of a black car, if so how dramatic of a difference do you think.
5. If it ever needed to be removed, are there any permanent effects.

...anything else i should concider getting it done?

thanks for the Advice.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 AM
gyukang2

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have never heard about "FULL body clear bra".

Does anyone know how much it would cost?

Any good "clear-bra shop" in chicago area!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Mike P

Just talked with a local guy here in Indy. His shop can do custom cuts, he just bought a plotter. He was showing me the difference on a black car and it will dull the shine. I looked at his black Toyota truck. You could tell, but it was very slight. He said to do the front, quarters (about 2/3rds), the hood (about 1/3rd), A pillars, and roof was around a grand. If you want the entire car, I would estimate around $2,500 to $3,000. This very similar to vehicle wraps that we see for advertising on vehicles, busses and vans. It can be removed, but it also can damage the finish when it is removed. If this finish is as frangile as "they" say and you are doing this to preserve it, then removing it, to me, is not really a question unless it gets really yellow or sratched. I think removing this will damage the finish of this car, IMO.

Last edited by Mike P; 10-26-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
full body wrap? never. clear bra is mainly to prevent rock chips and when is the last time you got a rock chip on your trunk or your roof. front bumper, side mirrors and half the hood is as far as I would ever go. If it really does dull the shine, I would advise against it too; especially if you can notice the contrast
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
wow .... $2,500 - 3,000 you can get the car repainted after a few years of rock chips for that kinda money.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:08 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Some super exotics get full wraps, but the G is no Lamborghini. The full wrap would be a complete waste of money for this car.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by MyGcoupe
I keep seeing more and more posts about clear bras and my buddy has a full body clear bra over his IS-F and is trying to get me to do it. I was against it at first but im starting to concider it more and more. (expecially with how soft our paint is and with a 08 BO) What do you guys think about clear bra'ing the whole car... couple questions I have.

1. How much should doing the whole car cost when getting it done in So Cal.
2. Which one would you recomend? (I hear about 3M a lot)
3. Does this mean the only exterior clearning that needs to be done is some soap and water? (no more polishing, waxing...?)
4. Would this effect the shine and appearance of a black car, if so how dramatic of a difference do you think.
5. If it ever needed to be removed, are there any permanent effects.

...anything else i should concider getting it done?

thanks for the Advice.
I have done one full car install in 6+ years of installing. Honestly it would be a big waste of money for you to do this. Get the front end done along with the rockers and mirrors and you will be fine. You would be looking at around $3500 for the G... and Premier is the only installer in SoCal I would trust to do it. Full wraps are really only done on exotics... or for peole who have way to much money. If you fall into that category then go for it.

On a black car I would not use 3M. VentureShield is a much better film. 3M has a lot of orange peel in it and it will be very noticable on black. The film, if installed properly, will look as good as he cars finish and can be maintained just as you do your paint. A good sealant will really help the film last and will give it a good shine.

Someone posted above that film will damage the paint once removed. That is false. Why would people be using this stuff if it damages the paint??? And how would installation shops stay open??? Go with the film... you will be very happy you did. And your paint will look brand new underneath if you ever have to remove it for any reason.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
kevmi2ca

Damn, wish I read this before getting 3M on my black G. The peel is very noticeable...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
jdmalltheway

I wouldn't do the whole car. Did it for the front end and very happy with the results. Since you're in Cali, give premier a ring. My sister just had her car clearshielded + tinted and very happy. They just opened shop in Anaheim. Give em a ring Premier Protective Films International (aka Premier Mobile) clear bra, paint protection film, tint, auto tint, safety film, chip paint, kits, custom, car
Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
another tip. rock picks like the rear wheel flares. the cutout for an 08 FX fender flare works 100% back there
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought about getting one at first, but decided not to. I'd rather just repaint if it got really bad. I kept thinking to myself what if I buy the clear bra and later I end up getting into a small accident or fender bender, then I have to get a clear bra again..?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I thought about getting one at first, but decided not to. I'd rather just repaint if it got really bad. I kept thinking to myself what if I buy the clear bra and later I end up getting into a small accident or fender bender, then I have to get a clear bra again..?
Well yes you would. but it is covered under your insurance policy. I do insurance jobs all of the time and have yet seen an inusrance company decline a clear bra re install. Unfortunately rock chips arent covered... and with today's soft paints you will get a lot of chips.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Mike P

Originally Posted by kevmi2ca
Damn, wish I read this before getting 3M on my black G. The peel is very noticeable...
I was told if you clean it with alcohol, it will shine better. I was also told that the 3M poduct is being touted as the better product over VentureShield. I was told the 3M product is thicker, has a better warranty, and I was told Ven tureShield will turn grey on Black cars. I have been really debating getting this product, but I am concerned about the dull finish. For the moonlight white coupe no problem, but my black sedan?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Well yes you would. but it is covered under your insurance policy. I do insurance jobs all of the time and have yet seen an inusrance company decline a clear bra re install. Unfortunately rock chips arent covered... and with today's soft paints you will get a lot of chips.
Oh cool, I did not know that. Why didn't anyone tell me this before?!!?!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Switch

I had the front half done +mirrors on my 05' G35. It worked great for the first year. Deferred about 95% of the damage from rocks, (a couple of rocks did penetrate the shield), but the shield took so much damage, and looked so bad, I ended up removing it after about 18 months. I decided not to get a second shield . . . . I did not want to pay another $600. to have it done again.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra... thoughts?