Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

09ner scratch shield to polish or not to polish.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:36 PM
gonpostal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09ner scratch shield to polish or not to polish.

I found this, and I guess its suppose to be safe on scratch shield paint from nissan and mercedes. I would love to polish my BO. Tell me your thoughts about this article.

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish, Menzerna PO 83 , Mernzerna PO85RD 3.02
Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 PM
SpawnAero
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't buy into their mumbo jumbo. Any 3M rubbing compound (light rubbing compound) will remove 1200 - 2000 grit sand marks off of any kind of clear. Scratch resistant only goes so far. The power of the buffer will not only cut well with a good grade rubbing compound but the heat it generates will help soften the paint making it easy to cut into it well.

Then you have to use a polish afterward with a polish pad to remove the buff marks and to fully restore the shine.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Careful with a porter cable on the scratch shield paint.... Its easy to burn the scratch shield clear coat
Old 10-19-2009, 01:23 AM
openhorizons30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished detailing my 09 BO today. It took about 12 hours. First cleaned interior, washed exterior followed by clay barring, taped trim, and then I used my Porter Cable with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish, orange cutting pad, followed by Blackfire's Wet Diamond All Paint Protectant. The scratch shield paint is pretty soft and delicate, it's easy to scratch if you don't use the right rags (micro fiber). It's safe to polish your 09, mine turned out great just a pain to maintain black. The Wet Diamond made by Blackfire is pretty awesome. It makes your paint look wet. Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:51 PM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
Careful with a porter cable on the scratch shield paint.... Its easy to burn the scratch shield clear coat
Actually is not that easy with the porter cable, since is a dual action polisher, now if it was a rotary polisher it will actually make the task of burning the paint easier. Anyway when I decided to get my G detailed I was lucky enough that the detailer allowed me to help, we used the 3M Perfect-it III Fast Cut Plus cause the Menzerna power polish was barely doing any correction, it took us about 2 days to correct the exterior. The detailer couldn't believe how much the paint had changed from 08 to 09 since he has done other G's from previous years and most of them had a sticky clear coat; On My 2009 G37x Sedan, the clear coat was extremely hard almost like ceramic paint, is a hard clear to correct, but extremely easy to scratch. We did use Menzerna 85rd as a finishing step, and I was actually amazed of the gloss it delivered. I did try the menzerna product line on a different vehicle and it preformed extremely well, the one big plus about the menzerna products is that you don't get as much dust as with the 3M products.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Herostar
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, is it ok to use a power buffer on the scratch shield paint? I got a couple scratches on my rear bumper that are clear coat only but too deep to self-heal.

Is there a thread with special directions for power buffing our fancy paint?