Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Underside of Car in the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 PM
jeffyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underside of Car in the Winter

Hey,

I was wondering if any of you guys actually wax / put sealant or anything else on the underside of your car to help mitigate salt damage. Would this be something worth doing, and if so do you hCve any recommendations? My G will be my only car, and while the part of colorado I live in doesn't have tons of snow on the roads / tons of salt, I would like to keep my baby in as good of shape as possible.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:27 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I live in Colorado as well and can't recommend putting any kind of sealant or wax under your G. Remember that Infiniti already has taken significant steps to rustproof the FM chassis and body. Plus the G's suspension is primarily aluminum and won't be affected. The best you can do is clean your G after a big storm, like we just had in Denver. Wash out the gunk that gets stuck in the fenderwells.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with ^^. If you are really interested there is a 2002 CDOT study of both salt and magnesium chloride on automobiles available here. http://www.dot.state.co.us/Publicati...MagAutoCor.pdf. Bottom line is that car manufacturers have gotten good at protecting your investment against the effects of both of these melting agents. Having said that, everything eventually corrodes and a trip to a car wash where you can use a hand spayer to rinse underneath your car in the winter is not a bad idea. Mag chloride (according to the study) is especially prone to clinging to surfaces and long term contact with any untreated surface will eventually result in at least some damage. In any event waxing would not help as the salts would remove the wax.