Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Black is hard to maintain!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 AM
aseo89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black is hard to maintain!

I have a Black Obs 08' G37s. As i was washing my car, i noticed that there are scratches everywhere. Some of the scratches are really noticeable and stick out. It really irritates me! What should I do? Take it to a body shop?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
scratches or swirl marks? if they are light, you can polish them off. mine is black too and its a real pain to keep it clean.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Search the detail section. What you need is to have the car polished. There are some amazing pictures in the detailing section.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Mike P

There are scratches in all colors, it is that black shows it. I have an OB and MW G. MW shows very few of these items, but OB does. Another issue is how fragile the Infiniti paint is. A good detail with a clay bar and buffer should remove those, but be carefule with the buffer. Search the forum for detailing tips.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OB is definitely the hardest color to maintain hands down. But it's also the best looking color for the G by FAR, IMHO. It's worth the effort and time you get to spend working on the car to get it looking nice

Check the detailing section, there's a ton of threads about how to get your G all pretty'd up
Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
This is from when we detailed Her car; https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...-pictures.html
Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a great place to start your research.

Detailing Article
Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Bkdetailing

Originally Posted by aseo89
I have a Black Obs 08' G37s. As i was washing my car, i noticed that there are scratches everywhere. Some of the scratches are really noticeable and stick out. It really irritates me! What should I do? Take it to a body shop?

Depending on how deep the scratches are determines how aggressive you correct the paint. Most swirls and light scratches should come out with one or two passes with a porter cable and a white polishing pad using something like PoorBoys Professional Polish or Pinnancle brand polishes.. Once you get the paint to where you want it to be just maintain (glaze,sealants,waxs). Dont take the car to the carwash, or if you have in your area bring it to a machine wash where nothing physically touches the car.. Just high pressure water and soap.

Being an owner of a OB coupe myself its been a battle to maintain being that it is a daily driver and the nissan paint is soft as **** and scratches real easy..
Old 10-02-2009, 05:52 PM
ElLayG37s

welcome to owning a black car, also Infiniti did a horrible job with the paint, thats my biggest gripe about the car that I have, besides the lag. My front bumber I think has more touch up paint than original paint! LOL! J/K.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I just spend an hour in the prep department using a porter cable to compound the damn black coupe
Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
The best advice I can give is to learn how to properly wash and dry your vehicle. This is where a majority of imperfections stem from. Avoid using automatic car washes and dealership washes. Here's a good starting point on how to minimize adding imperfections in the future: Washing & Drying Guide

For actually removing the imperfections, you have 2 options, take it to a qualified professional or do it yourself. Both will run roughly the same ballpark in price to have it done properly, but doing it yourself will result in you having the tools and products to remove swirls and scratches in the future many times. To get a better idea on what is needed, read over this Polishing Guide

I'd also recommend reading the link HamstersG pointed you toward, lots of good info there.

Originally Posted by HamstersG
Here is a great place to start your research.

Detailing Article
If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:35 PM
beast808

why me too i wanna get a white G now
Old 10-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
just washed my new professionally detailed OB g37 and noticed i got some swirl marks on it even after using a wool wash mitt, 2 bucket method and microfiber towels. the infiniti paint is really really soft, can i apply few coats of clearcoat over it to protect it more?
will any paint/bodyshop do it?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

That's why mine is Platinum Graphite.....I don't have to worry about the world of swirl
Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Owned couple black cars before and never again. Fine scratche and swirls seem to come out of no where. Best advice I can give is to ensure the wash mitt is very clean and to use quality towels. use plenty of water to when rinsing to make sure all the dirt is off before drying

Quick Reply: Help Black is hard to maintain!