Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Too much wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 PM
All_G
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much wax?

Is it possible to wax too much?

We have been trying some different waxes this summer… and just want to make sure we are not waxing too often.

First we used some ‘Pink Wax’ by Liquid Luster…. But it seemed after a month or so, water didn’t bead off like it did when first applied. This wax had been sitting in our hot/cold garage for several years… so we think that may have affected it's quality

Second we tried Meguiar’s NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste wax and we have been very happy with the results.

However, several people have suggested the Turtle Wax Ice clear liquid wax. They say it’s easy to use and doesn’t leave a white residue.

So, how long should we wait before trying the new wax? We waxed with the NXT in mid July.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is possible to add to much wax, but not possible to add too many coats. You should add several very thin coats. Thick coats cannot properly harden and will just wipe off.

The ICE is not a very good wax, actually it kinda sucks. It will look ok, but not last at all.

I am currently in love with the Dodo Juice Supernatural. Most people say you need to let it haze for atleast 10 minutes(Zaino says their wax needs to sit for minimum of 15 minutes). When I wax, I usually wax the entire car, let it sit for about 30 minutes, then buff off. (Usually 3 coats)

There was a guy that used the Zaino Z-2 with accelerator(AMAZING wax as well) that did 50 coats. He said that after 7-8 coats, it stopped making a difference in the depth/shine.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Found the pic
Old 09-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
50 coats of any wax is just wasting wax.

You won't harm your car by waxing it often, but you are throwing away money. Several coats (3 or 4) can add great depth and glossiness, but carnauba wax is not a great product if your main goal is durability. If you want it to look amazingly deep and wet and be protected for 4 to 8 weeks, layer a few coats of a good quality wax (not any of those you listed). If you want amazing durability with a shinier less deep looking finish that will last 3 to 6 months, use a quality sealant.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

I usually apply sealant first. I really like the Menzerna Full Metal Jacket (FMJ). Then usually 2 coats of one of the waxes I listed earlier.

I very much agree 50 is pointless, just showing that it does not harm the OP's car at all. I wasnt sure if he was asking about too much or too often. Neither is bad for your car.

If you really want a wax that will last, I suggest Meguiars #56, it is a boat wax. I use to do it often with my G35, it will easily last 4-6 months (depending on weather). It is made to withstand waves of harsh salt water, so a little rain is nothing. It will not give you anywhere near the shine or gloss of the other waxes I listed, but is great for protection.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

PS
One of my G35 buddiees uses the SeaJet Hardwax. I havent tried it myself but the product claims to last 8 months plus. He agrees. He doesnt have near the shine that I do, but then again. He only waxes his car 1-2 times a year, I do mine monthly.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM
All_G
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info
Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
50 coats of any wax is just wasting wax.

You won't harm your car by waxing it often, but you are throwing away money. Several coats (3 or 4) can add great depth and glossiness, but carnauba wax is not a great product if your main goal is durability. If you want it to look amazingly deep and wet and be protected for 4 to 8 weeks, layer a few coats of a good quality wax (not any of those you listed). If you want amazing durability with a shinier less deep looking finish that will last 3 to 6 months, use a quality sealant.
I trust Jeremy on this. He did an amazing job on my G.