Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Bird poop with scratches with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Nocturnal
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bird poop with scratches with pictures

So I had some bird poop on my car and I have no idea how to remove it. I just used my t-shirt and wiped the crap off. This lead to scratches on this particular part of the car.

It's on the black part of the picture. It's towards the bottom of the black panel.

It's hard to see it in this picture but basically it's all plastic. I took it to professional detailer and he said that since it's plastic, it's kind of hard to get the scratches out although he could definitely give it a shot.

How would I go about fixing this otherwise? Would I have to replace the entire part? Or would the entire door have to be replaced?

Here is the picture:

Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Plastic like that can be polished... Your detailer is right that it's not like paint where you have a clear coat, but it can be polished. I'd give that a shot, otherwise, you can replace that black piece.

Or... I think they make CF Overlays.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Nocturnal
Registered Member

Thanks Blackjack! Sorry for so many threads. I am learning. Really appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
So I had some bird poop on my car and I have no idea how to remove it. I just used my t-shirt and wiped the crap off. This lead to scratches on this particular part of the car.

It's on the black part of the picture. It's towards the bottom of the black panel.

It's hard to see it in this picture but basically it's all plastic. I took it to professional detailer and he said that since it's plastic, it's kind of hard to get the scratches out although he could definitely give it a shot.

How would I go about fixing this otherwise? Would I have to replace the entire part? Or would the entire door have to be replaced?

Birds don't have molars so they typically ingest "grit" which ends up in their crop (stomach) to help digest food. Probably explains the scratches, unfortunately. Sucks, man.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:10 AM
nikku

blackjack is right. You can polish out plastic. I've done ton of plastic polishing. You just need you use lower rpms and less aggresive pads. It doesn't take much to polish however again like all scratches there is a limit as to how much clear or paint you can take off. So if it's really deep you'll take the corners off the scratch and it's less visible but if it's still reasonably within the clear you can take out the scratch without worrying about clear coat failure.

Cheers,
Nick