Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

I am about to Give up!! "RIDS"/Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 AM
JGabucci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am about to Give up!! "RIDS"/Swirls

Wow,

I currently own a 08 OB G37 Coupe.. For the past 6 - 8 months I have attempted to get the finish/Clear Coat of this car to look as close to flawless as possible. Being that it is a Dark colored car and a daily driver I realize that this may not be entirely feasible however I still want to remove some of the deep scratches and swirls on my finish.

I have 7424 Porter cable, white polishing pads, Orange pads, and yellow cutting pads.

For the most part I have used the White Polishing pads in combination with Poorboys SSR Pro Polish and Poorboys SSR 2.5, and recently Meguiars Ultimate Compound at speeds no higher then 5 on PC. When I am finish up the paint looks wet and has a nice depth to it... Here is the problem... Under direct Sunlight these Deep Scratches and swirls are still visible! I am scared at this point that I have polished the car so many times I am removing too much clearcoat and I am going to find myself in a Jam. I did borrow a paint meter from a friend and my car measures consistently from one side to next anywhere from as high as 4.5 to as low as 2.5(front hood).. Most readings come in at 3.5 Microns...

Is my pad/polish combo not aggressive enough? I am thinking of doing PoorBoys SSR 2.5 and Orange or yellow cutting pad, followed by Poorboys Pro Polish and a white polishing pad.. Any help or input is appreciated..

Last edited by JGabucci; 07-27-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Included Porter Speed.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pairing the SSR2.5 with an orange pad should get rid of the deeper scratches. If the orange isn't enough, then move onto the yellow. Marring will most likely occur afterwards, so the Pro Polish will need to be paired with a white pad to get rid of them.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Your thread title says RIDS/swirls, but your post says you have deep scratches. If its just swirls, you should be able to get these out by using a stronger polish and pad combo followed by a finishing polish. (orange/cutting polish then white/finishing polish). If you have deeper scratches, not only will you need something more aggressive (both product and pad) but you may need stronger correction, i.e. circular polisher in the hands of a pro.

Work super slowly and have lots of patience to get them out, it takes time.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 AM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Your thread title says RIDS/swirls, but your post says you have deep scratches. If its just swirls, you should be able to get these out by using a stronger polish and pad combo followed by a finishing polish. (orange/cutting polish then white/finishing polish). If you have deeper scratches, not only will you need something more aggressive (both product and pad) but you may need stronger correction, i.e. circular polisher in the hands of a pro.

Work super slowly and have lots of patience to get them out, it takes time.
RIDS = Random Isolated Deep Scratches as per meguiars online forum.. Sorry for confusion.. I have a combo of both.

Gonna try a Orange Pads and SSR 2.5 and work my way down from that. Porter cable takes forever to cut.. Gonna attempt at a faster speed of 6 as well. Just scared that I am taking off to much clear coat..
Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Dan1

Its just a PC, use speed 6.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Speed 6 on the PC is nothing to fear. It doesn't have enough cut to take off enough clear coat to be concerned with, that's why your swirls and scratches are still there.

If the orange/cutting polish doesn't get them all out, you may need to use a yellow pad and a heavy compound on the worst ones, but not the entire car. If you do use yellow/compound, you'll most definitely need to follow it up with a finishing polish on BO.

Good luck.