Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:00 PM
G37MA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra

How do people generally feel about having this put on?

I know it can't hurt and it does keep a lot of the chipping down but I recently had a scratch on the hood of my old S that went from middle of the hood down to the grill. My clear bra was only 6 inches up so it was both on the hood and the bra but the bra looked terrible with that scratch. It looked just as bad as having it on the metal and probably would have costed more to repair. Just a thought
Old 07-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Keng

Totally worth it, I had a chip up the middle of the hood, now I wish I have gone full hood instead of half
Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 PM
kevmi2ca

I got one. Not so much for the hood, but the front bumper really takes a beating over the years. I had to get my front-end resprayed on my last g.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 AM
gbest03

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Venture Shield bra on mine, it goes up 17" on the hood.
It's the best one I've had so far, very glossy and clear.
Much better that the Autobahnd Roadblock that most of the MA dealers use.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
totally worth it. If I didn't I have mine I know my front would look totally fvcked up. The highways in Houston are very unforgiving.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the first car that I've ever had one put on (Ventureshield) and I'm glad I did it. My last car looked and felt like it was sandblasted after 4 years. I can hardly tell it's there.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 AM
G37MA

I know the positives but I'm saying if you cut a scratch in your clear bra it looks just as bad as having it on the paint and I think repair wise it is about the same cost. I'm comparing more on a cost basis. 300 to repaint vs 300 to put a piece of plastic back on.

Thumbs up for ventureshield though, I had it on the S
Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by G37MA
I know the positives but I'm saying if you cut a scratch in your clear bra it looks just as bad as having it on the paint and I think repair wise it is about the same cost. I'm comparing more on a cost basis. 300 to repaint vs 300 to put a piece of plastic back on.

Thumbs up for ventureshield though, I had it on the S
As you know, the clear bra is only intended to withstand small debris and pebbles. It will obviously get a gash if hit by anything bigger.

If you think about it, that gash on the clear bra would probably be much bigger on the bare paint.

Can you really get a quality paint job with accurate color match and clearcoat for $300?

I suppose the worst case is you have to fix the gash in BOTH the clear bra AND the paint.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 PM
G37MA

That was my point exactly, you end up paying for both or just the clear bra which is the same price. Just from my point of view I don't care if the scratch is on the bra or the paint - it looks the same. I would still get it fixed even if it was only on the bra. I don't do highway driving to much but I'm sure it is great for chips, I will agree with that.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by G37MA
That was my point exactly, you end up paying for both or just the clear bra which is the same price. Just from my point of view I don't care if the scratch is on the bra or the paint - it looks the same. I would still get it fixed even if it was only on the bra. I don't do highway driving to much but I'm sure it is great for chips, I will agree with that.
From your posts it sounds like you have already made your mind up. To think it costs just as much or more to replace your clear bra than to repaint is ridiculous. Replacing a single piece of the material should be inexpensive... unless you are allowing someone to rip you off. Having a car repainted will not only cost more money but it will be tough to match the paint, resale cost will dive since it has been painted, and you will be without the car for days instead of a few minutes to replace a piece of film. Film is not indestructable but it will take a lot of damage and keep it from kaing it to the paint. If it gets tore up replace that piece. Its as simple as peel it off and lay another one on.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:01 AM
SandManG37

Where to get ClearBra/VentureShield in MA?

Can anyone recommend where to get an installation in MA (or nearby in RI or NH)?

What is reasonable cost to expect for installation on front bumper, partial hood and mirrors?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SandManG37
Can anyone recommend where to get an installation in MA (or nearby in RI or NH)?

What is reasonable cost to expect for installation on front bumper, partial hood and mirrors?
I had mine done by Protective Solutions who can do it in the MA/NH area and likely south. Their standard price was about $590 for the bumper/hood/mirrors and $695 with the headlights and small piece for rear bumper. They did a very good job on my car.

You can see their available installers from their website: http://members.invisiblepatterns.com/dealers.php

Or call Chris at 617-939-3332.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
SandManG37

Thanks

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
I had mine done by Protective Solutions who can do it in the MA/NH area and likely south. Their standard price was about $590 for the bumper/hood/mirrors and $695 with the headlights and small piece for rear bumper. They did a very good job on my car.

You can see their available installers from their website: http://members.invisiblepatterns.com/dealers.php

Or call Chris at 617-939-3332.
Thanks, SkyMG37x. I had seen some positive testimonials for Protection Plus in Shrewsbury in other forums so I appreciate your response with this other reference for Protective Solutions. Prices are all over the place in other threads too and this will be out of pocket if I decide to do it now since I opted not to with the dealer at time of purchase.

Having references for positive experiences with installers as opposed to just having a list of installers is always worthwhile.

G37MA - I don't mean to hijack your thread so I apologize if this is off your topic.