Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

chlorine in the water?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Chapinb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chlorine in the water?

Due to having a high deposit of iron in my water, i have to use alot of chlorine as a softener. Makes the water taste normal but leaves a nice white film on the car. I can usually get most of it off by drying with a microfiber towel but its still visible and im worried about long term damage.
I have a Mr clean car cleaner/purifier set comming but i doubt it will get all the chlorine out.
Will the chlorine do any damage to my car? Is there a way to remove the film after washing other than going to a car wash for a spot free?
Brian
Old 07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chapinb
Due to having a high deposit of iron in my water, i have to use alot of chlorine as a softener. Makes the water taste normal but leaves a nice white film on the car. I can usually get most of it off by drying with a microfiber towel but its still visible and im worried about long term damage.
I have a Mr clean car cleaner/purifier set comming but i doubt it will get all the chlorine out.
Will the chlorine do any damage to my car? Is there a way to remove the film after washing other than going to a car wash for a spot free?
Brian
You would have to wash your car a few times everyday for the small amount of dissolved free chlorine to harm your car. If water sits around for awhile, any dissolved chlorine equilibrates out. If you've ever set up a tropical fish tank, you know that tap water with chlorine can't be used immediately, but is OK after a couple of days. So when the wash/rinse water you use on your car evaporates, the free chlorine goes away also. The white film is either soap residue or calcium carbonate residue from your water softener. Again, nothing to worry about there damage-wise. My water is hard (we have a well) and we don't have a softener, so I always wash the car in town to avoid the white residue. A filter might work, but I haven't tried that.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:38 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hard water contains excessive amounts of minerals, calcium and magnesium. It leaves wetted surfaces with a white filmy or scaly layer. Soft water filtration systems take calcium out of the water by exchanging the sodium for calcium since it's easier to lose the sodium and pick up the calcium. Salt does not directly soften water; salt is only used to regenerate water softeners. The salt creates brine, which flushes the resin bed in the water softener to restore the univalent sodium ions.

The sodium does an ion exchange with the hardness metals (calcium, magnesium, etc), so basically the hardness metals are replaced with sodium. The "harder" the water, the more hydrogen, sodium or potassium ions are released from the resin and into the water. The increase in sodium (salt) levels in the water can be significant, especially when treating very hard water; therefore a water softener would be somewhat of a compromise when it comes to vehicle washing

An extract from one of a series of in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Hard water contains excessive amounts of minerals, calcium and magnesium. It leaves wetted surfaces with a white filmy or scaly layer. Soft water filtration systems take calcium out of the water by exchanging the sodium for calcium since it's easier to lose the sodium and pick up the calcium. Salt does not directly soften water; salt is only used to regenerate water softeners. The salt creates brine, which flushes the resin bed in the water softener to restore the univalent sodium ions.

The sodium does an ion exchange with the hardness metals (calcium, magnesium, etc), so basically the hardness metals are replaced with sodium. The "harder" the water, the more hydrogen, sodium or potassium ions are released from the resin and into the water. The increase in sodium (salt) levels in the water can be significant, especially when treating very hard water; therefore a water softener would be somewhat of a compromise when it comes to vehicle washing

An extract from one of a series of in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
So that means.....???? A little to advanced for me.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Will it hurt you car's paint? Not exactly, but will likely cause your sealant/wax to degrade quicker than normal so if you're not the type of person to wax your car often, ultimately, you could get oxidation quicker.

I'd recommend picking up one of these... CRSpotless Rolling Water Di-ionizer System

Are you tired of washing and drying your vehicle with the fear of water marks? Water marks are caused by deposits in water that eat through your vehicle's finish and leave a nasty haze on the clear coat, glass, metals and more. Sun light expedites this process and can make washing and drying very difficult. You can completely eliminate water marks with the CR Spotless water filtration systems that removes hazardous particles with its amazing filtration process. All natural water has some level of dissolved mineral salt in it. The deionization process uses special resin based filters to collect foreign particles so you have purified water that is safe for washing. To use this machine all you have to do is connect it directly to a water supply and connect a hose and you are ready to go. You can pre-rinse your vehicle in direct sun and even let your vehicle air dry, without the constant fear of water marks. You can also use it to clean your home's exterior windows, RV, boat, car and much more.
CR Spotless has two different models that do the same thing and just vary in the amount of water they filter. The DIW-20 can filter approximately 300 gallons of mineral free water and the DIW-10 can filter approximately 100 gallons. Each system comes with two filters and replacing them is as easy as sliding one out and sliding the other one in. Both systems come with an electronic monitoring device that will notify you when the filter needs to be changed. Just plug in the device to see if the filter needs to be changed. These mobile units come built on to a handy wheel cart, perfect for any mobile detailer. CR Spotless water filtration systems come pre-assembled, so all you have to do is connect it your water supply and start washing!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mr clean's autodry system might do the trick, since it has a filter that di-ionize the water.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A quick / inexpensive solution until / if you purchase the CRSpotless filtration unit.

Hard Water
If you are using tap water that contains high levels of minerals such as calcium hydroxide or silicates, some of the polymers will bond to these minerals and take them out of solution therefore more product might be necessary to compensate for this effect. By adding Optimum No Rinse (ONR) to a regular car wash soap will improves the results when using tap water (0.5 oz / gallon)

Water Supply Classifications (Water Quality Research Council)
• Soft Water- 0 to 1 grains per gallon
• Slightly Hard Water- 1 to 3½ grains per gallon
• Moderately Hard Water- 3½ to 7 grains per gallon
• Hard Water - 7 to 10½ grains per gallon
• Very Hard Water - over 10½ grains per gallon