Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What to do to paint before clear bra application?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Texas_Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do to paint before clear bra application?

Picked up my 09 G37S yesterday but I'm holding my breath and staying off the Texas freeways as much as possible until I get the clear bra put on Monday. A question, though. I became a Zaino nut when I had my 350Z, and I'm staring at the dealer 'detailing' job on my new car and wondering if I should strip whatever they have on the paint off and put on a couple coats of Zaino before the clear bra? Does it matter what's on the paint before a clear bra installation?

Thanks!
T-Bandit
Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I got this one.

Speaking from experience I will tell you to do a couple if things. If you have and chips or noticeable scratches, get them fixed first. They will bug you endlessly each time you look at them under the clear bra and can't do anything about them.

Also, check your paint closely for swirl marks from dealer prep. If you have them, I'd recommend machine polishing the area where the clear bra will be going to make sure it is as scratch free, smooth, and shiny as possible. If you want to put a sealant or wax on it to maximize the depth and glossiness of your finish under the film you can, but I'm not sure it will look any better but if it gives you peace if mind, do it. They may just strip it off before they apply the clear bra anyway.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no need to apply anything, it will evaporate over time anyway. You can apply whatever protection you use over the clear bra after it is installed.

Like Betty said, fix any imperfections before installing the bra.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ exactly what they said......................................
Old 06-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Texas_Bandit

Awesome, sounds like as long as the car's in good shape, I don't need to do anything. I brought it home Friday, clear bra going on Monday... It's the fastest turnaround I could get.

I'll check the paint, but it looked pretty good at the dealer. Doesn't hurt to double check, though.

Is it wrong that I DON'T want to go drive it through the hills on a nice, sunny weekend because I'm scared of chipping something before getting the bra on?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:01 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope, not wrong at all! I had a delay between purchasing my G and getting my clear bra too.

As far as the "treatment" you should do before the bra.....don't waste any products. The solution they use to install the clear bra (most places) is a mixture of distilled water, baby shampoo or hand soap, and rubbing alcohol. With that combo, likely any LSP's you've put on before hand will be stripped. So, like I said.....don't waste any product.

Enjoy the new ride bro!!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Like they said. The installer will strip and wax or residue before the install to ensure proper adhesion.

I'm a Zaino nut as well. Used it for 9 years on my vette and even switched once or twice but always ended up back. I've already put several coats of Z2 plus CS on the car including the clear bra.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Texas_Bandit

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
^^ Like they said. The installer will strip and wax or residue before the install to ensure proper adhesion.

I'm a Zaino nut as well. Used it for 9 years on my vette and even switched once or twice but always ended up back. I've already put several coats of Z2 plus CS on the car including the clear bra.
Good to know there are other Zaino freaks here as well. It was the 'stuff' of choice on the 350Z boards I perused when I got the Z years ago, but I don't see as much about it on these boards. Also glad to know it's happy with the Ventureshield
Old 06-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you zaino nuts should try wolfgang sealant 3.0, has about the same durability, but a much wetter looking appearance, also has the same reflective shimmer too. Great product.