Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Bekaert Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Texas_Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bekaert Clear Bra?

Anyone have any experience with Bekaert Clear Bra's? I've got a new G37 coming into town in a couple days, and I'm going back and forth on having the dealer put one on. Dealer is asking $900 to install it + lifetime warranty, but I can't find many reviews on Bekaert (and when I asked I didn't get a full answer as to what panels I get covered for $900 - still need that info). Searching this and other sports car forums, just about everyone uses 3M or Venture Shield. Anyone have experience with Bekaert?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Bandit
Anyone have any experience with Bekaert Clear Bra's? I've got a new G37 coming into town in a couple days, and I'm going back and forth on having the dealer put one on. Dealer is asking $900 to install it + lifetime warranty, but I can't find many reviews on Bekaert (and when I asked I didn't get a full answer as to what panels I get covered for $900 - still need that info). Searching this and other sports car forums, just about everyone uses 3M or Venture Shield. Anyone have experience with Bekaert?

Thanks!
Never heard of Bekaert... Weird. Sounds kinda sketchy.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Thanks!
I have been installing paint protection film for over 5 years and I can tell you Bekaert is not a good film. I have tried it once and dix not like the film... there are much better options out there. Not to mention $900 is a little steep for that film.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ What's so bad about it? I have the Bekaert Clearshield, and it's actually thicker, more durable than the 3M. Works just as well anyway.

I can't remember the exact price, but I paid less than $300CAD for hood (18" coverage), fenders, and mirrors. That includes installation and lifetime warranty from my installer.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by psyh
^^^ What's so bad about it? I have the Bekaert Clearshield, and it's actually thicker, more durable than the 3M. Works just as well anyway.

I can't remember the exact price, but I paid less than $300CAD for hood (18" coverage), fenders, and mirrors. That includes installation and lifetime warranty from my installer.
The finish of the film is not a durable as other brands. Also thicker is not better. I am not sure why people think that but that is bad information. You want the film to be "invisible"... thicker films are much more noticable. If you saw some films side by side it would be easy to show you the difference.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Still no reason why it's not good.

All I can say is it has been working flawlessly for me. The thickness doesn't bother me at all – that's a matter of opinion – but it certainly doesn't suddenly make it a bad film. And if the quality is not up to par with other brands, my installer wouldn't have used it for the past 10 years and offer it life time warranty beyond the manufacture's 5 year warranty.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Look I am not trying to get into a pissing match with you regarding your film. I am telling you as an installer I do not use that film because of the durability of the film. I also do not like how the film looks. A little too much orange peel for me. Yes it works great and it should bring that thick. Thick films are old technology though and you can get as good or better protection from the 6 mil films... Whick by the way come with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Your installer knows people typically only keep cars around 3 to 5 years so he isn't loosing anything. Think about it...

There is a reason why only about 5 percent of installers use bakaert. But believe what you want. As long as your happy with it and it is working for you. That's all that matters for you. Other people might want a better film with a better finish and as an installer who has installed just about every film on the market I can tell them that there is a better film out there.

Originally Posted by psyh
^^^ Still no reason why it's not good.

All I can say is it has been working flawlessly for me. The thickness doesn't bother me at all – that's a matter of opinion – but it certainly doesn't suddenly make it a bad film. And if the quality is not up to par with other brands, my installer wouldn't have used it for the past 10 years and offer it life time warranty beyond the manufacture's 5 year warranty.

Last edited by CrazyRuskie; 06-16-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Please don't insult people -- it doesn't matter where someone is located.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 PM
85bmw86vw09inf

TB:

Not sure what film my installer used, but I have been having my windows tinted at this same place for 20 yrs (prob. 15+ cars) and have always been pleased and totally trust them. Paid $550 for the clear bra that he just did on my G37s. Justin/A1 glass coating@ 210-490-3977 in San Antonio
Old 06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go to Ventureshield's website (http://www.ventureshield.com/) and check their list of certified installers you'll find a few in your area. They should at least be able to give you a quote over the phone.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Texas_Bandit

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
If you go to Ventureshield's website (http://www.ventureshield.com/) and check their list of certified installers you'll find a few in your area. They should at least be able to give you a quote over the phone.
Found this earlier today and plan to make some calls this evening. And thanks everyone for all the feedback. The way it's looking, I have confirmed my initial impression that the dealership is not going to be the way to go... I just need to get the clear bra installed quickly because Texas roads are especially dangerous to a car's paint!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM
acura19

the dealer doesnt install it. they are just the middle man. they get a cut for setting up the appointment etc. it's just convenient to have it done before you pick up your car. the price they quote you is always negotiable. tell them you can get it for $500-600 elsewhere and they will typically match it. i think the $900 may include so back bumper protection also. i think i paid $600 for the front bumper, lights, partial hood, and side mirrors. the dealer wanted $800.

Found this earlier today and plan to make some calls this evening. And thanks everyone for all the feedback. The way it's looking, I have confirmed my initial impression that the dealership is not going to be the way to go... I just need to get the clear bra installed quickly because Texas roads are especially dangerous to a car's paint!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by acura19
the dealer doesnt install it. they are just the middle man. they get a cut for setting up the appointment etc. it's just convenient to have it done before you pick up your car. the price they quote you is always negotiable. tell them you can get it for $500-600 elsewhere and they will typically match it. i think the $900 may include so back bumper protection also. i think i paid $600 for the front bumper, lights, partial hood, and side mirrors. the dealer wanted $800.
Like I said $900 was a little high but you get what you pay for. I have seen standard installs (partial hood, partial fenders, bumper, lights, and mirrors) go for $1400 before. There are factors in the pricing to consider... not all films are the same and not all of the cost the same. Also better installers will typically charge more for their work since their quality of work is much higher than others. Like anything else in life... cheaper is not always better. Pay a little extra for a quality film and a good installer and you will be happy with your results. Most people I hear complain about their installs is because they took the cheap way out. They got cheap film that doesnt last and/or an installer that isnt good at applying film. The results are bad and people generalize that thats how clear bras are.

and one more little hint, just because they are "certified" doesnt mean they will be any good. I have seen numerous certified installers that were terrible. When I was first certified I wasnt anywhere close to where I am at now. It takes many hours of installations plus you learn and pick up little tricks/tips along the way. Some guys get certified, and only do a few installs a year. So they really dont know what they are doing. Thats why I ALWAYS recommend checking out their work first. And jsut because they do well at window tinting doesnt mean they can apply PPF at all. In fact most tinters are not good installers because the process is different and they are spending most of their time doing tint. Find someone that is a clear bra installer... thats what they do to make their living so they have a lot of experience doing it.