Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear bra for your G?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is actually the reason why I don't have one on mine... Of course this was purely theoretical at the time having never seen the long term effects of the clear bra on something like the scratch shield clear coat.

saw it on a merc e55... didn't look very shiny/glossy after about 3 years.

Originally Posted by jane
Got this from 3M

Thank you for contacting 3M.

I do not have any direct experience with the Infiniti Scratch Shield Paint.
However, I would be cautious covering this with a film. The self healing
properties of the clear coat indicate that it is not cross-linked/cured and
may have outgassing as the clear coat ages. This outgassing could result in
bubbles trapped beneath the clear coat and Paint Protection Film.

Regards,

Mike Kim
3M Company, Automotive Division Lab
Building 209-2N-01
Phone: 651-736-6922
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi Alt G

Folks who travel I-80 in the winter time through Wyoming should be aware that WYDOT puts down "sand" that is big enough and sharp enough that when the tractor trailer rigs throw it up off the road it can penetrate a clear bra. I have personal experience. Having said that, we'd still love you to come and visit our lovely state (winter or summer).

p.s. I owned a Volvo for 6 years, put only 38K miles on it and replaced the windshield four times. Welcome to I-80 winter driving.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 PM
chuwontis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY/NJ venture shield installer?

I got one...a damn rock chip.

I thought it would never happen to me considering I HAD a maxima for 10yrs with very little dings/chips. After a couple of weeks with my new 09 G37x, I got one. Fraking trucks!!!!

Other then the front bumper, hood and fender, any other area I should consider? Any good installer in the NY/NJ area? Need to get this done quick before I get another one.Thanks in advance

P.S
Bit off topic but... I have a 09 G37Xs Liquid Platinum, prem, nav. Dealer threw in the kick plate to sweeten the deal but I dont notice it iluminating.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
kmp

Just get it done, Did our before I even took delivery and I haven't gotten one single chip. A few minor dents in the plastic but no chips. I'm coming up on 2 years and it's holding up great.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 AM
chuwontis

Hey thanks kmp...glad its holding up for you and gives me confident in getting it.

Anyone knows a good installer in NY/NJ area to do venture shield installer? Thats what everyone on this forum is saying, to go with venture shield over 3M even though they are the same company but separate product. Kinda like Nissan and Infiniti
Old 02-15-2010, 02:29 PM
cdso

I just had my G done with 3M film. I was getting my windows tinted so i figured I'd get the clearshield at the same time rather than having to make another trip. They told me that the 3M guarantees the film for 5 years against coloring. Seems reasonable to me. Shop did a great job...very smooth.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 AM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by chuwontis
Hey thanks kmp...glad its holding up for you and gives me confident in getting it.

Anyone knows a good installer in NY/NJ area to do venture shield installer? Thats what everyone on this forum is saying, to go with venture shield over 3M even though they are the same company but separate product. Kinda like Nissan and Infiniti
3M = lots of orange peel and a 5 year warranty
VentureShield = no orange peel and lifetime warranty.

The two films are very different. They are manufactured with a different process in a different facility. 3M bought VentureShield out... thats the only thing they have in common. I only install VentureShield because its a better film.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:53 PM
VernSchillinger

Had a clearbra done on the sister's 2010 G37 Sedan with sport pack. Installer was Autoshield Carolinas in Charlotte, NC. Was very happy with the outcome. Vehicle color is smoky quartz and the bra is all but invisible. The film was 3M and the kit was 24".
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 AM
chuwontis

Thanks for all the reply.

Venture shield will be my choice.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM
hookedoncars2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=cdso;2859634]i just had my g done with 3m film. I was getting my windows tinted so i figured i'd get the clearshield at the same time rather than having to make another trip. They told me that the 3m guarantees the film for 5 years against coloring. Seems reasonable to me. Shop did a great job...very smooth.[/qu

Just had my G37 clear bra'd (3M) and tinted (top grade, 30% all around). Prior to getting this done, I asked the shop owner about any promotions, discounts, etc. He replied that if I had both the clear bra and window tinting done at the same time, he would discount the job from $779 ($600 bra, $179 tint) down to $635.

The car looks great now. We'll have to see longer term how the car and bra look with its interaction with the scratch shield paint.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 PM
cdso

[quote=hookedoncars2;2860517]
Originally Posted by cdso
i just had my g done with 3m film. I was getting my windows tinted so i figured i'd get the clearshield at the same time rather than having to make another trip. They told me that the 3m guarantees the film for 5 years against coloring. Seems reasonable to me. Shop did a great job...very smooth.[/qu

Just had my G37 clear bra'd (3M) and tinted (top grade, 30% all around). Prior to getting this done, I asked the shop owner about any promotions, discounts, etc. He replied that if I had both the clear bra and window tinting done at the same time, he would discount the job from $779 ($600 bra, $179 tint) down to $635.

The car looks great now. We'll have to see longer term how the car and bra look with its interaction with the scratch shield paint.
Good deal! Wish I had gotten that deal...
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM
jmark

Originally Posted by VernSchillinger
Had a clearbra done on the sister's 2010 G37 Sedan with sport pack. Installer was Autoshield Carolinas in Charlotte, NC. Was very happy with the outcome. Vehicle color is smoky quartz and the bra is all but invisible. The film was 3M and the kit was 24".
Price? I work in Charlotte NC and was thinking of using them too.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just made an appointment to have it installed next Sunday. The place is a 200 mile round trip for me, in Tampa.
I have to make a 700 mile round trip this week, so I will keep my fingers crossed that I don't get any chips before the film gets put on.
I just waited a couple of weeks before I had it put on a Lexus GS430 and it already had gotten 2 chips in it. I lived in Kansas then and had to drive 360 miles round trip to get that film put on.
Before then I had a Porsche that looked like it had chicken pox, because of all the paint chips. it seemed like every time I washed it I had to put touch up paint in the new chips.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 PM
mexillis

any recom. installers for ventureshield in NOVA, MD, PA area?