Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear bra for your G?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tufts0207
So I pick up my new wheels on Saturday and I have an appointment that afternoon to drop off the car to get ventureshielded. A couple quick questions...

1. Is it a lot more to cover the whole hood? It all depends on who is doing the install. Typically it will cost you a couple of hundred more for the full hood.
2. Is it worth covering the whole hood? Not really as far as protection goes but for looks it will be invisible if you have a good installer.
3. Does it look good/bad to cover the whole hood? Looks much better...

I do want to protect the paint but I also want the car to look beautiful...

4. Do they apply the venture shield to the front bumper and rear bumper? One of my biggest pet peeves is when parallel parkers bump cars getting in and out and scuff up the bumpers There is a rear bumper piece for that but you will have to ask specifically for it.

5. Lastly, how should I protect the doors from dings? Dealer was offering $1400 plan to protect against dings but that is way too much in my opinion. The plan only last 3 years too. Never heard of a door ding plan... and it would not be worth $1400 anyway. Just be careful where you park.
Thanks
Who is doing your install?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:15 PM
tufts0207

Global energy solutions in parma, oh...offered for $600 but not sure what price of whole hood is. i'll look into it though
Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
source1tx

I have one on my car It works great I drive the freeway 90% of the time and its really held up well over the last year and a half. It came on the car when I took delivery
Old 10-03-2009, 04:00 PM
lucialilac

Thumbs up Had Avery Paint Protection Shield Installed Today!

Hi. I'm new to this forum but I would just like to respond to this post and say that I am so pleased with my install. I live in NY State and Chris from Pristine Autowerks installed my clear bra. He is a NYC police officer who owns Pristine Autowerks with a retired NYC police officer. Chris installs in his home in Rockland County, NY or he's mobile so he'll come to you. He did an AMAZING job. I can barely see the shield and I'm really happy with his work. He serves the NY area. Here's a link to his contact information:
Pristine Autowerks* 3M Certified Installer of Scotchgard Paint* Protection Film

Heather L.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:00 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I pay 850 ,1/4 of hood,frontbumper,side mirror,A pillars,head lights ,roof line,rear bumper deck. Roof line A pillars, and rear bumper deck is venture shield everything else 3M.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:04 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone use a soft bristle toothbrush to get the wax off of the edges of their bra??
Old 10-04-2009, 10:18 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
clear bra vs re-paint

When I had my G8, I had the front bumper re-cleared and coated with several layers of clear coat. It was really thick, and hard as a rock. I never got a rock chip after I did the re-clear. I would get little depressions in the plastic where rocks would hit like little bullets, bit not once did the re-cleared CC chip or crack. I had explained to the body shop that the G8's oem cc was crap (new, water-based product), and that was why I was having this done, and they said they had several non-water based CC's to choose from, and that they would apply several coats. I'll have to say, it worked really well and cost about $350.00.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DrJones
anyone use a soft bristle toothbrush to get the wax off of the edges of their bra??
I think this depends on the products used. I've been using Zaino products on mine since 12/06 with no build up problems so I've never needed to "brush" the edges of the film.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 AM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
clear bra vs re-paint

When I had my G8, I had the front bumper re-cleared and coated with several layers of clear coat. It was really thick, and hard as a rock. I never got a rock chip after I did the re-clear. I would get little depressions in the plastic where rocks would hit like little bullets, bit not once did the re-cleared CC chip or crack. I had explained to the body shop that the G8's oem cc was crap (new, water-based product), and that was why I was having this done, and they said they had several non-water based CC's to choose from, and that they would apply several coats. I'll have to say, it worked really well and cost about $350.00.
Well that may work to an extent with your bumper, what about your hood, fenders, mirrors, rockers, lights, and so on? You would have to clear the entire front of the car numerous times... and it still will not completely protect from chips. One headlight housing alone will cost more than the entire clear bra install. Your idea is a good alternative but I dont think it will replace getting a clear bra.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
jamesyoon

So anyone reccomendations for So-Cal? More than money, quality is what I'm looking for.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesyoon
So anyone reccomendations for So-Cal? More than money, quality is what I'm looking for.
Envisage Design Labs did my install back in 12/06. You can check out my car at the next major meet to see what it looks like. Contact Bhane at 310.613.3978
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by jamesyoon
Sticker City or Premier. Both are very good although Premier is the best in the business. Plan on shelling out some bucks with Premier.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
jamesyoon

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Sticker City or Premier. Both are very good although Premier is the best in the business. Plan on shelling out some bucks with Premier.
so their business is called premier? any contact/web info?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:28 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Well that may work to an extent with your bumper, what about your hood, fenders, mirrors, rockers, lights, and so on? You would have to clear the entire front of the car numerous times... and it still will not completely protect from chips. One headlight housing alone will cost more than the entire clear bra install. Your idea is a good alternative but I dont think it will replace getting a clear bra.
True. The vast majority of my rock chips now are on the bumper (3 months, 3300 miles). If I had had the money at the time, I would have clear-bra-ed the front of the car. I did like having just a bullet-proof CC, though, and not having to worry about fading or aging or dullness or waxing issues and so forth.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 PM
jane

Got this from 3M

Thank you for contacting 3M.

I do not have any direct experience with the Infiniti Scratch Shield Paint.
However, I would be cautious covering this with a film. The self healing
properties of the clear coat indicate that it is not cross-linked/cured and
may have outgassing as the clear coat ages. This outgassing could result in
bubbles trapped beneath the clear coat and Paint Protection Film.

Regards,

Mike Kim
3M Company, Automotive Division Lab
Building 209-2N-01
Phone: 651-736-6922

Quick Reply: Clear bra for your G?