Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

NON-Professional Detail Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 PM
djm17178

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NON-Professional Detail Suggestions

Hey folks,

I just got my G37 a few weeks ago, have already washed her a couple times, and am looking at doing something extra to help bring out the shine and protect her.

I've read through serveral of the "professional" guides, and it looks like the main suggestion is to buy an automatic polisher, and go to town with it.

Now, I have never done anything to a car other than wash it before. So this is new territory for me. Do I really need to go as far as buying a polisher? Does anyone have any recommendations for the more moderate care of the exterior? Is it possible to keep her looking good without spending an entire day doing multiple washes, claying, polishing, waxing, etc?

Just looking for a more moderate approach to taking care of her, and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with some of the suggestions here.

Thanks all!!

- Dave
Old 06-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the "day long" process is only recommended to be done once or twice a year just to set up the car's looks and to maintain it a lot easier.

You will need a polisher to remove any embedded swirls that are found even in brand new car's clear coat.

If you're just looking to do everything by hand, make sure you get a claybar, and clay the car once every 3-6 months, and possible a good glaze that has fillers to help hide some of the swirls.

After that, you'll want a good wax and/or sealant to lock in the shine and protect the surface.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used Zaino products on my Corvette that I owned for 9 years and it looked great although it was rarely driven in bad weather. Nonetheless they're very easy to apply by hand with no rubbing or buffing, although a good prep should always be done. You apply very light coats and it easily wipes off. You can quickly add layers if needed over time. I've already applied a few coats on my G with great results, and it's very durable.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I use the Z-2 and Z-5 polishes, the Z-6 Spray and the Z-CS Clear Seal. I've used their clay on my vette and it was great but I didn't feel I needed it right now. Their leather cleaner and conditioner are also excellent. More expensive than products you'll find in stores but they are really good products. Do a search and you'll see a lot of people agree.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:52 PM
acura19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i second the zaino if you want to do it by hand without a polisher. i also add in the Z8 spray. gives it that extra wet look. claybar is really recommended. it gives you that smooth glass like feel to your car.