Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need some advice on buying a polisher

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 PM
infin1t3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on buying a polisher

I recently waxed my car and did not get the full results I wanted by hand. I was looking to purchase a polisher and was looking at the 7424 PC and saw it for $220 Canadian. Was wondering if there are other good quality polishers that will do the job but a little cheaper
Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
nikku

Your best bet is probably the Porter Cable. Why don't you try looking around for a used one?

You could always try simoniz but I personally have not used it nor would I recommend it.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Stems

I would recommend the PC 7424 as well, and it's a lot cheaper then $220 if you pick it up at eShine! Link here
Old 05-29-2009, 01:45 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a member selling his.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:28 PM
nikku

+1 for eshine. Get a kit if anything else to get started.

I personally would have gone used if I had a second chance.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 PM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

I just bought the Flex but haven't used it yet. I will be practicing on older vehicles first.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 PM
infin1t3

Alright yea I was looking at the eshine.ca and thats a pretty good deal. What 3 pads would you recommend just the white, orange, and yellow?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

The package I bought had the following 3 pads:
1) Orange - swirl remover
2) White - Polishing or Finishing Pad
3) Red - Sealant or Wax
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 PM
nikku

Pads are great but you still need to make sure you get the right polishes.

I'm assuming you have a g37 is it at '08 or 09? 09 have the self healing clear coat. Infinitis have hard clears so you can get away with Lake country pads of orange and white. As for polishes I would definitely get Menzerna Power Finish and Menzerna Micro Finish PO80rd. Also if you have extra cash pick up the 3.5 inch backing plate and 4 inch pads. 4 inch pads have more cutting power than the 5.5 or 6. On a DA the smaller the pad the more cutting power, on a rotary the smaller the pad the less cutting power.

hope that helps.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 05-31-2009, 03:12 PM
infin1t3

Yea I have a 08 G37. I'm not too sure what pads I should be getting from eshina.ca when I order the PC 7424. I'm pretty sure I wouldnt want the yellow heavy cutting pad because the car is quite new and I dont want to be taking off a lot of the clear coat. But they also have; Orange- Mild cut, White-Polishing, Green-Polishing/Finishing, Black-Finishing, and Blue-Finessing pad. Orange, white and black seemed the liked it made the most sense to me but I don't know that much about polishing.

Also I was looking at Concours Finish pictures and he said he used Prima Swirl and his before pictures are just about identical to my G37 right now.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 PM
gthal

Originally Posted by infin1t3
Yea I have a 08 G37. I'm not too sure what pads I should be getting from eshina.ca when I order the PC 7424. I'm pretty sure I wouldnt want the yellow heavy cutting pad because the car is quite new and I dont want to be taking off a lot of the clear coat. But they also have; Orange- Mild cut, White-Polishing, Green-Polishing/Finishing, Black-Finishing, and Blue-Finessing pad. Orange, white and black seemed the liked it made the most sense to me but I don't know that much about polishing.

Also I was looking at Concours Finish pictures and he said he used Prima Swirl and his before pictures are just about identical to my G37 right now.
White pad with Menzerna 203 worked great for me. I would get more than 1 white pad. They are very versatile and you should have more than one. I have an orange, 3 white, and a black finishing pad.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 PM
infin1t3

Okay what pads should i be using for the different steps, like I have the mothers 3 step (pre-wax, polishing and glazing, and carnauba wax) But I was looking to add in another polisher such as prima swirl and menzerna. What pads should I use for the steps and what order should I add in the prima or menzerna? Thanks for all the help by the way
Old 06-01-2009, 07:47 PM
gthal

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by infin1t3
Okay what pads should i be using for the different steps, like I have the mothers 3 step (pre-wax, polishing and glazing, and carnauba wax) But I was looking to add in another polisher such as prima swirl and menzerna. What pads should I use for the steps and what order should I add in the prima or menzerna? Thanks for all the help by the way
My pads/process...

I will use my orange pad with an aggressive polish only if needed (haven't needed to yet... orange pad is on reserve )

White pad with my Menzerna PO203 polish.

Black pad with the all in one paint cleaner/sealant (Werkstat Prime for me, likely the pre-wax cleaner in your case).

Glaze and carnauba by hand (IMO).

Ordering...
  1. Aggressive polish/pad first (only if needed)
  2. Finishing polish (Menzerna PO203 is a one step that works well so it is like a medium cut polish and a finishing polish all in one)
  3. 50/50 Isopropyl alcohol/water wipe down
  4. Pre-wax/paint cleaner
  5. Glaze (if being used)
  6. Sealant (if being used)
  7. Wax
Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 PM
nikku

gthal how do you find polishing the self healing paint on the new infiniti clear coats?

Infinit3 in terms of pads. I personally have everything from yellow cut to blue finisse however you can get away with just orange and white. You can play around with polish combinations to make those pads more or less affective in terms of cutting. In terms of one step polishing you can use Power Finish with either of them.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM
gthal

Originally Posted by nikku
gthal how do you find polishing the self healing paint on the new infiniti clear coats?
Haven't yet

I had a 2008 IP G37S before my current G37 and a black Hyundai Veracruz (wife's) that I'm basing my experience on... my 2009 with the self healing clear coat only has 300 miles and no swirls/marring yet... so it hasn't been touched.

I asked the same question here and on the Detailing Bliss forum and no one had much in the way of definitive experience. George did mention that he thought a mild polish with a PC would be fine... others said polishing will damage the clear coat given the way the new clear reacts with heat...

If you end up detailing a 2009, please post your results for those of us with the healing clear coat.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on buying a polisher