Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need some advice on buying a polisher

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by infin1t3
Alright. I was looking at the clearkote wax is that a good wax? and I was also going to get the poorboys black hole glaze. So for my process I was looking to do this:
white pad (PC 2-3) - Menzerna PO 203
orange pad (PC 3-4)- PO 203
white pad (PC 4-6)- PO 203
white pad PC 3)- Poor boys black hole glaze
black pad - wax?

Would this be a good process and should i just do the wax by hand or is the black pad fine for that?
Use a black or blue pad for glaze, definitely not a white one. PBW Black Hole is great glaze for dark cars. A black pad is fine for wax too. I've never used the ClearKote wax. There is no need to polish as you are stating. Try the polish on a white pad. If it gives you the correction you need, stick with that for the whole car. If it doesn't and you don't want to use a more aggressive polish like Menzerna SIP, then try it on an orange pad. You don't need to polish it with both pads using the same polish. Use white if it gives you enough correction or orange if you need more correction.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright. I was looking at the clearkote wax is that a good wax? and I was also going to get the poorboys black hole glaze. So for my process I was looking to do this:
black pad - wax?

Would this be a good process and should i just do the wax by hand or is the black pad fine for that?
Why slow down using the orange pad? And no need for speed 4 for any polishing phase. Also I'd use a more aggressive polish with the orange pad., but only after you tried your low aggressive polish and white pad, if they don't work, move up to the orange.

Stick to speed 5-6 always for polishing, only slow it down for glazes, sealants, or liquid waxes.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 PM
gthal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black pad - wax?

You won't need to go Menzerna 3 times...

I would suggest Menzerna on a white pad (4-5) is all you would need to remove light swirls. Always start with the least aggressive approach first. If it doesn't remove all of the swirls, then try using the orange pad.

The glaze and wax could be applied with a black pad or by hand. I personally apply waxes and sealants by hand. I will use the black pad for paint cleaners and all-in-one products.

Don't know much about the Clearkote wax or the glaze. I don't typically use glaze as I believe (maybe incorrectly) that it reduces the durability of the wax/sealant. I have heard great things about the Optimum products (particularly Poli-seal as a cleaner and base coat, followed by Opti-seal).
Old 06-13-2009, 01:05 AM
infin1t3

Alright well thanks for the help. Ill order some stuff in and let ya know how it goes.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM
infin1t3

Here are the results from...

1) Menzerna super instensive polish - Orange Pad
2) Menzerna Power Finish - White Pad
3) Poorboys Black Whole Glaze - Black Pad
4) 2 layers of Poorboys EX Sealant - by hand
5) 1 layer of Clearkote Carnauba wax - by hand

Last edited by infin1t3; 07-28-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
gthal

Great job! Looks really nice. Black is tough to maintain but looks amazing when done right. Looks like your research and work paid off... congrats.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
ReconKnight

I got a PC 7424 XP from coastaltools.com for $109. I've been reading the detailing threads here and will be doing my first full detail on my wife's black Lancer before I try on my G. You guys have been great help.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a place for both a random orbital buffer and a high speed polisher in a detailer’s toolkit, once you are proficient with an orbital all that is required to ‘step-up' to the polisher is practice, practice and then more practice, which should be done on a scrap vehicle panel as opposed to your own or someone else’s vehicle

Sometimes a dual-action polisher just isn’t enough for really tough scratches and swirls. You need the cutting power of a rotary polisher to penetrate the clear coat and smooth over rough edges to restore your paint to its original flawless finish.

Scale 1/10

Porter-Cable - 7424XP
Safety - 9
Correcting time - 10
Correcting ability - 5
Learning curve -2

Flex - L3403 VRG
Safety - 8
Correcting time - 9
Correcting ability - 7
Learning curve - 5

Rotary - Metabo PE-125
Safety - 3
Correcting time - 5
Correcting ability - 9
Learning curve - 8

Like all tools there is a learning curve with it, so first gain experience on a paint surface that doesn’t matter i.e. a scrap panel, practice until you feel confident enough in its use and capabilities to use it on your own vehicle.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.