Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need some advice on buying a polisher

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you can afford it, flex 3401... way better than the pc 7424. more power, better orbiting motion, better cut.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 AM
nikku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the thread jack Infint3. If you have more questions fire away.

Gthal,

mmmm i'm tempted to pick up a factory panel with self healing. I'll check out the junk yard in a few months.

You jumped from an 08 to an 09? Why the switch?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Seer

Originally Posted by gthal
Haven't yet

I had a 2008 IP G37S before my current G37 and a black Hyundai Veracruz (wife's) that I'm basing my experience on... my 2009 with the self healing clear coat only has 300 miles and no swirls/marring yet... so it hasn't been touched.

I asked the same question here and on the Detailing Bliss forum and no one had much in the way of definitive experience. George did mention that he thought a mild polish with a PC would be fine... others said polishing will damage the clear coat given the way the new clear reacts with heat...

If you end up detailing a 2009, please post your results for those of us with the healing clear coat.
ive polished self healing clear coated infiniti's before... mild polish and a pc or a flex is perfectly fine. dont go more aggressive than a green or white pad.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 PM
gthal

Originally Posted by nikku
You jumped from an 08 to an 09? Why the switch?
Owned manuals my entire life... bought an 08 auto due to more traffic in my commute... kicked my self in the @ss for the better part of a year

Worked with the dealer and was able to upgrade to 09 6MT without losing "too" much cash... I smile every day again...
Old 06-06-2009, 12:22 PM
n00dles566

Autogeek.net is also a very good website to look at!!

They sell a few different DA Polishers there! But from what I've heard, the Porter Cable is gonna be the best choice.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Seer

Originally Posted by n00dles566
Autogeek.net is also a very good website to look at!!

They sell a few different DA Polishers there! But from what I've heard, the Porter Cable is gonna be the best choice.

PC7424 is the best DA for under $120... but the Flex 3401 crushes it in performance by far... but it is also more than 2x the price, sitting at $270.

The Flex 3401 gives you the correction factor and speed of about 90% of a rotary polisher, but still with the DA/Orbit motion.

Flex also gives a much smoother function and operation than the PC. Think of the PC7424 as an Infiniti G37S, great car, great performance. Then picture the Flex as a GT-R.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Seer
PC7424 is the best DA for under $120... but the Flex 3401 crushes it in performance by far... but it is also more than 2x the price, sitting at $270.

The Flex 3401 gives you the correction factor and speed of about 90% of a rotary polisher, but still with the DA/Orbit motion.

Flex also gives a much smoother function and operation than the PC. Think of the PC7424 as an Infiniti G37S, great car, great performance. Then picture the Flex as a GT-R.
Having recently moved from the PC to the Flex, I think this is a really good analogy.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 AM
infin1t3

Hey so I just purchased the PC 7424 and the menzerna PO 203. I also have the mothers 3 step (pre-wax, seal and glaze, wax). I was hoping to polish out the slight swirls seen in the sun. Am I going to need more than the PO 203 like a swirl remover and any recommendations for a swirl remover? I have two white pads and 1 black pad, will the white pads be enough to get rid of the slight swirls? One more question.. where in the 3 step mothers should I be doing the menzerna PO 203? Thanks in advance for the help
Old 06-10-2009, 01:10 PM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

Why do you want to use Mothers so much? There are so many more quality waxes/sealants available.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Seer

Originally Posted by infin1t3
Hey so I just purchased the PC 7424 and the menzerna PO 203. I also have the mothers 3 step (pre-wax, seal and glaze, wax). I was hoping to polish out the slight swirls seen in the sun. Am I going to need more than the PO 203 like a swirl remover and any recommendations for a swirl remover? I have two white pads and 1 black pad, will the white pads be enough to get rid of the slight swirls? One more question.. where in the 3 step mothers should I be doing the menzerna PO 203? Thanks in advance for the help
You would do the mothers process after you do the swirl removal with the menzerna.

It's always wise to have 3 different polishes, and 3-4 different pads.

Cutting Compound, Medium Polish, and a Finishing Polish

I would say you may need orange pads for heavier swirls, and the above mentioned polishes, here is a break down for pads/polishes.

If sticking with Menzerna I'd recommend this setup.

Orange Pad - Cutting Compound (PO83 SIP)
White Pad - Medium Polish (PO203, since you already have it)
Gray Pad - Finishing Polish (PO85rd)

Start out using PO203 with a white pad, and if youre not getting the correction you want, step up to PO83/SIP and an Orange Pad, then finish up with a Gray Pad and PO85rd... then you can glaze, seal, wax etc

As far as the mothers products... eh... theyre not very good products.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 PM
infin1t3

Well I live in Canada and pretty much the only auto deatail store is canadian tire.. so I have to order all my stuff. Also I dont want to be spending too much on the products but would you guys recommend for the steps after polishing like what would I need (to replace the mothers 3 steps)? I already have the meguirs detail spray and clay bar, should I use that to get rid of the mothers products (wax) before I use the menzerna PO 203 with PC? I used the mothers 3 steps a little over 2 weeks ago by hand..

I was looking to order a few more pads and some wax from eshine.ca. And probly just end up using the mothers on a different car.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:05 PM
infin1t3

Also, im not experienced with detailing and am I little worried using a stronger cutting orange pad and a super intensive polish on a new 08, should I not be?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Seer

Also, im not experienced with detailing and am I little worried using a stronger cutting orange pad and a super intensive polish on a new 08, should I not be?
unless you planned on putting the pad on one spot for 3-5 minutes and didn't move it, no. The PC is not a scarey machine for beginners to use, now a rotary on the other hand can mess up your paint if you don't know what you are doing. Don't be affraid of the PC.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Seer

Well I live in Canada and pretty much the only auto deatail store is canadian tire.. so I have to order all my stuff. Also I dont want to be spending too much on the products but would you guys recommend for the steps after polishing like what would I need (to replace the mothers 3 steps)? I already have the meguirs detail spray and clay bar, should I use that to get rid of the mothers products (wax) before I use the menzerna PO 203 with PC? I used the mothers 3 steps a little over 2 weeks ago by hand..

I was looking to order a few more pads and some wax from eshine.ca. And probly just end up using the mothers on a different car.
eshine.ca is your best bet.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
infin1t3

Alright. I was looking at the clearkote wax is that a good wax? and I was also going to get the poorboys black hole glaze. So for my process I was looking to do this:
white pad (PC 2-3) - Menzerna PO 203
orange pad (PC 3-4)- PO 203
white pad (PC 4-6)- PO 203
white pad PC 3)- Poor boys black hole glaze
black pad - wax?

Would this be a good process and should i just do the wax by hand or is the black pad fine for that?

Quick Reply: Need some advice on buying a polisher