Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New to waxing and polishing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
infin1t3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to waxing and polishing

Hey I have a black 08 G37 and was looking to wax and polish it. I bought mothers pure carauba wax and was looking for the 3 step process (pre wax, polish, and wax). Looking for advice on product and process. I have little swirl marks and slight scratches on clearcoat.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Do you have a machine polisher? If not, I wouldn't bother polishing. Polishing by hand is near impossible. You simply cannot create the RPMs to duplicate a machine.

If you do have a polisher, here is what you need:

1.) Wash with a quality wash. I prefer Dodo born to be mild.
2.) Clay.
3.) Polish. I prefer Menzerna and Optimum Polishes.
4.) Wax or Sealant. We offer quality carnauba waxes at www.migliorewax.com.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Check out my info in this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...in-a-week.html
Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the first detail, I'd recommend this (assuming you don't own a polisher)

Wash
Claybar
Wash
Glaze
Sealant
Wax

Maintain with a detail spray after each wash. Wax as needed... strip everything off every 3 months, and re-apply glaze/sealant/wax.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
infin1t3

I was just planning on doing it by hand. I was thinking of doing the mother's "3-step" process should I also do the clay bar? and when would I do that process during the 3 step mothers?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Seer

Originally Posted by infin1t3
I was just planning on doing it by hand. I was thinking of doing the mother's "3-step" process should I also do the clay bar? and when would I do that process during the 3 step mothers?
If using the mothers 3 step do this.

Wash (no need to dry it this step)
Clay bar
Wash again (dry this time)
Mothers step 1 pre-wax cleaner
Mothers step 2 polish/glaze
Mothers step 3 wax

Should claybar your car at least every 6 months.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 PM
infin1t3

Alright how often should I be doing the other three steps? I live in Canada so I definitely would want to wax around the fall time before winter comes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Seer

Alright how often should I be doing the other three steps? I live in Canada so I definitely would want to wax around the fall time before winter comes
I'd do step 3 as needed, or as you see fit. I usually wax my car once every 2 weeks, but I enjoy doing it.

I'd say every 3 months do all 3 steps.. then about every 6 months claybar, and do all 3 steps.

When you do step 1, the pre-wax cleaner. It's removing all applications of wax, and cleaning the surface. Just an fyi
Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 PM
infin1t3

I just followed those steps and I have minor swirl marks left over after all the steps and in the right angle in the sun you can see where the wax was applied and the swirl marks from it. Besides that the car is looking amazing and quite a difference in the colour and shine. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get these swirl marks out and what steps i would need to follow. Also I applied it by hand and what I may have done wrong to result in the swirls, I was quite careful with getting and dirt and using new microfiber clothes when applying the 3 steps
Old 05-24-2009, 06:00 AM
gthal

I just followed those steps and I have minor swirl marks left over after all the steps and in the right angle in the sun you can see where the wax was applied and the swirl marks from it. Besides that the car is looking amazing and quite a difference in the colour and shine. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get these swirl marks out and what steps i would need to follow. Also I applied it by hand and what I may have done wrong to result in the swirls, I was quite careful with getting and dirt and using new microfiber clothes when applying the 3 steps
The only practical way to get the swirls out is with a random orbital polisher (Flex or PC) for someone without a lot of experience. That coupled with a good polish (I use Menzerna Power Finish) and it`s quite easy. The result is truly night and day.

Also, I would doubt that the protection from the Mother`s products you are using will last much longer than a month or two. No way it would get you through the rest of the summer let alone a Canadian winter. I would invest in some decent sealant (Zaino, CG, Duragloss, Werkstatt, etc) which should give better durability and protection for the winter. But, nothing other than a good machine polish will get the swirls out IMO.

Last edited by gthal; 05-24-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:16 PM
infin1t3

Alright and I have never used a electric polisher what steps would I need to follow after applying the clay bar and the mothers three steps if I was to do it in the next few days?

And is Menzerna power finish all i would next to get rid of the swirls and slight scratches?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:28 PM
gthal

Alright and I have never used a electric polisher what steps would I need to follow after applying the clay bar and the mothers three steps if I was to do it in the next few days?

And is Menzerna power finish all i would next to get rid of the swirls and slight scratches?
Let me start by saying I AM NO EXPERT and there are others on here who could chime in with better advice. Having said that, the polishing occurs after claying the car. There are various youtube videos on proper polishing technique. It is really quite easy with a Flex or PC 7424. My process is as follows:
  1. Wash car
  2. Clay car with lots of lube
  3. Rewash car
  4. Polish car with favourite polish. This will remove ALL PROTECTION on the car such as previous was and sealant applications. As I said, I use Menzerna Power Finish 203 with a white LCC pad. Works amazing. I apply quite a bit of pressure until the polish is almost broken down and then really lighten up for the final pass to "jewel" the paint (not my term but I read this here). This polish works well on light swirling and finishes to a great glossy shine avoiding the need to a 2 step process.
  5. Wipe down with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water to remove any polish residue.
  6. I would then do the Mothers 3 step system you have or another of your choosing.

As most would likely confirm on this site... 90% of the quality of the final look comes from proper prep before the waxes and glazes. It is the KEY part.

Personally, I use Jeffs Werkstatt Prime via PC to "clean the paint" and provide a base for the sealant, apply Acryllic Jett Trigger as the sealant, and finally apply PS21 carnauba wax as a top coat mainly for looks. There are LOTS of other really great options, I just happen to like this one and have had good success with it.

I would do a little more research on this site, on Autogeek and Detailing Bliss forum. Lots of how to videos, etc. I just read lots, watched the videos and took the plunge... it was easy and the results I have been getting are amazing iMO.

Last edited by gthal; 05-24-2009 at 02:37 PM.