Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Spiders in paint, wash every week. Can bird droppings do this in a week??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM
kallyn247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Spiders in paint, wash every week. Can bird droppings do this in a week??

Hi,
I have recently buffed my car with Menzera super intensive polish, clearcoat ceramic polish and then zaino z5. I then put a coat of 3m wax over everything after washing a day or two later. I notices some spiders before I started. I took the spiders to the dealer and they claimed that it was from bird droppings or industrial fallout which I really couldn't believe. I was the car at least once a week and it spends about 75% of the time in the garage. I then noticed a spot where the dealer washed some bird droppings off of it from the day before. It looked like the drooped bird droppings had attacked the paint again. What can I do to keep this from happening besides washing everyday and leaving it in a bubble. I mean common, is their any recalls on bad paint or anything. The color is BO and I know it is hard to keep clean and scratch free but this is really kinda rediculous. Any input can help. Also what can I do to the current spots to keep them from growing, especially the newest one. It is the biggest.
Kevin
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Well first off the first mistake you made was taking it too the dealer. NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER EVER TAKE IT TO THE DEALER FOR ANY DETAILING. You'd be better off letting a 3 year old operate a buffer on your car.

Next you need to wash the vehicle properly. Just slapping any wax on it will not do the job. A proper wash consists of two five gallon buckets one for car soap suds such as Chemical Guys Maxi Suds and the other your mitt rinsing bucket filled only with water. The other things you need are two or more Sheepskin Wash Mitts, and two Grit Guard Inserts in the bottom of each five gallon bucket. What the Grit Guard Insert will do is catch any grit in your wash mitt and trap it in the the bottom of the bucket. This is exactly why you have swirl marks cause your probably gliding the grit caught in your wash medium across the paint and wouldn't know it.

Next you want to clay bar your paint to properly prep it for sealant and wax. What claying will do is remove any contamination embedded in the paint that normal washing doesn't remove. What I recommend is the Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar You also want to invest in a good clay lube such as Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe to help glide the clay bar across the paint without causing any swirls or marring.

Next you want to polish the paint. But before I start may I ask what kind of buffer are you using? Are you doing it by hand or machine?

Anyways after polishing normally you'd want to follow up with a sealant such as Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109. If your doing it by hand use something paint safe to apply it with such as the Lake County Red Foam Applicator pad. It would be best to let the sealant cure for atleast 24 hours. Sealants last anywhere from 3-6 months compared to waxes.

After applying the sealant next you'd want to follow up with a good quality wax for extra protection and shine. Since you have a Black Obsidian color the best wax to use would be Dodo juice Blue Velvet Hard Wax. Also applying this with a Lake County Red Foam Applicator Pad would be a good idea too. Allow the wax to cure for atleast 12-24 hours too. Waxes typically last anywhere from 2-8 weeks.

If you have any other questions let me know
Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 AM
kallyn247

I know about the dealers. I read all the post about the dealer and how bad they are. I took it in for some maintenance and had them look at the spots that were there. They never buffed on it at all, just said it wasn't their fault or anything to do with the warrenty. When they called me to pic it up they said they needed to rewash it, and I told them to leave it alone. I have also been using the sheepskin mitt and the grates from Detailed Image and I forgot to mention I did claybar before I started buffing. It looked good, most scratches were gone and everything else. Just have problem with the paint being damaged by what appears to be birds. I will look into your advice and hopefully this will help me protect it.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:33 AM
KLB

You should post some pics of the spots
Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM
kallyn247

Here they are......
Attached Thumbnails Spiders in paint, wash every week.  Can bird droppings do this in a week??-img_0809.jpg   Spiders in paint, wash every week.  Can bird droppings do this in a week??-img_0806.jpg   Spiders in paint, wash every week.  Can bird droppings do this in a week??-img_0808.jpg   Spiders in paint, wash every week.  Can bird droppings do this in a week??-img_0807.jpg  
Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Try to post some in focus higher resolution pictures if possible. Illmatic's post was dead on. However, with those bird droppings on BO you may need to do a little bit more, I know because I had some. Yes, our paint is horrendously fragile and BO shows it the worst by far.

Here's mine before correction:
Name:  0c04863e.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  93.5 KB
This is how it looked after washing it and using several products by hand (you can see the damage inflicted using various polishes by hand on the soft clear coat). It's hard to see from the photo but it was etched deeply into the clear. It had only been on the paint less than 4 hours but was baking in the sun and the bird apparently had eaten sulfuric acid for breakfast.

The way I finally got it out was by claying and then compounding heavily using Menzerna Power Gloss and following that up by polishing the hell out of it with SIP, then PO106FF. There was still some damage there but not much. The next full detail I performed I was able to get about 99% of it out using the Flex which has much more cutting power. If you can do it or want to take it to a true professional detailer, wet sanding may be the best way to get that out.

Good luck and be sure to post what you decide to do and your results.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

From looking at those pictures it looks like they've etched into the clearcoat. What I would do is try a a clay bar first to remove it. If that doesn't work I'd recommend investing in a buffer and using some cutting compound on it. It's happened to me before and I was able to get rid of it, but not on my G cause of the self healing clearcoat but on someone else's. Be sure to invest in a quick detailer that way when this happens next time you can remove it right away. Remember bird dropping are very acidic.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Remo101

The 3rd pic that Kallyn247 put up freaks me out. Look at the top of the picture, there is a total face in the glare. Your garrage is haunted!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:50 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Originally Posted by Remo101
The 3rd pic that Kallyn247 put up freaks me out. Look at the top of the picture, there is a total face in the glare. Your garrage is haunted!
lmao the funny thing is I actually see what your talking about. Damn creepy!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 PM
'TardPatrol
Banned

Color sand > rubbing compound> polish> sealant> wax.
Take it to a pro to be safe.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:51 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Remo101

I see the face too. He definitely needs to call ghost hunters. Lol. Either his garage is haunted or the ghost wants his car back.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Stems

Seeing stuff like this about BO makes me scared since mine is going to arrive in another 10 days I'll be babying it for sure!

Also, I see the face in the third picture too
Old 05-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Wink

Well I got some bird crap on my passenger side door and C pillar and it is leaving stains even though I wiped it off ASAP with quick detailer . I'll probably clean it up using the method I outlined above on Sunday or Monday. I'll take step by step pics of results.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 PM
kallyn247

That would be great. Cant wait to see how much work some bird droppings can cause.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys think thats bad? Two-three weeks after i took delivery of my car a bunch of birds decided that the tree 5 feet away from my car would be the perfect place to raise a family.. everyday i was treated to bird crap all over my car.. i have some good stains on the car.. i need to get someone to detail the car now

Quick Reply: Spiders in paint, wash every week. Can bird droppings do this in a week??