Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Scratch shield clear coat and polishing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 AM
gthal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch shield clear coat and polishing

I searched and could not find anything conclusive on this...

Has anyone polished their 2009 G yet? I have Menzerna Power Finish and a PC 7424. I just finished the wife's SUV with great results. There are rumours that you cannot polish the scratch shield clear coats on the G but I can't find anything conclusive. If you can't polish, what about an AIO cleaner (like Werkstat Prime) applied via PC? Is this bad too? What about decontamination kits from FK1 and clay bars?

If anyone has polished a 2009 G without destroying it, please chime in .

Last edited by gthal; 05-17-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Do not polish scratchshield paint. I repeat do not polish scratchshield paint.

You can glaze seal and wax still. Just do it by hand like what I do. I would never ever use my PC on my 09 G. Maybe I'm just ****? I still wouldn't do it.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 AM
gthal

Originally Posted by iLlmAtIc21390
Do not polish scratchshield paint. I repeat do not polish scratchshield paint.

You can glaze seal and wax still. Just do it by hand like what I do. I would never ever use my PC on my 09 G. Maybe I'm just ****? I still wouldn't do it.
So do you have any swirls or light scratches that the scratch shield did not fix? There is a 09 BO G37 at the dealer with TONS of swirls... maybe just not hot enough yet for correction

This sucks... I was really looking forward to polishing my car. Even when the car "looks" great without swirls, I always find a good polishing brings out a little extra depth and color.

Any other thoughts out there? Has anyone done this without destroying the clear coat?

Also, would you not use a AIO like Klasse AIO or Werkstat Prime? I would typically apply these with a PC at 3/4 with a black LCC pad... I can't imagine this would do damage
Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
gthal

Well, other than iLlmAtIc21390's comments above (thanks btw ), no one else has thoughts on this?

Is there anything definitive from Infiniti that it should not be done? Will the clear coat just lose its healing properties or do you actually damage the clear coat? I can't imagine the clear coat would be actually damaged because you would expect a LOT of G owners would get their 2009 G's detailed and polished without even considering the Scratch Shield. If it were really bad for the clear coat, you would think Infiniti would have posted warnings everywhere.

Maybe no one has attempted to polish a 2009 G yet... Anyway, if anyone else has info or would like to chime in, please do so.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Keng

I do hand sealant and wax on my 09, no polishing.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
gthal

Originally Posted by Keng
I do hand sealant and wax on my 09, no polishing.
OK... what about and AIO cleaner and sealant? Also, what if you need to polish because there are imperfections that the healing paint do not fix? What about clay bar? Sorry to be annoying with this but I don't understand where the line is with the Scratch Shield paint. It would seem to me that even if it does heal small imperfections, it will need to be cleaned with clay from time to time and there would invariably need to paint correction every now and again.

Last edited by gthal; 05-18-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by gthal
OK... what about and AIO cleaner and sealant? Also, what if you need to polish because there are imperfections that the healing paint do not fix? What about clay bar? Sorry to be annoying with this but I don't understand where the line is with the Scratch Shield paint. It would seem to me that even if it does heal small imperfections, it will need to be cleaned with clay from time to time and there would invariably need to paint correction every now and again.
I've used Optimum's AIO and a fine clay bar on my 09 sedan with great results.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You most certainly can polish the scratch shield paint, and here's how.

Use a Finishing Polish only (Menz 85rd, Zaino ZPC etc), and a Lake Country Green Pad (AIO), or Black Finishing Pad (Finishing), you can even go as drastic as using a Blue pad (Finessing). You let the minor abrasives do the work for you, but it would expedite the "heat as a catalyst" process.

Scratch shield paint is nothing new, PPG has been making it for quite a few years, it can be polished, just not cut or compounded.