Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

So I'm ready for my first car wash...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
sistylez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm ready for my first car wash...

I'll be washing my car for the first time this Friday. I was wondering are there any tips you pro's can give me? The car is an '08 and has been sitting in the dealer lot for over a year, and was wondering if they do detail it as in depth as you guys do? Should I wash @ the house with bucket & sponge as opposed to taking it to a high preassure car wash? What are the basic supplies I need for now to give it that sexy wet girl look lol. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 AM
pfizzle

Just wash it as you would normally wash your other cars. Car soap, soft sponge, shaded area, microfiber dry.

How did the dealer prep your car?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dealers don't actually detail the car. All they really do is wash it down and scratch it up at the same time. If I were you, I'd tell them to give the car to you dirty and then go to your nearest auto parts store and get 2 buckets, a MF Wash Mitt, and some Meguire's Gold Class soap. You want two buckets so that you have one full of clean soapy water, and one with only water. You use the "only water" bucket to rinse out your Mitt prior to dunking it into the soapy water bucket to prevent any kind of crap getting into the soap and onto your car. Our paint is really touchy, so take care of it

You'll most likely need to AT LEAST wax it since our cars come from the dealer with absolutely ZERO paint protection. I would suggest Migliore Original Wax, but it would take 2 days to get it to you after the day you ordered it. It's great wax and it's not too pricey.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
sistylez

I'm not sure how they prepped it? It did look pretty good on the showroom floor though after they brought it in from outside and cleaned it.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out this website for some more "upscale" car detailing products than what you can get a local auto parts stores: www.detailedimage.com

That's where MANY of us on here get our car detailing supplies. There are also online detailing guides. For this weekend, I completely agree with Gamedog's suggestions of the 2 bucket method and Meguire's Gold Class soap. If you're going to do a coat of wax at that time, I'd recommend Meguire's NXT synthetic wax. It's a decent product, and it should last long enough until you can get some better quality sealant or wax (or both) from Detailed Image.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Raizon

Check out the sticky...
https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...your-ride.html

or check out the detailing guides at Detailed Image
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM
sistylez

Thank you guys. I'll probably go pick up the stuff from O'Reilly's during lunch. I would wash it tonight but I have finals! Hopefully my Bat's head light and tail light overlays come in by today! Going to get my car tinted 20% all around and have them apply the overlays at the same time on Friday. Going to wash/wax afterwards because I have a KU graduation to go to and I need to stunt in style
Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM
nikku

Make sure you use a 2 mitts, and two buckets for water and soap. A third bucket, mitt and associated brushes for wheels, wheel wells and tires.

If the vehicle is really dirty i sometimes have another 2 extra buckets for the lower panels.

Glide the mitts lightly over your vehicle. Don't use pressure.

When drying sheet the water off. It will save you time and drying towels

Enjoy the first wash !

Cheers,
Nick
Old 05-14-2009, 11:56 PM
alexdee

Our cars come with no protection from the dealer? Is this a fact or is it just your dealer?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 PM
sistylez

What do you mean by sheeting the water off?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tianh
Our cars come with no protection from the dealer? Is this a fact or is it just your dealer?

Thanks!
do you really want some porter who makes $8/hr detailing your car?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM
RedG37SNC

Up to you on what level you want to take this but if it's fresh from the dealer you will most likely need claying, polishing and selant. Take a look at the finish in direct light and see if you have hazing or is the reflection of the light mirror clear and feel the paint... should feel smooth like glass, if not you need a polish which requires claying to remove contaminates before hand. If you're looking to DIY you'll need to invest $200+ for the equipment and a good amount of research to learn the techniques to polish. The other option is to just take it to a pro detalier and have them do it. Your car will look night and day better and have some protection to boot. Take a look at the detaling section for examples.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Up to you on what level you want to take this but if it's fresh from the dealer you will most likely need claying, polishing and selant. Take a look at the finish in direct light and see if you have hazing or is the reflection of the light mirror clear and feel the paint... should feel smooth like glass, if not you need a polish which requires claying to remove contaminates before hand. If you're looking to DIY you'll need to invest $200+ for the equipment and a good amount of research to learn the techniques to polish. The other option is to just take it to a pro detalier and have them do it. Your car will look night and day better and have some protection to boot. Take a look at the detaling section for examples.
Agreed... but imo investing the money in detailing products is always a good one. For me it's good stress relief, and the satisfaction of accomplishment.

Years ago, I never thought I'd be this obsessed over my cars appearance... now I have waxes that are over $2000 lol. I need help.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:22 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by sistylez
What do you mean by sheeting the water off?
Sheeting the water means you take any nozzle you use off of the hose and let just a stream of hose water run over the surface of the paint, and it should naturally "sheet" off instead of spraying it with a nozzle which will cause the water to bead and makes you spend MUCH more time drying the car. It's a simple great tip to speed up a car wash.