Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Buffer Burn Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Sevoflurane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffer Burn Help

I just had my car detailed and I got a case of buffer burn. Any hints on how to get them out easily? He spent numerous hours on my car, but unfortunately he didin't get it right. What products shall I recommend and what are the steps the get them out?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Buffer Burn Help-buffer-burn-001.jpg   Buffer Burn Help-buffer-burn-006.jpg   Buffer Burn Help-buffer-burn-004.jpg   Buffer Burn Help-buffer-burn-007.jpg  
Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What the? You paid a guy to do that to your car? How much did you get charged?

Use some Menzerna Final Polish II (or any light cutting polisih) and a white pad. Should get rid of the micro-marring.

I can't believe he left the car looking like that
Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Sevoflurane

Originally Posted by Gamedog
What the? You paid a guy to do that to your car? How much did you get charged?

Use some Menzerna Final Polish II (or any light cutting polisih) and a white pad. Should get rid of the micro-marring.

I can't believe he left the car looking like that

Yeah... I'm a bit dissapointed as I treat my car with all the TLC it deserves. I paid $125. It would be perfect if it wasn't for the buffer burn
Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Sevoflurane
Yeah... I'm a bit dissapointed as I treat my car with all the TLC it deserves. I paid $125. It would be perfect if it wasn't for the buffer burn
As a general rule of thumb, you should always ask if a detailer is using a rotary buffer on your paint. Any detailer who charges $125 for polishing probably doesn't know what they are doing and will leave behind swirls, holograms, etc. like you experienced. Most skilled detailers start their buffer work around $250 ~ $350 because they know how easy it is to screw up the paint.

Back to answer your question, following up with a finishing polish, such as the Final Polish II Gamedog mentioned or PO106FA, should take care of the holograms you are seeing. The problem is, they should be applied with a quality buffer and not hand applied. Your best long term solution is to invest in the proper products and tools to do the job right yourself. It will pay for itself in the first couple details you perform, it just takes a good amount of time to do right.

Hope this helps,

George
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
lmulion03

I've been there. unfortunately, not all detailers are created equally. You think they will do a great job because they talk the talk and bombard you (well at least me) with all these fancy terms. Just research that way you understand what he is going to do to the car or maybe you can start doing it yourself too!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
As a general rule of thumb, you should always ask if a detailer is using a rotary buffer on your paint. Any detailer who charges $125 for polishing probably doesn't know what they are doing and will leave behind swirls, holograms, etc. like you experienced. Most skilled detailers start their buffer work around $250 ~ $350 because they know how easy it is to screw up the paint.

Back to answer your question, following up with a finishing polish, such as the Final Polish II Gamedog mentioned or PO106FA, should take care of the holograms you are seeing. The problem is, they should be applied with a quality buffer and not hand applied. Your best long term solution is to invest in the proper products and tools to do the job right yourself. It will pay for itself in the first couple details you perform, it just takes a good amount of time to do right.
Hope this helps,

George
Agreed 10000000%

I got tired of paying people to keep my car lookin mediocre, so I just bought a Cyclo and learned on my own. I love every second of the 6+ hours I spend on polishing my car
Old 05-13-2009, 09:20 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

**** THAT!!!! I would take it back and ask him for a refund or make him fix it.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for a full detail... as soon as that buffer turns on the detailer best be charging $300+... else the quality is gonna be crap
Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
pyctici

Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
**** THAT!!!! I would take it back and ask him for a refund or make him fix it.
word!!! fix it or gimmie my money back, or the part that its gonna cost me to have it fixed
Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 PM
PaPaHoFF

It is unfortunate that you had this happen to you. Unfortunately there are so many hacks out there that the motto "You get what you pay for" comes into play. Although 125 seems like a great price for it to get done, it should also get you thinking why is he doing so much for so little. Good luck with getting this fixed. It looks like holograms and nothing some finishing polishes cant remove but it may require some elbow grease if you do not have access to a buffer.