Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

PC vs Flex Orbital Buffers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC vs Flex Orbital Buffers

I have been considering purchasing a random orbital buffer such as the PC 7424 for quite some time. Now I understand the the Flex is available and may be a better option. I reviewed the comparison on the new and improved Detailed Image website, and as best as I can tell, the Flex has a higher speed, trigger control for the various speeds, and you do not need a backing plate to attach the various pads.

I did notice that the Flex starter is more than a PC starter kit and wanted to know what people's experiences were for those that bought a Flex and is it worth paying more money for it?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by HB4LTHR
I have been considering purchasing a random orbital buffer such as the PC 7424 for quite some time. Now I understand the the Flex is available and may be a better option. I reviewed the comparison on the new and improved Detailed Image website, and as best as I can tell, the Flex has a higher speed, trigger control for the various speeds, and you do not need a backing plate to attach the various pads.

I did notice that the Flex starter is more than a PC starter kit and wanted to know what people's experiences were for those that bought a Flex and is it worth paying more money for it?

Thanks
You hit most of the key points comparing the Flex XC3401VRG and the PC 7424.

I think the Flex is worth the difference in price not only because of the time you are going to save with the Flex, but the level of correction is much higher in a much shorter period of time. The PC will take you twice as long to remove as many imperfections as the Flex. With the PC you'll reach a point where it's difficult to remove deeper imperfections. The Flex on the other hand, has so much more power and a strong motor that you can apply heavy pressure to, you can literally remove almost every imperfection in your paint with the right polish and pad combination.

The one thing the PC has over the Flex is the ability to use smaller backing plates with smaller pads. This can help you get in those tighter areas of the vehicle much easier.

If your budget stretches to the Flex buffer, go for it. It'll also save you from getting the PC, using it a few times, wondering what the Flex can offer and how much time you'll save and buying both buffers. Here's what some of our customers have to say after reviewing the Flex 3401.

Hope this helps!

George
Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Thanks
The Flex is well worth the extra money IMO. There are several threads in this section with users' comparisons including mine. Look through and you'll fund exactly what you are looking for.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

Thanks everyone....looks like the Flex is the way to go.

One final question...for a person that has never used an orbital buffer, would the Flex pose a greater risk to damage your paint because of its higher power? My G's paint is really in good shape so I can't see why I would need the higher speed.......
Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Thanks everyone....looks like the Flex is the way to go.

One final question...for a person that has never used an orbital buffer, would the Flex pose a greater risk to damage your paint because of its higher power? My G's paint is really in good shape so I can't see why I would need the higher speed.......
To cause damage with the Flex you almost have to try to. If you're using an aggressive polish and pad combination, apply 20+ lbs of pressure and go over the same area again and again and again, then you can potentially burn or damage the paint. If you use common sense, tape off your trim, use speed settings around 4~4.5 to start, you'll have just about nothing to worry about.

Enjoy the Flex and more importantly, your new paint!

George
Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

George,
Thanks......I believe I will go withe the Flex...thanks again
Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I love my Flex
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got both a PC and a Flex and I just love the Flex compared to the PC. Without repeating what has already been stated, the Flex is just a more efficient tool to use.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Raizon

How well does the Flex work around smaller and tighter areas since it doesn't have a 4" pad like the Porter Cable has?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

My Flex has two 4" pads. Works ok around smaller areas. Only areas I have a problem with reaching is usually close around the side-view mirrors.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Raizon

Originally Posted by Gamedog
My Flex has two 4" pads. Works ok around smaller areas. Only areas I have a problem with reaching is usually close around the side-view mirrors.
I thought Flex didn't have a 4" backing plate. How you get a 4" pad on it?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Holy moly. Just remembered I don't have a Flex. I have a Cyclo

Wow I feel retarded.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You hit most of the key points comparing the Flex XC3401VRG and the PC 7424.

I think the Flex is worth the difference in price not only because of the time you are going to save with the Flex, but the level of correction is much higher in a much shorter period of time. The PC will take you twice as long to remove as many imperfections as the Flex. With the PC you'll reach a point where it's difficult to remove deeper imperfections. The Flex on the other hand, has so much more power and a strong motor that you can apply heavy pressure to, you can literally remove almost every imperfection in your paint with the right polish and pad combination.

The one thing the PC has over the Flex is the ability to use smaller backing plates with smaller pads. This can help you get in those tighter areas of the vehicle much easier.

If your budget stretches to the Flex buffer, go for it. It'll also save you from getting the PC, using it a few times, wondering what the Flex can offer and how much time you'll save and buying both buffers. Here's what some of our customers have to say after reviewing the Flex 3401.

Hope this helps!

George
So George, when are we having a sale on this?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Raizon

^+1000000000 :bounce:
Old 05-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by n_jay888
So George, when are we having a sale on this?
Originally Posted by Raizon
^+1000000000 :bounce:
Unfortunately, Flex will not allow discounts lower than MAP pricing of $299.99. Check out some of the Flex packages we offer for some good savings.

One of my favorite Flex packages is $80 off (almost 20% off) and includes one of my favorite Menzerna polish combos along with 8 pads (4 pads for each step). The package includes:
You certainly wouldn't be disappointed with that package and includes everything you'd need to remove a majority of imperfections from your paint while finishing to a high level of depth and gloss. It's also our highest discounted Flex package I believe since we never adjusted the price when the Flex went up to $299.99.

Maybe that package is a good fit for your needs. If you want to swap out some of the pads for other colors, I can make that happen too, but I'd advise keeping the 4 of each color for maximum results.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

George

Quick Reply: PC vs Flex Orbital Buffers