Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Car Cover Initial Review - CoverKing StormProof

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 PM
levin91e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Cover Initial Review - CoverKing StormProof

I wanted to get some information out to any owners out there thinking about buying a car cover for their G37. I recently bought a Coverking StormProof car cover from autoanything.com (http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A2016A0A0.aspx). I was hesitant because I never bought one before, and I have seen some pretty hideous looking car covers on other folks cars. The StormProof cover from Coverking is taughted to be the best of the best for outdoor use. So far it does everything they say it will do. It has been subjected to some very heavy winds and rain so far. I am still waiting for summer to come around to see how well it keeps the interior from heating up, and I want to do a test to see how well it blocks out UV. It is pretty amazing to see how the water beeds off of this cover considering how well it breathes at the same time. It was pooring rain and I had the sun roof open, not a drop came through. One item of note is; in heavy winds the cover blew off the front end of my car twice, it didn't come off completely though luckily. I resolved this by putting on the car cover lock and cable that I bought seperately it helped to prevent it from turning into a parachute and letting the front end part of the cover blow off. I should have been using it anyway as I don't want anyone stealing the cover. Other then that so far so good I can't wait to see if it still beads water in a year like it does today. The fit of this cover is great it looks pretty sweet under the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post
Can you post up a pic of the inside lining of the cover?
This cover has no inner lining, it is one layer of material, what you see on the outside is what is on the inside. The one layer it has is very lightweight, and very thin. This makes it really easy to store and is pretty compact when rolled up in the storage bag that I bought for it.

So to your question my answer is no. However if you like i can take a picture of the inside but its nothing special.

Last edited by levin91e; 04-23-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty

+1. What he said.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Whoa thats awesome! How difficult is it to put on/take off on a scale of 1-10?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 PM
splitmx

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
+1. What he said.
+2 lol
Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good, yeah more info please. Im going to get it
Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

One additional word of caution. In a previous life I had a Monte Carlo SS which I used a car cover. In addition to the security cable that comes with the car, there were times when the wind was blowing so hard it would remove the cover and the only thing holding it on was the cable.

To rectify this, I inserted some grommets and with bungees secured the cover even more from the wheel wells to prevent it from flapping like a sail in high wind situations.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just looked it up; its 300 dollars compare to infiniti's car cover for 200.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 PM
levin91e

Originally Posted by Black Betty
This cover has no inner lining, it is one layer of material, what you see on the outside is what is on the inside. The one layer it has is very lightweight, and very thin. This makes it really easy to store and is pretty compact when rolled up in the storage bag that I bought for it.

So to your question my answer is no. However if you like i can take a picture of the inside but its nothing special.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
levin91e

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Whoa thats awesome! How difficult is it to put on/take off on a scale of 1-10?
With no wind it is a "1" to put on. Not very difficult at all. It's easy

With wind have fun by yourself.

I should note that if you are having trouble in the wind and it blows onto the ground (even a little bit) I recommend you don't put it on your car. You don't want dirt to be inbetween the cover and your car. It will chafe and scratch your paint.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
levin91e

Originally Posted by jnguyen
just looked it up; its 300 dollars compare to infiniti's car cover for 200.
CoverKing makes the cover for Infiniti. Also Infiniti sells two different covers for the G coupe Mosom Plus, and Silverguard Plus. http://www.infinitiusa.com/g_sedan/s...cessories.html

In my opinion these two materials are inferior to the Stormproof material. Look on their website to see the differences. Here is the link. http://www.coverking.com/customcarcovers_materials.html

Of course it is possible I was sold snake oil when I bought the cover.

But that is why this is just my initial review I plan to do a long term review at 6 months and a year and further on. But from what I see I like so far.

Pros
1 The cover is cut well, it forms to the cars curves very well.
2 The cover has very little slack, yet is easy to put on.
3 No part of the cover touches the ground when it is on.
4 Beads water off extremely well.
5 Breathes equally well.
6 TBA I want to test for UV protection.
7 TBA I want to test for infrared penetration. HEAT in the car

Cons
1 Seems to blow off pretty easily in gusty winds, with no locking cable on.
2 Difficult to put on without two people when it is marginally windy out.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
KnoxvilleG37

I'm just sitting here thinking of our soft soft soft clear coats....and each time that cover touches the paint....SCRATCH....SCRATCH....SCRATCH. I could be wrong, but knowing our paint, I'd be kinda scared. LOL
Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
levin91e

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
I'm just sitting here thinking of our soft soft soft clear coats....and each time that cover touches the paint....SCRATCH....SCRATCH....SCRATCH. I could be wrong, but knowing our paint, I'd be kinda scared. LOL
I totally agree with you, but if the car is clean and the cover is clean it should not scratch the paint. The bottom line for me is, I don't have a garage to park it in, and my belief is acid rain bird **** and sun beating down on the car will do far worse to the paint then taking the cover on and off all the time ever will.

What do you think?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by levin91e
I totally agree with you, but if the car is clean and the cover is clean it should not scratch the paint. The bottom line for me is, I don't have a garage to park it in, and my belief is acid rain bird **** and sun beating down on the car will do far worse to the paint then taking the cover on and off all the time ever will.

What do you think?

No I agree with the car cover. Bird crap, water spots, oxidation.....all terrible threats to our paint. As long as the car cover doesn't leave hella microscratches all over, then keep that baby covered. I'm really thankful to have something as simple as a garage.....the little things in life we take for granted.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Neal376

had that cover on my black G35. The material is not too soft and it left swirls on my paint every time I put it on or off.

Quick Reply: Car Cover Initial Review - CoverKing StormProof