Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Layering glaze?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Layering glaze?

Is there any appreciable benefit to using multiple layers of glaze before applying a sealant? Any benefit or harm to using 2 different glazes layered on top of one another?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glaze can't be layered really, since they're primarily "pure polishes" and contain mostly oils. So all you really would be doing is swishing product around.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Danase Wet Glaze and other sealant-ready glazes can be layered safely. Just wait about 30 minutes after removing the previous layer to let it set up a bit.

Whether or not you'll notice an "appreicable" difference is speculative at best. Give it a try!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Seer

Originally Posted by finagle69
Danase Wet Glaze and other sealant-ready glazes can be layered safely. Just wait about 30 minutes after removing the previous layer to let it set up a bit.

Whether or not you'll notice an "appreicable" difference is speculative at best. Give it a try!
I think he meant is there a benefit to doing 2+ coats of a glaze. All true glazes are primarily oil, and do not "cure" and do not set up. Their content is typically polishing oils and Kaolin Clay (for filling). It is in my opinion and plenty of pro's out there, it is a waste of time applying multiple applications of a glaze. Kindve like the individuals who feel 30 coats of zaino make a difference. Rule of thumb for that is typically you'll never see a difference between 2-3 and 50.

You'll want to put a layer of protection over a glaze as soon as you apply it.

A neat show car trick a lot of folks use is put the glaze over your protection. The car will look amazing for a day... after that it will begin to wear away.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:48 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seer
I think he meant is there a benefit to doing 2+ coats of a glaze. All true glazes are primarily oil, and do not "cure" and do not set up. Their content is typically polishing oils and Kaolin Clay (for filling). It is in my opinion and plenty of pro's out there, it is a waste of time applying multiple applications of a glaze. Kindve like the individuals who feel 30 coats of zaino make a difference. Rule of thumb for that is typically you'll never see a difference between 2-3 and 50.

You'll want to put a layer of protection over a glaze as soon as you apply it.

A neat show car trick a lot of folks use is put the glaze over your protection. The car will look amazing for a day... after that it will begin to wear away.
That's all true of true glazes for use with waxes. However, those glazes that are made for use with sealants are of a different makeup. they will actually cure to some extent in order to properly bond with the polymers in a sealant. it is for that reason that you could apply another coat of glaze on top.

Proof is in the pudding I suppose. This is from Danase's website here.

Gloss enhancer
Made with acrylic polymers
Bonds to paint and clearcoat
Can be layered
Can be topped with wax or sealant
Can be applied on top of wax or sealant
Most durable glaze you will find
Leaves paint looking dripping wet
Repels dust
Easy to use
Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Seer

Originally Posted by finagle69
That's all true of true glazes for use with waxes. However, those glazes that are made for use with sealants are of a different makeup. they will actually cure to some extent in order to properly bond with the polymers in a sealant. it is for that reason that you could apply another coat of glaze on top.

Proof is in the pudding I suppose. This is from Danase's website here.

Gloss enhancer
Made with acrylic polymers
Bonds to paint and clearcoat
Can be layered
Can be topped with wax or sealant
Can be applied on top of wax or sealant
Most durable glaze you will find
Leaves paint looking dripping wet
Repels dust
Easy to use
Sounds like a marketing gimic to use/buy more product. One of the oldest and most widely used glazes, Meguiars #7 can also be used with Sealants, and it is of the typical oil/kaolin makeup. The term "layer" is the biggest form of market BS in detailing products that I've seen in all my years of this hobby. Only reason people should be applying multiple coats of a sealant or wax is for uniform coverage, and usually only 2-3 coats can accomplish this. The whole "layering for a better look" started with a certain product which I'll leave nameless to promote product usage and to boost sales.

The Danase Wet Glaze (which I've used before) is a lot like Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish. If it's providing protection (which according to your description it is) then it is not a true glaze.

If you like using it great, but I was not impressed with it nor was I with any of the "hybrid" glaze products. Call me a traditionalist.

Back to the OP's point, I guess if you want to use a hybrid product you can stack it all day long till the cows come home, not sure if you'll see the desired result you're looking for. Personally if you're going to use a glaze, I'd use a traditional one. Two that come off at the top of my head are Chemical Guys EZ Creme, and Meguiars #7.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thank you for the replies.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
TimsG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you all think is the best wax on the market for our cars?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by TimsG37s
What do you all think is the best wax on the market for our cars?
There is no "Best Wax". Most look pretty similar to most people. Unless you are made of money, start with something inexpensive like PBW Natty's Blue and try it. If you love it, that's your wax. If you don't try something else. I wouldn't advise you to spend a lot of money on a carnauba wax, to me it's not worth it.

When my sealant cures, I'm about to apply Blackfire Midnight Sun to Black Betty and CG Pete's '53 on my wife's black car to do a little unscientific comparison. In addition to those I've used Migliore Original, Migliore Fruitta, PBW Natty's Blue, and P21S on this car. All are good quality waxes with great results. I am not a guy who's likely to pay over about $80 or so for wax so I can't tell you from personal use how the high dollar stuff looks on my car only on other people's cars that Ive seen. They look good too but not enough to justify the cost for me.

I went on a hill country cruise and there was a red Z06 that looked pretty good so the owner and I talked a bit. He had some of the "elite" wax on it that costs over $500 and it did look good but I got way more compliments on my $30 sealant (no carnauba). Black owns all other colors.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
TimsG37s

Originally Posted by Black Betty
There is no "Best Wax". Most look pretty similar to most people. Unless you are made of money, start with something inexpensive like PBW Natty's Blue and try it. If you love it, that's your wax. If you don't try something else. I wouldn't advise you to spend a lot of money on a carnauba wax, to me it's not worth it.

When my sealant cures, I'm about to apply Blackfire Midnight Sun to Black Betty and CG Pete's '53 on my wife's black car to do a little unscientific comparison. In addition to those I've used Migliore Original, Migliore Fruitta, PBW Natty's Blue, and P21S on this car. All are good quality waxes with great results. I am not a guy who's likely to pay over about $80 or so for wax so I can't tell you from personal use how the high dollar stuff looks on my car only on other people's cars that Ive seen. They look good too but not enough to justify the cost for me.

I went on a hill country cruise and there was a red Z06 that looked pretty good so the owner and I talked a bit. He had some of the "elite" wax on it that costs over $500 and it did look good but I got way more compliments on my $30 sealant (no carnauba). Black owns all other colors.
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I'm not into spending huge amount's of money on wax either. I just want a good quality wax that does a good job. I'll try the one's you suggested and go from there. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Seer

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I'm not into spending huge amount's of money on wax either. I just want a good quality wax that does a good job. I'll try the one's you suggested and go from there. Thanks again.
You won't notice much of a difference between a $50 wax and a $300 wax. You will notice a difference of those waxes vs a $1000-$2500 wax.

I use Swissvax Divine, which is known to be the world's most expensive wax per oz. I have a thread with pictures of it, but you need to see it in person.

Do I recommend it to everyone? Sure if you have $2500 to spare on 16oz of Carnauba wax that will only last 60-70 days tops per coat, and winning car shows is a priority of yours hobby wise.

Do I recommend it to the hobbyist and average-above average detailer. Absolutely not. Pick any $50-$100 Carnauaba wax and be happy with it. Match it with a $30 sealant and you're golden.

When it comes to a car's finish its 90% preparation (polishing etc), 10% Last Step Product.

I do say this, don't cheap out on a carnauba, and get the pep boys special... spend a little, its a big difference from the over the counter stuff vs the $50-$100 boutique stuff.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:27 PM
TimsG37s

I'm sure that the $2,500 wax is the best stuff out there but I have quite a few other things I'd rather spend $2,500 on. If your main hobby is entering your car in shows then I could see why you would want that wax. I love my G but it's just my personal everyday driver so I think the $50-$100 wax is perfect for me.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Seer

I'm sure that the $2,500 wax is the best stuff out there but I have quite a few other things I'd rather spend $2,500 on. If your main hobby is entering your car in shows then I could see why you would want that wax. I love my G but it's just my personal everyday driver so I think the $50-$100 wax is perfect for me.

which is why a $50-100 wax is great for someone like you. Pretty much any recommendation you'll get on this site will be worth while.

Chemical Guys Pete's 53
Pinnacle Souveran
Victoria Concours Red
P21S 100% Carnauba (would be my choice in this price point)

Are just a few to name. Don't forget to add a good sealant underneath the wax too though. So you're looking at $30-40 there too.

Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 (great sealant, durability is low though)
Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 (best sealant I ever used)
Zaino Z2 (great for light cars)
Zaino Z5 (good for dark)

Are another few.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

You can easily afford a sample pot of the dodo juice wax on detailedimage.com

You can get the 30ML sample pot for $14 and gives around 3-5 coats, or you can spend $69 for the 250ML pot that gives alot more coats.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by iLlmAtIc21390
You can easily afford a sample pot of the dodo juice wax on detailedimage.com

You can get the 30ML sample pot for $14 and gives around 3-5 coats, or you can spend $69 for the 250ML pot that gives alot more coats.
Yes, I saw that the 1oz Dodo Juice samples were added yesterday including the Supernatural. No way I would consider paying $200 or even $130 for it, but for $30 I'll try it. I might give them a try in the "single serving size". I like to try different products and often I end up using them once or twice and then they just sit in my cabinet.

Quick Reply: Help Layering glaze?