Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Michelangelo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do first?

Wow, there is a lot of great info in this forum...but it's almost overwhelming!

I picked up my G37x yesterday, Black Obsidian with Stone interior. My question is, what should I do FIRST as far as cleaning/protecting the finish?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
What I'd recommend on a new BO colored car is to first invest in a quality washing and drying setup. Improper washing and drying or using low quality wash tools is the primary cause of adding swirls and other imperfections in the paint which show up very easily on black colored vehicles.

To get started, you'll want to go with:
- 2x 5 gallon wash buckets (found locally at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.)
- 2~3x Quality wash mitts (typically, I'll use one for the top panels that don't get as dirty, one for bumpers and lower panels and one for my wheels and tires)
- 2x Waffle weave drying towels
- 1x Grit Guard bucket insert for the bottom of your rinse bucket
- 1x Quality automotive shampoo, I like Maxi Suds II for maintenance

I'd recommend following our washing and drying guide to wash properly and minimize adding imperfections in your paint.

Run your hand across your paint, if you feel bumps or rough spots, then you can benefit from using a clay bar on your paint. Using a clay bar will remove embedded contamination that is not removed from a normal wash. On new vehicles, rail dust and industrial fallout is pretty common, especially if your car traveled via train at all. If you want to clay your vehicle, I'd suggest the Clay Magic Fine Grade clay bar paired up with some Poorboy's Spray & Wipe as your clay bar lubricant. Here's our clay bar guide you can follow for step-by-step instructions. After using a clay bar your paint should be as smooth as glass and it also properly preps the surface for protecting the paint.

I like using a glaze on new paint when you don't need to polish using abrasive products. This will help enhance the gloss and depth of the paint and give your sealant or wax a good surface to bond to. I'd suggest Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze if you plan on using a sealant to protect your paint.

I chose the EZ Creme Glaze above because it works well with sealants. If you want to keep it with Chemical Guys products, M-Seal and Jet Seal 109 are two outstanding sealants to go with. M-Seal bang for the buck is one of my favorite sealants to use and looks great on all colors. Jet Seal 109 is one of the best looking sealants I've used, giving you more of a carnauba wax look in terms of depth and gloss, but the protection of a sealant.

You can take things one step further and top the sealant layer with a coat or two of carnauba wax. The difference is sealants typically last 3 - 6 months, where a carnauba wax lasts about 4 - 8 weeks. Gloss and depth is typically higher on a carnauba wax, but you give up the durability to get that. Many detailers and enthusiasts will apply a coat of sealant first, then top it with a wax to get the best of both worlds. For optimal results, you want to give your sealant layer 24 hours to fully cure and properly bond to the paint before putting a wax on top. If you want any suggestions on a wax just say the word.

For your interior, a great 1 step product I recommend for new vehicles is Optimum Protectant Plus. It cleans and UV protects leather, vinyl, rubber and plastic. This will help prevent UV fading and it offers a nice matte finish. Simply mist a little into a microfiber towel and wipe the surface clean. Follow up with a clean / dry side of the towel or a fresh towel to ensure there is 0 streaking.

For your wheels, especially on a new car, if you start using Poorboy's Wheel Sealant from the get go, you'll make your life significantly easier maintaining your wheels. It will put a layer of protection on your wheels that brake dust has a difficult time sticking to and you'll be able to wash them clean with just soap and water, rather than using a wheel cleaner.

Enjoy your new G37, if you have any questions on anything I mentioned, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

George
Old 03-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Michelangelo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info--I want to get it started right so it keeps looking great as long as I have the car.