Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Flex or PC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flex or PC?

I seriously need a buffer. What's better a Flex or a Porter cable?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:47 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd recommend a Flex if you've got the cash.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
how are they different? One buff better or something? cause i was getting the PC 7424 since im a beginner
Old 03-17-2009, 06:58 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by jnguyen
how are they different? One buff better or something? cause i was getting the PC 7424 since im a beginner
I heard people say the Flex is better but I don't know how either..
Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
the only reason i didn't go into it is because it's been asked. see this thread

https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...al-buffer.html

my opinions as well as others are in it.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
jnguyen

thanks finagle
Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Thanks, Looks like the Flex is on my save up list as well with a bunch of other goodies.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1, definitely get the Flex if you can spare the extra money over the PC. I own both and it's a huge difference in cutting power between the two.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Take a look at this video to help you decide. It's really a no brainier as far as ability of the 2 machines, it's simply a matter of a huge difference in cost. The Flex costs more than twice as much as the PC. I sold my PC last week in order to move up to a flex. Should have it in a few days.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yht1uHJLNlQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e 9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yht1uHJLNlQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e 9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 PM
jnguyen

which one would be better for a newbie like myself. i mean i would rather get the flex if people say its better but i dont want screw up my paint.

also in the video. what is 50/50 water alcohol. 50 percent water and 50 percent rubbing alcohol?

Last edited by jnguyen; 03-17-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Take a look at this video to help you decide. It's really a no brainier as far as ability of the 2 machines, it's simply a matter of a huge difference in cost. The Flex costs more than twice as much as the PC. I sold my PC last week in order to move up to a flex. Should have it in a few days.
Good stuff BB, you're gonna love the Flex!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by jnguyen
which one would be better for a newbie like myself. i mean i would rather get the flex if people say its better but i dont want screw up my paint.

also in the video. what is 50/50 water alcohol. 50 percent water and 50 percent rubbing alcohol?
Both the Flex and the PC are very easy to use. Since they are both random orbital polishers, you really don't have to worry about them damaging your paint. A rotary on the hand is a different story if you don't know what you are doing.

Regarding the 50/50 mix, it's just water and isopropyl (or simply rubbing alcohol).
Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Both the Flex and the PC are very easy to use. Since they are both random orbital polishers, you really don't have to worry about them damaging your paint. A rotary on the hand is a different story if you don't know what you are doing.

Regarding the 50/50 mix, it's just water and isopropyl (or simply rubbing alcohol).
alright thanks. I guess i just get the Flex instead Pc then since they both easy to use
Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Mini Review: Flex 3401 VRG

I said I'd post up when I had a chance to try out the Flex. I didn't see a need to start a new thread so I'm posting here so that it may help a person searching this issue.

I had the PC since last June and it is worlds better than anything you can do by hand no matter how much time or effort you put into it. It is a good tool if you are polishing by hand or on a tight budget and want your car to look much better. I really enjoyed the results I got from it when I had one.

That being said, I will now quote my friend finagle69 from another thread:
I have a Flex now, and it blows the PC out of the water.
'Tis true.

Why is it world better? It feels much more solid. It delivers significantly better results. It does it in less time.

I polished pretty comprehensively about 8 months ago and have done my best to preserve the finish by proper washing and drying. The entire car wasn't in need of a lot of correction, but could use a single step polish. I used a cutting polish on just a few scratches and problem areas and a finishing polish on the entire car. I was able to get more correction with a finishing polish on a white pad using the Flex than I could get with a cutting polish using an orange pad with the PC! It was quicker getting results as well, the polish broke down much faster and easier and seemed to give me more time correcting with the polish then with the PC where I spent more time breaking the polish down before it was doing any real correction. Dusting wasn't an issue because the polish broke down so quickly and was completely worked before it dried out. Minor scratches and spider webs disappeared much quicker and with less physical effort using the Flex. The machine truly does more of the work than when using the PC.

I polished/glazed/sealed Betty with the Flex this week (no wax yet) and went on a hill country cruise today with a couple of friends from g35driver and a bunch of other various cars from Z06s to Vipers, to Mustangs, to a Cobalt. I got tons of compliments and comments on my finish and I wasn't even finished with it yet (letting the sealant cure). I am extremely satisfied with my decision to sell the PC and move up to the Flex.

Pros of Flex vs PC:
  • Better quality of construction and "feel"
  • More comfortable hand position and even pressure on pad when working
  • Variable speed locking trigger
  • More thorough correction
  • Quicker correction with less muscle needed
  • About the same amount of noise but more "gear moving" noise than "rattling noise" like on the PC
  • Bigger orbits/forced rotation correct easier and faster
  • Less dusting due to quicker breakdown

Cons of Flex vs PC:
  • Initial cost is 2.5X as much
  • Motor gets slightly hotter (is it in my head?)
  • Requires more diligent attention to control properly without it "walking" (not more muscle, more brain)
  • No 4" plate yet for spot correction

Is the Flex significantly better than the PC? Without question. Is it a better choice even considering the much higher cost? Absolutely! My only regret is being a cheap-*** and not getting is sooner. Thanks to George at Detailed Image for the advice and help and to all the detailers, pro and enthusiast, who've helped as well.

Porter Cable 7424
Flex 3401 VRG
Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Triple_X

^^ awesome review. thanks! I was about to order the PC, since I've never owned one and it's relatively cheap but now I may just wait and get the flex.

Quick Reply: Flex or PC?