Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Flex or PC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Loi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sold my PC to upgrade to a Flex. the Flex does have a lot more pwoer and requires some skills to handle. The PC was very easy to control.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never used a flex. But I love my PC, does take me about 2 hrs to do my car. But looks great and gets all the swirls out. Then again paint is new and near perfect
Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

I'm going to be ordering myself a PC from detailed image soon too. But it will only serve a purpose of putting on wax and such but no polish since I have scratch shield paint and have no swirls or scratches at all. The flex would be useless for me as serious paint correction on scratchshield paint would worry me alot. I'll stick with getting a PC
Old 04-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flex is the closest thing you'll get to rotary correction and speed, but with the added orbital safety.

Note, I said the closest... still not as potent as a rotary.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't overlook the Meguiar's

For those about to buy the Porter Cable, don't overlook the Meguiar's. I was all set to buy the Porter Cable. A detailer suggested I look at the Meguiar's. It seemed to meet my needs better than the Porter Cable. I really like the central handle instead of the Porter Cable side handle. I've had it for a year, use it every month to apply and remove wax, and haven't had any problems. It works good for me.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont use the side handle at all. Just grip above the motor. The PC is great for starting out. Cheap and easy to use.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
iLlmAtIc21390

Originally Posted by notalk
For those about to buy the Porter Cable, don't overlook the Meguiar's. I was all set to buy the Porter Cable. A detailer suggested I look at the Meguiar's. It seemed to meet my needs better than the Porter Cable. I really like the central handle instead of the Porter Cable side handle. I've had it for a year, use it every month to apply and remove wax, and haven't had any problems. It works good for me.
And thats about as good as it will ever be for. Over the counter buffers seem to only be good for apply wax and removing it. But when it comes to serious paint correction with polish they just fail in that area. They don't spin fast enough to produce enough heat to fully break down the polish on the paint.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by iLlmAtIc21390
I'm going to be ordering myself a PC from detailed image soon too. But it will only serve a purpose of putting on wax and such but no polish since I have scratch shield paint and have no swirls or scratches at all. The flex would be useless for me as serious paint correction on scratchshield paint would worry me alot. I'll stick with getting a PC
I have a ton of swirls on my trunk, but then again I haven't checked to see if it corrected itself, although weather has been crappy here.

So using a polish or swirl remover with a buffer on the 09's is a no-go?? I already have polish and was about to order a clay bar and some other stuff to correct some swirls...
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
iLlmAtIc21390

Originally Posted by Triple_X
I have a ton of swirls on my trunk, but then again I haven't checked to see if it corrected itself, although weather has been crappy here.

So using a polish or swirl remover with a buffer on the 09's is a no-go?? I already have polish and was about to order a clay bar and some other stuff to correct some swirls...
I don't really know what to tell you about that. It really depends on the person I guess. I don't feel secure using polish on a buffer on scratchshield paint. But then again I haven't even found a need to even use polish on it since most scratches I get go away in a week or so. See this is the thing, I heard it works best out in direct hot sun light. We had the trees cut down in the front of the house and now have direct sunlight beating down on the driveway which is where I keep my G parked.

I think I mentioned this is another thread before but I let my mom drive mine before and when she pushed the iKey button on the door handle, her rings on her hand scratched the fuuck out of the paint behind the door handle from rubbing up against it. Need I remind you my paint color is BO, meaning scratches show up real easy on it. I waited a week and the scratches where all gone. It was parked out in the sunlight all week BTW. So I'm guessing it worked properly but took longer for the paint to "re-heal" it'self. Infiniti say a few days, but it really took like a week or so. I also might like to add that the dealer wash it twice after telling them not to and it's been through the car wash once (I was desperate). I got some serious swirls and all was well in two weeks at the most.

Anyways with that said, I still do paint protection. While scratchshield paint helps in scratches it still does not protect you from tree sap, road grime, rock chips or whatever else. I still clay bar, glaze, seal, and wax with proper washing. Two 5 gallon buckets of Poorboys super slick suds, two grit guards, and 2+ sheepskin wash mits. Another point I'd like to add is that while sratchshield paint removes scratches and swirls, you still want a really damn good shine which is why you still should continue with proper detailing (excluding the polish).
Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Triple_X

^^ thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it. I guess I will sell my polish, save money on a buffer and buy a claybar. I have poorboys wax already which I will apply by hand when the weather permits. Might look into a glaze as well. I want that wet look

oh what glaze do you use?

I'm looking to use a claybar, glaze and poorboys wax to try to get that shine.

and I'm confused..is menzerna FMJ a polish? Or is it ok to apply by hand on the self healing paint? Sorry for the noob questions. Never did much more than a basic wash and wax with other cars...

Last edited by Triple_X; 04-06-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Originally Posted by Triple_X
^^ thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it. I guess I will sell my polish, save money on a buffer and buy a claybar. I have poorboys wax already which I will apply by hand when the weather permits. Might look into a glaze as well. I want that wet look

oh what glaze do you use?

I'm looking to use a claybar, glaze and poorboys wax to try to get that shine.
No problem!

I'm not telling to not use the polish, it's just I wouldn't feel safe using it on scratchshield paint. Especially a heavy cutting polish and pad. But it's all on you man . I wish I had like a spare hood or something with scratchshield to test it on. It seems as though the people I know haven't had the ***** to test it out yet lol .

As for glaze this is what you want:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...Shine-II-P192/
Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by iLlmAtIc21390
No problem!

I'm not telling to not use the polish, it's just I wouldn't feel safe using it on scratchshield paint. Especially a heavy cutting polish and pad. But it's all on you man . I wish I had like a spare hood or something with scratchshield to test it on. It seems as though the people I know haven't had the ***** to test it out yet lol .

As for glaze this is what you want:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...Shine-II-P192/
thanks! yea I am also very hesitant to be the guinea pig with the polish, and if it's not really needed why waste the time/effort and cash.

one more thing, how about menzerna FMJ? I purchased it a while ago and was thinking of selling or trading it unless it is usable?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Raizon

I found 2 other Flex models other than the XC3401. Are these any good?

FLEX LK603VVB
FLEX L3403
Old 04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
lmulion03

"However, the magic only works once -- the coating can't repair itself in the same place twice. "

I read this on another site that had info on the scratch shield. Is this true? how long does this scatch shield paint last?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Raizon
I found 2 other Flex models other than the XC3401. Are these any good?

FLEX LK603VVB
FLEX L3403
Those are not random orbitals, they are rotary. They are for people who really know what they are doing, not for most of us.

Quick Reply: Flex or PC?