Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

f'n bird droppings man!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 AM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f'n bird droppings man!

What the F***, is there anything you can protect the car with better than a sealant that will protect from bird droppings for at least 8 hours!?

I have Blackfire on there now, but I found some bird droppings that hit the car in the morning, and by the end of the work day they had marred my clear. God this paint sucks *** on this car. The car is even in the garage all day, so it wasn't even sun baked in!!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 AM
BiskitG37

Did you try some quick detailer spray on it? That works when it happens to my G. Claybar if there is some residual left.

Totally agree with you - this paint sucks.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Yep. bird dropping marks in my paint even after a claybar. I think the only way to stop it is to get a car cover.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Bird Excrement
(Or insect excrement like Gypsy moth, June bug, Honeybees, etc) contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid (pH 3.0-4.5) which if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent ‘clouded’ area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces) Heat (vehicle paint temperature of 90oF+) creates a very aggressive reactivity of the acids that are present, which causes surface etching, so they should be removed without delay, at lower temperatures (40oF or less) there s no reactivity and therefore little or no etching.

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement (Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable Carnauba wax product) but this may only provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface

Birds use gravel to help digest their food so grit and sand are some of the major components, which can cause scratching. Insect honeydew (sometimes mistaken for tree resin) excreted by aphids or scale insects that infest the leaves and branches is also acidic. Residue should be removed (see below) as soon as possible as it could compromise the clear coat.

Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed and/or neutralized as quickly as possible. Using an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) no ammonia based (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) glass cleaner or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (Purell®) place a small amount on to a first aid gauze pad and apply to effected area this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time.

The alcohol content acts as a drying agent, which will extract the acid, then thoroughly flush with water to rinse away any grit or sand, etc or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry.

Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain either carnauba wax or polymer sealants, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated .If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be leveled with a suitable polish (Zaino PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleanser and then apply a paint protection).

Do not scrub hardened/dried excrement residue as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface, once they are softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface
If the paint can be rectified by chemical means (e.g. acid, concrete, water spotting, etc.) then this is the answer; not abrasive cleaning. Using the correct chemical cleaners will dissolve the contaminants rather than abrading the paint.

The paint system is porous; when you add water and heat to an acidic substance it will erode the paint system very quickly (the heat opens microscopic fissures in the clear coat allowing ingress, the water provides a carrier system for the acid, and heat acts as a catalyst each time water is reintroduced the acid will be reactivated). The paint surface should be periodically neutralized / decontaminated (See also Reactivity)

Product specific - Automotive International - A, B C Decontamination / Neutralization wash system

Information resource

Automotive Detailing Inside & Out; a Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist– by Jon Miller

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved
Detailing Articles
This is one of is one of a series of unbiased and informative, knowledge based, subject specific articles, which are dedicated to the automotive detailing enthusiast or professional detailer in search of development and further education

Copyright Protection and intellectual property rights-© This work is registered with the UK Copyright Service that supports international copyright protection by securing independent evidence that will help prove originality and ownership in any future claims or disputes.

All original material is copyright, unless otherwise state (1) it may be copied and distributed for non-commercial purposes only provided that you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the original material, (2) the information is copied in full with no changes unless prior written agreement is obtained from TOGWT, and a reference to © TOGWT ™ is included, any unauthorized use of these materials may violate copyrights and/or trademark. Be aware these files have been digitally watermarked and actually contain embedded copyright information; so they can be traced to any website on the internet if needed in a legal confrontation
Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
vINCe_Inc

chit.
i've left mine on for ages. =\
Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too am a victim of bird do-do......
Old 03-01-2009, 04:12 PM
aznutx

as i believe an eye for an eye. the only fair way to deal with this, is to put ur own dropping on the bird's baby, given it's not huge and will kill the baby bird by the weight of the sheer giant loaf, i feel it's as fair as can be
Old 03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aznutx
as i believe an eye for an eye. The only fair way to deal with this, is to put ur own dropping on the bird's baby, given it's not huge and will kill the baby bird by the weight of the sheer giant loaf, i feel it's as fair as can be
lmao!