Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Attn Detailers: How much cleaning is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 AM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn Detailers: How much cleaning is too much?

So this came as a surprise to me. I'm downstairs in my condo cleaning and my neighbour parks close to me, notices my ride and then comments on how I'm detailing my G. I was using:

1) ONR w/ sheepskin mit (2 bucket method), wiped with 1 MF towel and then used another MF towel to give it that good dry buff
2) Duragloss Aquawax 951 (it's one of those quick spray waxes)

Apparently, he's a detailer and said that I shouldn't use ONR once a week as I had originally planned to clean the car. He says that's too much cleaning and it'll cause swirls. He says that I should use a sealant, but isn't that bad for the scratch resistant paint on the '09 G37 coupe? When I bought the car, I paid over $200 to the dealership and they put some sort of sealant or whatever on the car. The dealership said it's supposed to act as some type of adhesive, blah blah.

My question:

1) Is it bad to use ONR every weekend, considering I live in Toronto and it snows A LOT here.

It sucked for me to hear that, because he pretty much said that I'm just better to buy a winter beater and only drive this thing in the summer time, but I bought the G cause I wanna ride it all the time.

Any thoughts/feedback/comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Dan1

First rule, ever let the dealership touch the car. That includes simple washes, nothing.

You're going to hear people say using ONR doesnt cause swirls, some may say it does. It depends how much dirt is on the car. Obviously the more dirt, the more chance of marring the paint. You need to be smart about using ONR. Either way, the more you touch the paint, the higher the chances of marring and swirling it.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Like Dan said, the more you wash the car...the more chance of swirls. The simple fact is that you're touching the paint more often.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Don@Migliore
Like Dan said, the more you wash the car...the more chance of swirls. The simple fact is that you're touching the paint more often.
+1, if you are getting a crazy amount of snow, I wouldnt wash the car all the time. Keep a good layer of wax and wash the salt off the car. I wouldnt wash the car more than once a week.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by TomG37
+1, if you are getting a crazy amount of snow, I wouldnt wash the car all the time. Keep a good layer of wax and wash the salt off the car. I wouldnt wash the car more than once a week.
Thanks for the response guys. So if I put this layer of wax on the car, you're saying not to wash the car more than once per week, which is cool with me. Do you think that I should use ONR to clean it or just simple take it to a basic touchless car wash and select the basic soap + water wash? Which one is better?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I wash weekly... Normally on the weekend. Reducing swirls is all about perfecting your wash techniques.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Dan1

Originally Posted by Blackjack
I wash weekly... Normally on the weekend. Reducing swirls is all about perfecting your wash techniques.
True, but the paint can get to a point where its so dirty that washing with ONR is going to marr it.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan1
True, but the paint can get to a point where its so dirty that washing with ONR is going to marr it.
I concur. ONR should not be used on excessively dirty cars.