Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Water spot on black car

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water spot on black car

Need some advice on preventing water spots.

I use Meguires Gold Class car wash and Poorboys wax (blue color), and I washed my car (two bucket style) at 9 am in the moring yesterday. The temp was about 57 degrees and the sun was early rising in the sky. When I washed I started at the top and worked my way down, and all along spraying the car down continually so as not to let the car dry. Then I quickly went around and dried the car. But no matter what I did the car came out looking like a kid full of acne - water spots everywhere, millions of them - baked in too. I tried rewashing small areas real quick and drying with microfiber but the spots did not come out.

The other problem I have is that where I was is on the southe side of the house so there will always be sun hitting the car.

What is the best method (perferably the most gentle) of removing water spots and which is the best wax and sope to prevent?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
micro fiber towel + Meguiars quick detailer (Dark red bottle or the black bottle), sells at your local pepboys. Great product if you want to brighten up the front end of your car really quick with out a wash.

spray it on, wipe it off

try to stay out of the sunlight while doing this, cause it might just leave streaks.

Last edited by Retromoe; 12-30-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water sheeting the car instead of spraying helps, but not perfect.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Heat

Your car prob has water spots from the last time you washed and didnt dry it in time or it rained. I would suggest clay baring it (a light polish might get them out). And to prevent water spots in the future, you need to seal it and wax it.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

To avoid water spots on Black you need to be dracula and not bring your car anywhere near the sun during washes. I don't care how fast your little arms can move; you will get water spots if you wash under sunlight. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Heat

^True, especially in Texas. I like to wash my car late at night with lights. And mine isnt even an OB.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have BO and they were difficult to get off without a full polish. Then I got some CG Water Spot Remover. Problem solved. It works great.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
GNLuver

Hey BB,
What is the procedure you use with the Waterspot remover. I use a yellow pad from DI and go over the area. I then rinse very well immediately following. Do you find you have to repeat to get the spots out?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have BO and they were difficult to get off without a full polish. Then I got some CG Water Spot Remover. Problem solved. It works great.
Does this strip sealant and wax?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
They will come off easier when the wheather gets colder. Mcguires Paint Cleaner can otherwise be a good friend of yours, along with elbow grease. You will need to reapply wax following use however.

Meanwhile keep it waxed really good to minimize the possibility of water spots baking in. I woul dsuggest Zaino.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
don't wash in the sun or buy a car shade
Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM
last lemming

I actually bought this but is seem so chemically intense and after trying to use it on my shower door I found it difficult to use. Whats the procedure to applying it and removing it. I mean, if you remove it by washing arnt you prone to creating more water spots?

And finally how safe for clear coats and do you have to rewax?

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Old 12-30-2008, 03:36 PM
last lemming

the other thing I'm not clear on after reading the directions is:

1. how long can you leave it on a clear coat and still be easy to remove;

2. the direction litterally say to apply it to a 2x2" (its a typo) area. Now do they mean a 2'x2' or 2"x2" - big difference ya see.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If my entire car was covered in water spots, I'd just polish the whole car with a finishing polish or a cleaner wax. In fact that's what I did. I used this when the spots aren't all over. I treated a small area at a time about 1'. I put the spot removed on a damp MF and wiped until they were gone. Then I wiped it down with a clean damp MF. I sprayed it with detail spray and wiped it off.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:13 PM
last lemming

ultimately I used Mensurna 106ff and a 4" orange before they came off. The spots had only "cooked" in the morning sun for less than an hour to get this baked in.

Does leaving the CG on longer let it work better. I went outside a few minutes ago an gave the CG a try on a 2" x 2" area and it took a lot of it off but there were still some visible remnants.

Quick Reply: Water spot on black car