Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Water spot on black car

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ERM
To remove use distilled vinegar. Put it on a towel or sponge and put it over the spots . Do one section at a time and let it sit for about 30 secs to a minute. Make sure you rinse after and then wash the car. Vinegar will remove your wax so you'll have to rewax your car after the vinegar. Before the wax add a sealant and it then you should be good from water and bird droppings, etc.
Professional detailers don't recommend using vinegar. It's a bit to stringent in my opinion. Thus, my recommendation would be the following...

To Remove Waterspots -- Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover
To Strip Wax prior to Clay bar, buffing, etc -- Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear
Old 01-17-2009, 02:36 AM
ERM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can dilute w/ a 50/50 solution if you're worried. I have done it on my old black A4 many times before and not had any problems. You can use full strength and be fine if you make sure you fully rinse and wash quickly after.

I'm not familiar w/ the Chemical Guys removers, although I've used their stuff before (Jet Seal) and have been happy.

Another thing I have found that works is Zaino Z-6 which is a gloss enhancer/quick spray detailer. It seems to get in there pretty good and remove the water spots even though that's not what I was initially using it for - I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by ERM; 01-17-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I unfortunately have mega WS on my PG hood and trunk.... you would think the neutral color would hide such blemishes but alas it does not...
Old 02-21-2009, 05:05 PM
DrJones

*bump* this is a good thread
Old 02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can get rid of water spots with wax like Meguiars Gold Class, etc.

That Simple!

You have to polish the area by hand slighlty to get rid of them. Try it and see for yourself. Dont need special soap or cleaner. Use the same Wax you use to protect your paint.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:16 PM
last lemming

Maybe, but that didn't work for me. And I didn't leave the water on the car long. I washed it and the sun was hitting down on my car, 10 min. later I had baked on water spots and the only thing that took them out was polishing we a DA.

Originally Posted by Xcaliper
You can get rid of water spots with wax like Meguiars Gold Class, etc.

That Simple!

You have to polish the area by hand slighlty to get rid of them. Try it and see for yourself. Dont need special soap or cleaner. Use the same Wax you use to protect your paint.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Heat

I always like to wash my car at sunset with a couple spotlights on. Then move it into the garage to finish out the detail.

Texas sun can be a bitch.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
last lemming

me too. I live in Louisiana and I have to wait till the sun is behind the trees before I start, I end up washing in the dark the last 15 min. or so. Hopefully I'll get more time in the summer.

yeah, I dry mine in the garage too.

Sometimes I think I should of listened to my dad more when he said "don't let the things you own own you. . . " but what fun would that be right

Originally Posted by Heat
I always like to wash my car at sunset with a couple spotlights on. Then move it into the garage to finish out the detail.

Texas sun can be a bitch.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
gsw

Originally Posted by last lemming
Need some advice on preventing water spots.

I use Meguires Gold Class car wash and Poorboys wax (blue color), and I washed my car (two bucket style) at 9 am in the moring yesterday. The temp was about 57 degrees and the sun was early rising in the sky. When I washed I started at the top and worked my way down, and all along spraying the car down continually so as not to let the car dry. Then I quickly went around and dried the car. But no matter what I did the car came out looking like a kid full of acne - water spots everywhere, millions of them - baked in too. I tried rewashing small areas real quick and drying with microfiber but the spots did not come out.

The other problem I have is that where I was is on the southe side of the house so there will always be sun hitting the car.

What is the best method (perferably the most gentle) of removing water spots and which is the best wax and sope to prevent?
You might want to consider picking up a CR Spotless water filtration system. I've been using it for 2 yrs now and love it. It filters out all the minerals and crap in the water so that you can avoid water etchings.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gsw
You might want to consider picking up a CR Spotless water filtration system. I've been using it for 2 yrs now and love it. It filters out all the minerals and crap in the water so that you can avoid water etchings.
Have a link?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcaliper
Have a link?
Water De-ionizer.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Cool thanks Black Betty! Been thinking about purchasing this for awhile.