Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Black G37 + Dried Bird Poo + Paper towel & water :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black G37 + Dried Bird Poo + Paper towel & water :(

so yes... i did it... even though i knew i shouldn't have.. I used a paper towel, to remove the bird poop right away once i saw it ... now the bird poop is gone but there are lots of scratches on the hood where the poop was...

I just washed the car and was hoping it would look better but it didn't help ... i used klass all in one on it too but that didn't do much..

Anyone know of any simple products that I can use to get rid of the scratches? Or do I need to bring it to a detailer?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM
nogoodname
Banned

ahhh damn, that sucks !!!
Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How hard were you rubbing??????

I use paper towels all the time, I just spray it down with a detailer first.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:27 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Originally Posted by psyh
How hard were you rubbing??????

I use paper towels all the time, I just spray it down with a detailer first.
i sprayed it down with a detailer too.. but the poop was already dried... up.. so i had to rub it pretty hard to get it out..

i'll be using micro fiber from now on..
Old 11-23-2008, 05:47 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you shoulda let it soak first so it's not hard... oh well, lesson learned.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kkokko
so yes... i did it... even though i knew i shouldn't have.. I used a paper towel, to remove the bird poop right away once i saw it ... now the bird poop is gone but there are lots of scratches on the hood where the poop was...

I just washed the car and was hoping it would look better but it didn't help ... i used klass all in one on it too but that didn't do much..

Anyone know of any simple products that I can use to get rid of the scratches? Or do I need to bring it to a detailer?
PM Blackjack, he knows all about this kind of stuff.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No need to PM... BJ to rescue.

First thing, it sounds like you got it off before any etching or clear coat damage occurred... That's good. Unfortunately, the use the paper towel likely caused the scratches. As the others mentioned, letting it to soak in a quick detailer or even water is the proper way to start removing dried droppings. Then slowly remove with Microfiber. May take a few rounds but this will help prevent scratches.

Since you do have some scratches, I'd recommend you get a good swirl remover like Menzerna PO106ff. You'll likely need to do the entire panel (i.e. hood). Ideally application with a Porter Cable would be recommended (and definitely a good investment) but it can be done via hand as well but it may take a few applications to get near results that you would with a PC. After that, just follow it up with some of our Klasse AIO and you should be good to go.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

If you want to try something easier to find, you can always pick up some Meguiars Scratch X. It may work for you. Just a note that Scratch X does have some filler although it may look like the scratches were removed they may be just temporarily concealled.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

ooh thanks for the advice blackjack. Also just curious, how can you tell if you've damaged it so bad that it went through the clearcoat and the only option would be repaint?

Originally Posted by Blackjack
No need to PM... BJ to rescue.

First thing, it sounds like you got it off before any etching or clear coat damage occurred... That's good. Unfortunately, the use the paper towel likely caused the scratches. As the others mentioned, letting it to soak in a quick detailer or even water is the proper way to start removing dried droppings. Then slowly remove with Microfiber. May take a few rounds but this will help prevent scratches.

Since you do have some scratches, I'd recommend you get a good swirl remover like Menzerna PO106ff. You'll likely need to do the entire panel (i.e. hood). Ideally application with a Porter Cable would be recommended (and definitely a good investment) but it can be done via hand as well but it may take a few applications to get near results that you would with a PC. After that, just follow it up with some of our Klasse AIO and you should be good to go.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kkokko
ooh thanks for the advice blackjack. Also just curious, how can you tell if you've damaged it so bad that it went through the clearcoat and the only option would be repaint?
Np... You'd know it if it were through the clearcoat. You'd really feel it with a light run over with your fingernail.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

for the meguiar's scratch x, would I just apply it on the scratch area or the entire panel?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

You can apply it just on the area. But remember correcting clear by hand is near impossible, you'll most likely need a PC.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I had bird poop burn into be clear coat on my BO. It was a bitch to fix. I used Menzerna SIP followed by PO106FF like Blackack reccomended. I used the PC and had to go over it several times to get the etching out completely. If you don't have a PC and the right products, I'd say take it to a good pro detailer as you're likely not to fix it and might make it worse.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

what are the usual prices for pro detailers anyways? say for example if I want my hood to be fixed?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Where are you located? I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Black G37 + Dried Bird Poo + Paper towel & water :(