Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Scratches on Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Meltdownblitz
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ I think I'll have to agree with his point. Because I have a warrenty on my clear bra from the installer, and also maybe from 3M, (not sure how that works). But either way, I would ask my installer like HTP said, they can fix it if they give you the wrong advice, that might be the safest way to go.

But its whatever with me, I don't care about scratches on my Clear bra unless its EXTREMELY noticeable.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Dan1

HTP is correct.

"Q. Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M™ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used." http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Consumer/FAQs/

If you still want to polish your clear bra, I would use a very light polish with a finishing pad. An example would be Menz 87mc or 85rd and a LC blue or red CCS pad.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My last input... I don't give a flip what 3M or other brands say. I've used abrasive polished on clear bra for the past 5 years on not only my car as well as others. Never had problems and have been able to save many clear bra installs that customer were ready to have removed because of scratches, hard water spots, etc.

But... Do as you wish. I'm not recommending it to anyone, but I've had EXCELLENT SUCCESS using specifically Menzerna polished on clear bra.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by Blackjack
My last input... I don't give a flip what 3M or other brands say. I've used abrasive polished on clear bra for the past 5 years on not only my car as well as others. Never had problems and have been able to save many clear bra installs that customer were ready to have removed because of scratches, hard water spots, etc.

But... Do as you wish. I'm not recommending it to anyone, but I've had EXCELLENT SUCCESS using specifically Menzerna polished on clear bra.
Thats great that you have had excellent success. What type of polish did you use? Fine, nano, etc... I think that might be the key here. A fine polish could be ok if it is not abrasive. 3M even states not to use an abrasive polish on their website... and I would be willing to be that if you tried to get film replaced after telling them that you used an abrasive polish on it... they would deny your claim.

So while you have had "EXCELLENT SUCCESS" other have completely ruined film with polishes that were not intended for that use. And once you have done it and damaged it, you will more than likely not get it replaced under warranty.

And like I said, every film is different. So go with what your installer recommends.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Thats great that you have had excellent success. What type of polish did you use? Fine, nano, etc... I think that might be the key here. A fine polish could be ok if it is not abrasive. 3M even states not to use an abrasive polish on their website... and I would be willing to be that if you tried to get film replaced after telling them that you used an abrasive polish on it... they would deny your claim.

So while you have had "EXCELLENT SUCCESS" other have completely ruined film with polishes that were not intended for that use. And once you have done it and damaged it, you will more than likely not get it replaced under warranty.

And like I said, every film is different. So go with what your installer recommends.
Typically I only use a Final Finishing Polish (like Menzerna PO106ff or PO85RD) however, I've used Menzerna Intensive Polish as well for those in bad shape.

You mention people have ruined their film? Do you have pictures? I'd be very interested to see what happened.

Regardless, get real guys... Of course they aren't going to recommend it. Hell, car manufacturers don't recommend you use anything but OEM fluids and parts (motor oil being a big one), but most of use don't use OEM.

But still... Don't take my word for it if you don't want to. I certainly don't want to cause anyone to "ruin" film, but I'll continue saving my customers the need for a new clearbra with my tried and true processes.

Lastly... I'm not the only member here who has had good results with polishes on their clearbra... Black Betty has as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Typically I only use a Final Finishing Polish (like Menzerna PO106ff or PO85RD) however, I've used Menzerna Intensive Polish as well for those in bad shape.

You mention people have ruined their film? Do you have pictures? I'd be very interested to see what happened.

Regardless, get real guys... Of course they aren't going to recommend it. Hell, car manufacturers don't recommend you use anything but OEM fluids and parts (motor oil being a big one), but most of use don't use OEM.

But still... Don't take my word for it if you don't want to. I certainly don't want to cause anyone to "ruin" film, but I'll continue saving my customers the need for a new clearbra with my tried and true processes.

Lastly... I'm not the only member here who has had good results with polishes on their clearbra... Black Betty has as well.
Why you are taking this personal is beyond me. By the way, what is your business?

And no I did not take any pictures. The film looks scuffed and hazy; why would I take photos of that? I have seen it numerous times. Again I just recommend that people ask their installers. If they dont and they take your advice (your not even in the paint protection film business) and they damage the film (even thoguh the manufactuer says not to) then it will void their warranty if the ruin it. What is wrong with asking???
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Why you are taking this personal is beyond me. By the way, what is your business?

And no I did not take any pictures. The film looks scuffed and hazy; why would I take photos of that? I have seen it numerous times. Again I just recommend that people ask their installers. If they dont and they take your advice (your not even in the paint protection film business) and they damage the film (even thoguh the manufactuer says not to) then it will void their warranty if the ruin it. What is wrong with asking???
Hmmm... Not taking it personally at all. Just stating that it's worked for me. As for my business... I own and operate a detailing business in Atlanta (n2detail).
Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes, I've used Menzerna PO106FF and SIP just like Blackjack on 3 occasions now on my car's clear bra with excellent results as well. The clear bra I have scratches very easily. I've tried all the recommended remedies (Plast-X, Plexus, etc.) with little or no result in getting etched bird poo, scratches, and water spots off of the film. The PC and the SIP do the trick every time. I don't know what is or isn't recommended by my installer as he didn't seem to know anything. So if it screws it up, you bet he's going to warranty it because he should have told me what to use or not use when I asked him.

I can only tell anyone what's worked for me, not what the manufacturer or installer recommends because I don't know that.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:21 AM
HTP AutoWorks

Hmmm... Not taking it personally at all. Just stating that it's worked for me. As for my business... I own and operate a detailing business in Atlanta (n2detail).
Congrats on the detailing business. I own and operate a clear bra/vinyl graphics buiness in SoCal. So I am only speaking from my background/experience and what I recommend to my clients. And I never recommend an abrasive polish. If a customer were to come back to me after I told them not to use an abrasive polish on their film thne I guess they would be out of luck.

If your installer does not know what to recommend then he is not a good installer. He should at a minimum know what the factory recommends and what they do not. Its part of the training he should have recieved when he got ceritified.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Congrats on the detailing business. I own and operate a clear bra/vinyl graphics buiness in SoCal. So I am only speaking from my background/experience and what I recommend to my clients. And I never recommend an abrasive polish. If a customer were to come back to me after I told them not to use an abrasive polish on their film thne I guess they would be out of luck.

If your installer does not know what to recommend then he is not a good installer. He should at a minimum know what the factory recommends and what they do not. Its part of the training he should have recieved when he got ceritified.
Thanks, Appreciate it. If I were an installer, I wouldn't recommend it either, because you are putting yourself in an awkward position if the person messes something up. Definitely understand your position there.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I have some of those as well and I'm not sure what can be done. I have one longer one about 5 inches across the hood that I would like to go away
If the clear bra picked up a 5in. scratch imagine what it would look like on ur G37's soft paint.