Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Black car = lots of detailing quetions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:08 PM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black car = lots of detailing quetions

Ok,

I finially got a G37s and I just HAD to go black - just had to. And I new it was going to be more difficult to care for but man, I just didn't quite realize the amount of work to keep it looking top notch.

I typically use meguires products, but I'm not sure its the right product for our car because I'm not sure if its clear coat is ceramic or not. I've read that alot of people on this board like Menzerna products because the polishes can cut the ceramic clear coats.

I have both an orbital polisher and a DA polisher but I'd rather give it a go by hand first befor I jump into the machines.

The reason I'm asking this is I have fine scrateches on the clear from washing and I tried getting them off with first 3M rubbing compound (by hand) then Meg's #7 (by hand) finally Meg's gold wax. But after all was said and done the scratches were still there. BTW you can't feel the scratches at all with the fingernail, just see them in the right light.

I also have some Wizards polish and turbo cut from when I painted my 86 Porsche that I have not used on the car. Not sure they are the right product for the job.

I'm willing to give this Menzera product a try but but can they be used by hand or can should I stick to Meg's products since they are readily available to me and I trust them. And on the Meg's which numbers do I need and which order? (even though I think I aready now the order I'd still like to hear it from others).

thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try taking it to a autoshop let the pros handle it, and if theres any spot (waterspot,dirtspot), use megulars quick detailer and a micro fiber cloth, it does the job, only time you'll see stuff on the car is when your face close to it, trust me i own a black 37 also and its a pain to keep clean.

try getting one of those touch up pens also in case.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm not very familiar with many of the Meguiar's products. I've used a few of the easily available products and they were just OK. I too have an OB and had huge issues with improper care of the finish at first. I swear by the Menzerna products and we have a vendor here Detailed Image who gives us a 10% discount. If you'd like to see what they can do, view my thread HERE and see the results for yourself.

I'll never use anything else as far as polishes go. I also like the Poorboy's World Products too.

A great resource is the "Ask a Professional Detailer" thread asd well. Lots of info but if you read through it you will get lots of questions answered and lear tons to help you keep your OB looking great.

Good luck and post photos of your scratches.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
last lemming

I'll certainly read through the threads, but can you tell me if you have to use a machine or can you had polish with Menzerna products?

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Welcome to the forum. I'm not very familiar with many of the Meguiar's products. I've used a few of the easily available products and they were just OK. I too have an OB and had huge issues with improper care of the finish at first. I swear by the Menzerna products and we have a vendor here Detailed Image who gives us a 10% discount. If you'd like to see what they can do, view my thread HERE and see the results for yourself.

I'll never use anything else as far as polishes go. I also like the Poorboy's World Products too.

A great resource is the "Ask a Professional Detailer" thread asd well. Lots of info but if you read through it you will get lots of questions answered and lear tons to help you keep your OB looking great.

Good luck and post photos of your scratches.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by last lemming
I'll certainly read through the threads, but can you tell me if you have to use a machine or can you had polish with Menzerna products?
You can do it by hand, but investing in a good polisher like the PC 7424 makes a world of difference. It will not only be much easier and quicker, but the results you'll get from doing it by hand pale in comparison to using the PC. I had no idea until I recently got one. I didn't really believe it would make such a difference from hand polishing until I tried it for myself. It's well worth the investment if you can.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too had always done everything by hand. This weekend was first use of PC 7424. World of difference.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 PM
last lemming

I own a similar random orbit polisher but I get concerned about just how much clear I'm cutting through. But if that's the way to go then I'll do it.

You can do it by hand, but investing in a good polisher like the PC 7424 makes a world of difference. It will not only be much easier and quicker, but the results you'll get from doing it by hand pale in comparison to using the PC. I had no idea until I recently got one. I didn't really believe it would make such a difference from hand polishing until I tried it for myself. It's well worth the investment if you can.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of results and advice in the forum and at Detailed Image. I just posted my first results here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-care-and-detailing/185807-rookie-results-on-black-and-question.html. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
siperwrx

Hey folks,
So here's the deal. Meguire's is crap. Sorry to break hearts, but its full of additives that don't offer long term protection like some other brands. I've had black cars my whole life. When I got the 37, the dealership washed it for me and gave me some nice swirls. Here's what I did to get them out. First of all, I only use Sonus products. (BetterCarCare.com) The quality is second to none. Essentially, I bought the Sonus SFX Kit with Ultimate Detailing Machine Car Polisher by Porter Cable. It came with the 3 stage polish and pads which eliminated all my swirls and imperfections caused by the dealership. Then I sealed the paint with Rejex (search for it, it is simply incredible). After letting the Rejex cure for 12 hours in a garage, I applied the P21S wax (which is basically pure carnauba and beeswax). If you apply anything but pure carnauba, it'll strip the Rejex. You can also layer the Rejex after 12 hours for extra protection and then apply the P21S.

After doing all this, I only need to wash my car once a week, you can push it to two weeks if you have a duster. I like to wax once a month and the Rejex needs to be applied once every four months.

It takes some work to get all this done, but once its done, its minimal upkeep and the car looks great. Just make sure you use high quality microfiber for everything (wash mits, drying towels, and buffing towels). Also, when you wash and buff, only buff in straight lines going in the direction that wind blows over the car. (i.e. - never rub in circular motions....except for waxing)
Hope my rant helps. I love black cars and this is fool-proof method to keeping it look great.

This should go without saying, but NEVER EVER bring it to a carwash. Goto Autopia.org and read your little hearts out for extra advice and flawless techniques to keeping your car in pristine condition. Good luck guys!

Last edited by siperwrx; 10-07-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I own a similar random orbit polisher but I get concerned about just how much clear I'm cutting through. But if that's the way to go then I'll do it.
You have no chance whatsoever of cutting through a significant amount of your clear coat by using the random orbital. See this post by a professinal detailer who happens to be an Admin here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...41&postcount=5

If it's good enough for Garnet Canuck, it's good enough for me. See some of his results elsewhere in the detailing forum and decide for yourself.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
last lemming

I have ordered the followinging:

the PC 7424 and starter kit
Menzerna 0106ff, sip, and mftg.

lets see how it goes!!!

Thanks for yalls help

You have no chance whatsoever of cutting through a significant amount of your clear coat by using the random orbital. See this post by a professinal detailer who happens to be an Admin here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...41&postcount=5

If it's good enough for Garnet Canuck, it's good enough for me. See some of his results elsewhere in the detailing forum and decide for yourself.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I have ordered the followinging:

the PC 7424 and starter kit
Menzerna 0106ff, sip, and mftg.

lets see how it goes!!!

Thanks for yalls help
You must post before/after pics when you get her done. I think you'll see the difference from hand polishing immediately in both how hard you have to work and in your results. I'm eager to see what your results are.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by siperwrx
Hey folks,
So here's the deal. Meguire's is crap. Sorry to break hearts, but its full of additives that don't offer long term protection like some other brands. I've had black cars my whole life. When I got the 37, the dealership washed it for me and gave me some nice swirls. Here's what I did to get them out. First of all, I only use Sonus products. (BetterCarCare.com) The quality is second to none. Essentially, I bought the Sonus SFX Kit with Ultimate Detailing Machine Car Polisher by Porter Cable. It came with the 3 stage polish and pads which eliminated all my swirls and imperfections caused by the dealership. Then I sealed the paint with Rejex (search for it, it is simply incredible). After letting the Rejex cure for 12 hours in a garage, I applied the P21S wax (which is basically pure carnauba and beeswax). If you apply anything but pure carnauba, it'll strip the Rejex. You can also layer the Rejex after 12 hours for extra protection and then apply the P21S.

After doing all this, I only need to wash my car once a week, you can push it to two weeks if you have a duster. I like to wax once a month and the Rejex needs to be applied once every four months.

It takes some work to get all this done, but once its done, its minimal upkeep and the car looks great. Just make sure you use high quality microfiber for everything (wash mits, drying towels, and buffing towels). Also, when you wash and buff, only buff in straight lines going in the direction that wind blows over the car. (i.e. - never rub in circular motions....except for waxing)
Hope my rant helps. I love black cars and this is fool-proof method to keeping it look great.

This should go without saying, but NEVER EVER bring it to a carwash. Goto Autopia.org and read your little hearts out for extra advice and flawless techniques to keeping your car in pristine condition. Good luck guys!
Meguiars #21 2.0 lasts a very long time, their OTC stuff sucks though
Old 10-10-2008, 12:32 PM
siperwrx

Originally Posted by Seer
Meguiars #21 2.0 lasts a very long time, their OTC stuff sucks though
Exactly, most consumers don't know where to get the Special Meguire's compounds, but there are many products that a drastically better either way.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok,

I finially got a G37s and I just HAD to go black - just had to. And I new it was going to be more difficult to care for but man, I just didn't quite realize the amount of work to keep it looking top notch.

I typically use meguires products, but I'm not sure its the right product for our car because I'm not sure if its clear coat is ceramic or not. I've read that alot of people on this board like Menzerna products because the polishes can cut the ceramic clear coats.

I have both an orbital polisher and a DA polisher but I'd rather give it a go by hand first befor I jump into the machines.

The reason I'm asking this is I have fine scrateches on the clear from washing and I tried getting them off with first 3M rubbing compound (by hand) then Meg's #7 (by hand) finally Meg's gold wax. But after all was said and done the scratches were still there. BTW you can't feel the scratches at all with the fingernail, just see them in the right light.

I also have some Wizards polish and turbo cut from when I painted my 86 Porsche that I have not used on the car. Not sure they are the right product for the job.

I'm willing to give this Menzera product a try but but can they be used by hand or can should I stick to Meg's products since they are readily available to me and I trust them. And on the Meg's which numbers do I need and which order? (even though I think I aready now the order I'd still like to hear it from others).

thanks for any help you can offer.
I know I'm a little late here, but I have used Meg's #9 (Swirl Remover) with great results in the past. I've used it with a PC, though, not by hand.

Now, I use P0106FF for fine scratches, which I see you've already ordered.

Quick Reply: Black car = lots of detailing quetions