Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Front window chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 AM
VONYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally

LOL damn u haven't posted a reply to one of my threads in a while ... Where you been ? LOL ... Did you see rob, I lowered my car =) ... It's under the exterior look thread ...

Ok so I'm going to take your word for it and sit my dad down and tell him cuz he's being stupid about it...

Even if it's a tiny chip right ? Cuz that's what it is ... And how is the fix on it ? It doesn't take it away right ?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Graham should be chiming in any minute now...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:10 AM
VONYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idk what that means ^

I guess since I'm 18 I don't fully understand?? Is it like an old person joke LOL ??
Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by x'sG37_MIA
idk what that means ^

I guess since I'm 18 I don't fully understand?? Is it like an old person joke LOL ??
Graham is a member here and he is an insurance agent...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 AM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by x'sG37_MIA
LOL damn u haven't posted a reply to one of my threads in a while ... Where you been ? LOL ... Did you see rob, I lowered my car =) ... It's under the exterior look thread ...

Ok so I'm going to take your word for it and sit my dad down and tell him cuz he's being stupid about it...

Even if it's a tiny chip right ? Cuz that's what it is ... And how is the fix on it ? It doesn't take it away right ?
Mine started out as a chip then it started developing small cracks which grew. That's when I contacted my insurance. They replaced the entire windshield, no questions.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends what state you are in and what insurance company you have. Some companies are more leaneant when it comes to windsheilds. A couple compaines we represent will patch and repair windsheilds without use of your deductible. While others see it strictly as a comprehensive claim.
If your not familiar with insurance, you'll have 2 deductibles, comprehensive, which is used for wind, fire, theft, vandalism, animals, and windsheilds. Collision is for impacts from either your car hitting something or an object in motion hits your car. In California, the only type of claim that can be charged against your record, and cause an uprate in premium is an "at-fault collision."
So in your case the worst case senario is to pay your ded. for Comp. and have the windsheild replaced, or if you just want the chip patched some compaines will just waive the deductible. But IMO, i've taken rocks to the windsheild and claimed the whole windshield, I've never had sealing problems. Just don't go bargin shopping for glass guys, get a reputable company, insurance is paying the bill so what does it matter to you, and they cannot raise rates if its just a comp. claim. Now if you are one of those unfortunate people that carries $1000 comp ded. thinking its saving you a lot of money, I'm sorry but you were miss informed.
Keep a low comp ded. and figure out what collision ded. fits your budget, you'd be suprised how little it costs to carry a full coverage ded. or even $25 for comp.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

^^ Thanks Graham for chiming in...
Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

In Florida, they don't charge you the deductible. I've had a few windshields replaced. However, the insurance companies typically have autoglass shops they work with and will recommend one.

Last edited by EZDozzit; 09-23-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Originally Posted by EZDozzit
In Florida, they don't charge you the deductible. I've had a few windshields replaced. However, the insurance companies typically have autoglass shops they work with and will recommend one.
I think its more so company specific, not state specific. I've seen CA policies that waive windsheild breakage ded., while others don't. I think just the companies you've been with have had that sort of policy coverage. And yes all insurance companies know where to get a windshield fixed, if they didn't i'd think about switching carriers.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Originally Posted by Graham
I think its more so company specific, not state specific. I've seen CA policies that waive windsheild breakage ded., while others don't. I think just the companies you've been with have had that sort of policy coverage. And yes all insurance companies know where to get a windshield fixed, if they didn't i'd think about switching carriers.
I've been with 3 diff insurance companies in Florida, replaced windshields with each and not one charged the deductible. A friend of mine told me that's the policy for Florida. As for the autoglass shops, what I meant to say is that the insurance companies want you to use one of the shops which have an arrangement with them. You can't just go to any shop, get an estimate and expect your insurance to cover it. For the deductible, I've always set mine to $250. I also go with the lease level coverage even if I don't lease. Just want to make sure I'm covered even if I rear end an expensive import.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Acutally you can go to any shop
"Under California Insurance Code §758.5 an insurance company cannot require that an automobile be repaired at a specific repair shop. However, an insurance company can recommend that an automobile be repaired at a specific repair shop under the following conditions outlined by law......you can read further if you'd like at, http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0100-con...air.cfm#choice, granted these are california laws.

Just another tip, call your agent and ask him what the difference in premium is if you lower your comp. ded. to the lowest possible, i'm sure you'll change it.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

X'sG37 is located in Florida, not California so not sure what the differences in laws are. I'll check with my wife who's an attorney. But I'm sure you're right, you can go to any shop. However, the insurance company may only cover up to a certain amount for the windshield replacement meaning you'd have to pay the difference. That's why they want you to work with one of their shops which have a pre-agreed upon cost to do the work.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Graham
Premier Member

Originally Posted by EZDozzit
X'sG37 is located in Florida, not California so not sure what the differences in laws are. I'll check with my wife who's an attorney. But I'm sure you're right, you can go to any shop. However, the insurance company may only cover up to a certain amount for the windshield replacement meaning you'd have to pay the difference. That's why they want you to work with one of their shops which have a pre-agreed upon cost to do the work.
Oh its definetely to your benefit to play ball with the insurance company. You'll save a lot of down time. With certified shops a lot of times adjusters won't have to come out and inspect, the insurance carrier will authorize the repairs based on the body shops recommendations.

But in all seriousness, call your agent and lower your comp. ded. Vandalism, wind damage, animals running into the road, you'd pay nada, or next to nothing. The difference in premium I'd bet is less than $40 every 6 months if that, on 2 vehicles (i'm assuming your wife drives too.)