Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

G37 paint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:42 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't notice swirls but it scratches WAY too easily.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
From the dealer my car looked like it had been in a tornado. I bought a detail kit from Detaled Images, clayed, polished, glazed and applied selant...and wala.. totally scratchles. I've washed the car at least 40 times, careful to use clean mitts and clean Microfiber towels. I've added a few light scratches but nothing close to swirls or bad enough to pull out the polisher again for. Point is you can take precautions to limit scratching. In spring I'm sure it will be time to get the polisher out again.
Which kit did you get?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Keng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the 09 paint will stand better
Old 09-16-2008, 03:16 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EZDozzit
Which kit did you get?
Porter Cable 7424 Advanced Kit, Menzerna ceramic polish and Poorboy's EXP Selant.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...nced-Kit-P147/

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 09-16-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by Keng
I wonder if the 09 paint will stand better
09 paint = self healing clear coat... this means swirl marks will disappear in a matter of hours if any. 09 paint > 08 paint.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
09 paint = self healing clear coat... this means swirl marks will disappear in a matter of hours if any. 09 paint > 08 paint.
You sure about that? So the soft paint we already have, is going to be softer? Also, what happens if you don't wash your car for a week or two? Will the dirt and crap get embedded into the soft paint?

-----------------------------

I just saw a 1" deep scratch on my door today.. I am pissed. What kind of dumdazzes don't know how to walk pass by a car? That shlt is deep. And my car is black, so all you see is a white line. WTF. Our paint is crap.. Way to soft.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
First off the guys at the dealership washing yor car are scratching it period!

NEVER if you care about your paint EVER let the dealership wash your car or any one else. If you love your car you will wash it once a week yourself.

When I got my car from dealership it was like cats danced on my car or a tornado with a thousand cats hit it! but the most important thing is the scrathes where only swil makrs and are olny on the clear coat.

This my friends is all easy to get rid of with a Variable High-Speed buffer uisng the right pad and cleaner/polisher wax. Do this once a year professionaly. Of course you need to know how to use that machine or you'll blister/destroy your paint. Once done with the buff, you coat it with wax for protection.

a) Do a wax every 2 months
b) Rinse car with high-presure top to bottom to remove fine sand/dirt particles that scrath paint.
c) Wash your car with microfiber sponge
d) Use a non-wax striping soap
e) Dry lightly after every wash with a microfiber towel - city water + paint = crap paint

Oh and for those who have goten stone chips on the front of the car.
This happens usually at high speeds or on highway. Try not to tail trucks or SUVS they are the number one stone throwers. Also your own lawn service guy who cuts your yard will destroy your paint with those weed eaters and edge cutters throwing rocks/stones!

Go buy these guidelines and your good to go with your paint!
The following users liked this post:
spinna001 (02-13-2014)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 PM
HTP AutoWorks

You can thank all of our new environmental laws for the quality of paint these days. A lot of hardeners and chemicals can no longer be used and its only going to get worse over the next few years.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Nighthawk26

The dealer when I picked up my car showed me the EX and said it already has that "self healing" paint. Sounds like a lot of markeing mumbo jumbo and and even the sales guy could hardly keep a straight face. But he did tell me the 09 will be better as well.

Another thing I noticed, a lot of the griolls even at the dealership are peeled, or chipped. That thing looks to be make of crap as well. I'm really hoping I'm just nitpicking or some people just don't know how to take care of their cars properly and I'm worrying for nothing.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do some of you guys really believe that the paint is "defective"???

Many other automotive brands have paint as soft or softer than ours. Porsche is a perfect example of having much softer paint than what we have. My advice is to educate yourself and learn how to PROPERLY take care of your paint. Any car's paint will suffer from swirls and marring if you don't have the proper washing/drying habits.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

^Bingo, and thank you!!
All this complaining about paint is getting really annoying. Environmental concerns are changing the formulations, get used to it and deal with it.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
VONYC

our paint is just cheap as hell...

the best part is that my effin finger nail scratches my own paint...

buff the car and it will get fixed a little ... then it will come back if you dont take care of it..

your going to get swirls no matter what... even if you use 2 buckets to clean your car...
Old 09-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by x'sG37_MIA
our paint is just cheap as hell...

the best part is that my effin finger nail scratches my own paint...

buff the car and it will get fixed a little ... then it will come back if you dont take care of it..

your going to get swirls no matter what... even if you use 2 buckets to clean your car...

No offence, but duh!! Of course swirls, scratches, and marring will come back if you don't take care of your paint properly. If you never take care of your car mechanically, do you honestly think that it will last as long as if you did take care of it mechanically???? Seriously, what do you people expect???

Sorry but but I find most of the comments in this thread are quite funny.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM
VONYC

Ok ... so how do you take care of your paint ? cuz its either two things... Im doing something wrong or its just cuz i live in miami and not having a garage affects it.

So if you know what it is let me know so i can do something about it...

My points on my post was just to say that if u dont take care of your car then they will come back cuz someone posted earlier what can i do to take off swirls .. and i just let them know...

but i want to know your method of preventing swirls on an everyday car...
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM
nogoodname
Banned

does the 09 models solve this problem with that scratch-shield paint protection thing?

Quick Reply: G37 paint problems?