Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Finding a good professional detailer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:11 PM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding a good professional detailer?

I'm interested in getting my 2008 BS G37s professionally detailed due to some annoying swirl marks (bought it used). The swirls aren't terrible by any means, but the car is brand new to me and I kind of want it to look brand new. I just moved to Dayton, Ohio, and I'm not real familiar with the area.

How do I go about finding a quality detailer? What kinds of things should I look for, or look out for? How much should a quality detail job cost? If someone tells me it will take an hour, obviously that's a shady job. But what kind of time frame should a good detailer quote me? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

And don't tell me to just do it myself; I'm lazy and would rather just pay someone who can probably do a much better job anyway.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:29 PM
jenman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look on www.autopia.org and make a post in the regional sections ... if a detailer is on that site, they will likely have a very high standard
Old 08-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with OH but I do detail work in Atlanta. Check out the following for people in your area: http://www.detailuniversity.com/find-a-detailer/

When you talk to people ask what kind of products they use and you can post back here... If a professional detail is using Turtle Wax or Meguiars (no offense to those that use these) they probably aren't the best to use. I'd also inquire to what is included in each package (i.e. Claybar, polish, glaze, sealant, wax, etc). Most detailers will at least include claybar, an abrasive polish, and a sealant in their packages. For me, I also do this unless you are doing just a simple Wash & Wax (which I don't really consider a detail). In terms of the interior ask what they do to the leather. Do they clean & condition it? If so what do they use?

Most detailers also have a website where they have a gallery of some of their jobs... Ask if they do.

A quality detail job is going to run you anywhere from $175 - $300 depending on what is done and how many steps are included. You should expect on average them spending anywhere from 4-6 hours on your car.

Hope that helps.