Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

3M Clear Bra users.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 AM
prutkows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ppc
Go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of apple cider vinegar. Make a solution of 50/50 vinegar and water. Spray on a good coat, let stand for a minute or two and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth. If paranoid, you can rinse with water after wiping. Depending how bad the spotting is it make take a few applications over a couple of days to clear up.
i think that only works for paint.. not clearbra.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM
pyctici

does anyone have the clear bra on black? im trying to get some feeback on how noticable it is? im considering full bumper hood mirrors.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:46 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I have had my 3M bra since new(about a year now). If you're very ****, you can see the small hood line; if you're not you can't

Pictures of clear bras are worthless and you need to make the decision of whether you like seeing the line in person. Personally, a bunch of white chips on BO paint is ugly as Hlel IMO and I will do what is necessary to eliminate that. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
07BlackG35Stud

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I have had my 3M bra since new(about a year now). If you're very ****, you can see the small hood line; if you're not you can't

Pictures of clear bras are worthless and you need to make the decision of whether you like seeing the line in person. Personally, a bunch of white chips on BO paint is ugly as Hlel IMO and I will do what is necessary to eliminate that. Good luck!
+1 ^^^^
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
pyctici

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37

thanks man! dully noted, but ive come to the conclusion that im going to do the entire front bumper, side fenders, entire hood and mirrors
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by pyctici
thanks man! dully noted, but ive come to the conclusion that im going to do the entire front bumper, side fenders, entire hood and mirrors
I will try to find out what the name of my film is and let you know...I thought it was 3M but it's not. It's actually very difficult to notice. We just had a FL meet, and a lot of members after I told them the car has a clear bra, continued to ask me why I "hadn't had the hood done." They were even more surprised to find out that the hood IS actually done, they just couldn't tell. Even the line is difficult to find Obviously keeping a clean car helps with this, but I am very happy with the material and the installer. He did amazing work on my car!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

The only rock ding I have is like 6 inches above where it stops on the hood

I should have done the whole hood as well, so you are smarter than me!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
BHCubed

anyone know if the 3m or any of the other brands is transparent enough to use on the windshield?? i do a lot of highway driving and my windshield allready has tiny rock chips alll over it. I've only had the car a week. I won't be able to see shizzle out of my windshield after a few years. Has anyone tried this, lol?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM
HTP AutoWorks

There is a company called ProLine that has a windshield film out. I will not install it because it really hasnt been tested and doesnt seem to be too durable. There is also some liability issues there I really dont want to get into. I am sure there are some other clear bra installers out there that will put it on for you.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
BHCubed

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
There is a company called ProLine that has a windshield film out. I will not install it because it really hasnt been tested and doesnt seem to be too durable. There is also some liability issues there I really dont want to get into. I am sure there are some other clear bra installers out there that will put it on for you.
Thanks for the info. anyone else know of any other brands that might work? I'd really rather not have the proline installed if it's not durable enough. Do you mean liability issues with Proline or with it installed on the windshield or film being installed on a windshield period? I know you said you didn't want to get into it. If it really is a satety issue, I might just have to live with the chips in my windshield.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 AM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by BHCubed
Thanks for the info. anyone else know of any other brands that might work? I'd really rather not have the proline installed if it's not durable enough. Do you mean liability issues with Proline or with it installed on the windshield or film being installed on a windshield period? I know you said you didn't want to get into it. If it really is a satety issue, I might just have to live with the chips in my windshield.
Dude, you do realize the windshield is designed to shatter in a million pieces in the case of accident, correct? Now, put a sticky film over it and see what happens in case of accident. So the liability issue has to do with safety, nothing to do with the company that creates it - obviously the company believes it to be a good product if it has it out.

If I were you, I would live with the rock chips
Old 08-22-2008, 08:09 AM
BHCubed

Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud
Dude, you do realize the windshield is designed to shatter in a million pieces in the case of accident, correct? Now, put a sticky film over it and see what happens in case of accident. So the liability issue has to do with safety, nothing to do with the company that creates it - obviously the company believes it to be a good product if it has it out.

Yeah, that's what I figured was the issue. I know, but if the chips keep up at this rate I'm gonna have to drive my G Ace Ventura style in a few months, LOL.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud

In actuality the windshield glass is designed to not fly apart in a million pieces like the side windows. It is "laminated safety glass" which has a vinyl interlayer film that holds two pieces of glass together. You've seen enough movies with the old baseball bat to the windshield or the terminator trying to break out the windshield. It smashes, but doesn't go kablooey like the side windows. In any regard, don't put anything on it as has been said and replace it when necessary, even if that means once a year in your case.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM
HTP AutoWorks

My concern with it is that I have heard from about 3 people who had it isntalled that it is giving them head aches. I guess it can be a little fuzzy when looking through it when its installed. I have only heard this from 3 people and others have reported that there isnt any problems with it. I just dont want to put one on, someone has a wreck because of blurred vision, and then I am liable.

The other problem I have with it is I am hearing that it is not very durable. Well if Proline warrants it's film for 3 years and and after a year it wears out, then I have to provide the free labor for the re-install because they just cover the replacement film. So for it to be cost effective for me I would have to build that into the price and just plan on installing another kit for that car a year or so down the road. And in areas where you have to use your wipers a lot then it could be more often than that. This is just my opinion though.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
BHCubed

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
My concern with it is that I have heard from about 3 people who had it isntalled that it is giving them head aches. I guess it can be a little fuzzy when looking through it when its installed. I have only heard this from 3 people and others have reported that there isnt any problems with it. I just dont want to put one on, someone has a wreck because of blurred vision, and then I am liable.

The other problem I have with it is I am hearing that it is not very durable. Well if Proline warrants it's film for 3 years and and after a year it wears out, then I have to provide the free labor for the re-install because they just cover the replacement film. So for it to be cost effective for me I would have to build that into the price and just plan on installing another kit for that car a year or so down the road. And in areas where you have to use your wipers a lot then it could be more often than that. This is just my opinion though.
Yeah, that was one of my concerns as well, the transparency. That's why I asked that question first.

That's completely understandable. If the product fails because of the product, not the labor, why shouldn't you charge for labor? I agree with you on that. I appreciate your opinion, and it's nice to have one from someone who actually does intalls on this kinds of things. Thanks

Quick Reply: 3M Clear Bra users.