Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

scratched rear - will touch up paint pen 'fix' it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 AM
erm0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scratched rear - will touch up paint pen 'fix' it?

Hey guys,

Anyone who knows/used Nissan/Infiniti touch up paint pen, please take a look at this photo and tell me if you think it will sufficiently cover these nasty scratches?
Attached Thumbnails scratched rear - will touch up paint pen 'fix' it?-bo_scratches.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008, 05:14 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a good polish might be able to take that off.... if you use the touch paint pen, you'd be able to tell even from a distance...
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Sunny81

I have to agree with Blueslate. I wouldn't try that with a touch up paint. It's too much area. Try a polish and buff first. Should work, the scratches look pretty superficial. If that doesn't work that means the scratches are through to the base coat / primer. At that point you might want to check out drcolorchip.com. A little more expensive, but still a DIY that is a lot cheaper than having it repainted.

Edit: This should be moved to car care and detailing; there are several threads about caring for paint damage. Plus you'd probably get more responses there.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
06mtg35

An small wet sandin with a really fine grid and An good speed buffer should take that out, i paid $35 at my local dealer for something similar!!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
erm0

Thanks guys, will try your suggestions, thanks for warning me not to use the touch up paint!

ps. and yeah, I should've posted that elsewhere, sorry bout that.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
sahiwal007

post this at autopia.org, they will know if its fixable
Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Scoobyj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the old garage door rash. Better check before you close!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 AM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunny81
I have to agree with Blueslate. I wouldn't try that with a touch up paint. It's too much area. Try a polish and buff first. Should work, the scratches look pretty superficial. If that doesn't work that means the scratches are through to the base coat / primer. At that point you might want to check out drcolorchip.com. A little more expensive, but still a DIY that is a lot cheaper than having it repainted.

Edit: This should be moved to car care and detailing; there are several threads about caring for paint damage. Plus you'd probably get more responses there.
How good does that drcolorchip thing work
Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Sunny81

Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
How good does that drcolorchip thing work
I can't remember if I got that from a member on this forum or the one named after our car's manual transmission. But as I recall, the person had major rock dings and was able to get it very close to new. And they do color match. The only one I think they've had difficulty with, but I think they're able to do it, is the IP.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
so anyone use the drcolorchip thing before?

does it fix scratches? or just chips?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Sunny81

Originally Posted by aliiin

does it fix scratches? or just chips?
I personally haven't used it but I've bookmarked the site because later on down the road after a few long trips I know I'll be ordering. I'd probably try it on an inconspicuous place first.

But here's some text directly from the website.
http://drcolorchip.com/chip-repair-questions.html

"Our paint system is primarily designed to address chips, but it will work well on certain types of scratches, and poorly on others. There are several variables that determine repair quality:

* Deep Scratches - Deep, narrow scratches (1/16" or less) down to the metal will usually hold paint. As our paint is instantly malleable (in this case, tacky, yet removable), there is some flexibilty in finessing the paint into place. The various brushes in the kit also allow for more precise painting of scratches that can't effectively be repaired by our standard process.
* Wide Scratches - Wide scratches (1/16" or greater), gashes or other large defects will likely need to have the paint applied and left as is. Filling and spraying these types of damage is the only way to get a 'like new' repair.
* Light Surface Scratches - Generally these can be buffed out. If you can feel them with your fingernail, they might come out completely with some wet-sanding and buffing. Otherwise, our precision brush can be used to lightly apply the paint over the scratch and left as is.
* Key Scratches - We dont recommend buying our kit soley for fixing key scratches unless the vehicle color is dark, and the scratch is short and deep. A long key scratch on a light silver or gold car will show almost no difference, even if the paint completely fills the scratch. However, if you are not inclined to pay for a body shop repair, the special brushes in the kit will help you make the best repair possible.
* Vehicle Color - The color of the vehicle also determines the quality of the scratch repair. Darker colors always look better than light ones. A scratch on a black or dark red metallic vehicle will always look better afterward than on a light silver or gold one."

Gist of it seems to be, if it's light scratches, a polish would be your best bet. If it's really deep and you can feel the scratch, this might work well.