Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Xziloned my G37S

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
Isn't this just a long-life sealant like Zaino? $695 would buy a LOT of zaino applications, so I guess this is all about saving you time (2-3 hrs every 4-6 months).

I would most certainly have them re-apply as often as your contract allows!
Yes, that's correct.......it's just a high durability sealant that needs to be reapplied at regular intervals. Also, you void your warranty if you do any polishing or apply and waxes or sealants. Paying $700 for a sealant.......no thanks. My dealer asked me if I wanted this when I purchased my G and I declined before he could finish his sentence.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yes, that's correct.......it's just a high durability sealant that needs to be reapplied at regular intervals. Also, you void your warranty if you do any polishing or apply and waxes or sealants. Paying $700 for a sealant.......no thanks. My dealer asked me if I wanted this when I purchased my G and I declined before he could finish his sentence.
Wow.. Good to know. I wouldn't do this either because I enjoy a regular detail. Didn't know a wax on top of it would void the warranty. Learn something new everyday.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:57 AM
lingtsui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Really? It's just a high quality sealant? They claim its a molecular adhesive. Is that what sealant are? I amnot trying to be sarcastic... I really do not know...still new to the whole "car detailing" thing.
However this sealant allows dirty, bird crap, spray paint, and bugs to wipe right off. I experimented (not with my G but with the TL). Even when I first got my car brand new and it had 3 layers of wax, all polished and sealant applied... it did not have the same results as the Xzilon. When there was bird crap on it, it took me a while to get it off and after that it left a mark on my clear coat.
Perhaps it is a pricey sealant but at least I am know the service people at the Acura dealership that applied the sealant and they said they will reapply for me whenever I want.... and if I ever get my car repainted, they will reapply for me as well.
It is safe to say that I spent $600 on a peace of mind knowing that the car is better protected for the next 3 years against those stupid birds (and damn those people who feed them) love bugs, etc.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lingtsui
Really? It's just a high quality sealant? They claim its a molecular adhesive. Is that what sealant are? I amnot trying to be sarcastic... I really do not know...still new to the whole "car detailing" thing.
However this sealant allows dirty, bird crap, spray paint, and bugs to wipe right off. I experimented (not with my G but with the TL). Even when I first got my car brand new and it had 3 layers of wax, all polished and sealant applied... it did not have the same results as the Xzilon. When there was bird crap on it, it took me a while to get it off and after that it left a mark on my clear coat.
Perhaps it is a pricey sealant but at least I am know the service people at the Acura dealership that applied the sealant and they said they will reapply for me whenever I want.... and if I ever get my car repainted, they will reapply for me as well.
It is safe to say that I spent $600 on a peace of mind knowing that the car is better protected for the next 3 years against those stupid birds (and damn those people who feed them) love bugs, etc.

Unfortunately yes, it's basically just a high durability sealant. If you really want to know what the detailing community in general thinks of Xzilon, just do a search on Autopia.org and read a few threads. What I personally don't like about Xzilon the most is that it voids your warranty if you do any polishing, waxing, or sealing. There is no synthetic, polymer, or natural wax that can resist scratching in the clear coat......so basically you are not able to polish your car until the warranty is up. We all now how soft the paint is on the G, so I would hate to see what the paint condition looks like after 3 or 5 (years.....what every warranty period was given). IMO, the $695 spent on the Xzilon application would of been much better spent on a Porter Cable, pads, sealant, etc and still have a few hundred bucks to spare. But I guess I am pretty biased though since I have a detailing business.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
So is it still the general consensus that this stuff is crap (sealant + warranty)?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Wheelzntoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FourT2
So is it still the general consensus that this stuff is crap (sealant + warranty)?

Yes, buy 4* or Collinite or many other great sealants.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
[...They claim its a molecular adhesive. Is that what sealant are? I amnot trying to be sarcastic... I really do not know...still new to the whole "car detailing" thing]

Molecular adhesive = marketing BS

With this type of coating my best advice (besides don't bother with this grossly overpriced polymer sealant) is to check the contract small print
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelzntoys
Yes, buy 4* or Collinite or many other great sealants.
I've used Optimum Optiseal for years, I like it.

Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved!

I bought that little bottle for $25 in early 2010, still have about half left.